PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM- If I swap out, does it have to be flashed for my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM- If I swap out, does it have to be flashed for my truck?

If I buy a PCM for my truck at a junkyard, will it just swap out w/no probs?
Does it have to be vin matched or something bu the dealer before it will work? I want to get one do I have a spare after my little adventure with the superchips tuner.

Say I buy LS1Edit. Would it be easy to remove the high timing advance parameters, or tables that the superchips tuner may have left in my PCM during my problem yesterday when the superchips tuner crashed halfway thru the install, and now I notice my ! speed limiter is still there from the tuner box. I think it may have left remnants of the tuner in there, but not sure. I did some WOT Atap runs and got alot of KR, and I am running on 87 gas, because I have not had any tuning installed for ahwile and was experimenting with lower octance just for the stock program.
I saw from 5 to 7 degrees of KR on Atap during my WOT runs with the xcheap gas in there. Is it possible to get that much KR with the stock tune on 87 gas?
Sorry so long, but I really need help, as I am installing my supercharger soon, and I know that superchips tuning will cause havoc if it is still in there at all. Thanks! Sam

<small>[ February 14, 2003, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: samuriarte ]</small>
Old 02-14-2003, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: PCM- If I swap out, does it have to be flashed for my truck?

I can answer the first one for you. Without LS1edit experience though, I cannot answer the second one.

PCM replacement 2000 Chevrolet/Geo Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Replacement
Service of the powertrain control module (PCM) should normally consist of either replacement of the PCM or electrically erasable programmable read only memory (EEPROM) programming. If the diagnostic procedures call for the PCM to be replaced, the PCM should be inspected first to see if the correct part is being used. If the correct part is being used, remove the faulty PCM and install the new service PCM.

Important
To prevent internal PCM damage, the ignition must be OFF when disconnecting or reconnecting power to the PCM. For example, when working with a battery cable, PCM pigtail, PCM fuse, or jumper cables.

Important
Remove any debris from the PCM connector surfaces before servicing the PCM. Inspect the PCM module connector gaskets when diagnosing or replacing the PCM. Ensure that the gaskets are installed correctly. The gaskets prevent contaminant intrusion into the PCM.

Important
The replacement PCM will not be programmed. DTC P0601 and P0602 indicate the EEPROM is not programmed or has malfunctioned. The following MUST be performed anytime the PCM is replaced:

1) Programming of the EEPROM
2) The PCM Password Learn procedure -- Refer to DTC P1631 Theft Deterrent Start Enable Signal Not Correct .
3) The Idle Learn Procedure -- Refer to Idle Learn Procedure .
4) The Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn Procedure -- Refer to CKP System Variation Learn Procedure .
5) Resetting the engine oil life monitor -- Refer to GM Oil Life System - Resetting .
6) The Functional Check

The following must be performed anytime the PCM is disconnected, loses power, or is reprogrammed:

1) The Idle Learn Procedure -- Refer to Idle Learn Procedure .
2) The Functional Check

Removal Procedure

1) Release the PCM cover mounting holes (1,5) away from the mounting tabs on the PCM mounting bracket.
2) Release the PCM cover (8) from the mounting bracket.
3) Remove the PCM cover.

Notice

Do not touch the connector pins or soldered components on the circuit board in order to prevent possible electrostatic discharge (ESD) damage to the PCM.

Notice
In order to prevent internal damage to the PCM, the ignition must be OFF when disconnecting or reconnecting the PCM connector.

4) Disconnect the PCM harness connectors (6).
5) Release the spring latch (2) from the PCM.
6) Release the PCM mounting tabs (3) from the PCM.
7) Remove the PCM (4) from the engine compartment.

Installation Procedure

1) Install the PCM (4) to the PCM mounting bracket (7) ensuring that the mounting tabs (3) are engaged.
2) Secure the spring latch (2) to the PCM.

Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3)Connect the PCM connectors (6) to the PCM (4). Tighten
Tighten the PCM connector end fasteners to 8 N·m (70 lb in).

4) Install the PCM cover (8) to the PCM mounting bracket (7), ensuring the mounting tabs on the PCM mounting bracket are engaged into the mounting holes in the PCM cover.
5) If a new PCM is being installed, program the EEPROM.

PCM Programming
1) Setup -- Ensure that the following conditions have been met:
- The battery is fully charged.
- The ignition is ON.
2) Program the PCM using the latest software matching the vehicle. Refer to the Techline terminal/equipment users instructions.
3) If the PCM fails to program, proceed as follows:
- Ensure that all PCM connections are OK.
- Inspect the Techline terminal or equipment for the latest software version.
- Attempt to program the PCM. If the PCM still cannot be programmed properly, replace the PCM. The replacement PCM must be programmed.
4) Perform the PCM Password Learn procedure. Refer to DTC P1631 Theft Deterrent Start Enable Signal Not Correct .
5) Perform the Idle Learn Procedure. Refer to Idle Learn Procedure .
6) Perform the CKP System Variation Learn Procedure. Refer to CKP System Variation Learn Procedure .
7) Reset the engine oil life monitor. Refer to GM Oil Life System - Resetting .
8) Perform the Functional Check.

Functional Check

1) Clear the diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs).
2) Perform the Powertrain On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check.
3) Start the engine and idle the engine for 1 minute.
4) Use the scan tool in order to inspect for DTCs.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Procedure for PCM Password (DTC P1631) Theft Deterrent Start Enable Signal Not correct

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">DTC P1631 Theft Deterrent Start Enable Signal Not Correct
Circuit Description

This test checks for mismatched passwords between the body control module (BCM) and powertrain control module (PCM). Whenever replacing the BCM or PCM, follow the theft learn procedure in order for the system to learn the new password.

Conditions for Running the DTC
Mismatched passwords between the BCM and PCM

Conditions for Setting the DTC
- The PCM detects a wrong password from the BCM.
- Fuel disable lockout is set.
- The system has received an incorrect fuel continue password.
- A faulty ignition switch
- The BCM was replaced.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
- The engine starts and then the engine stalls immediately.
- The PCM stores the DTC information into memory when the diagnostic runs and fails.
- The malfunction indicator light (MIL) will not illuminate.
- The PCM records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The PCM stores this information in the Failure Records.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC
- A last test failed, or current DTC, clears when the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
- A history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other non-emission related diagnostic.
- Use a scan tool in order to clear the DTC.

Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

3) The 11 minute and 30 second time criteria are a minimum required amount of time. The time limit can exceed this limit without interfering with the Auto Learn Procedure. Use a scan tool VTD Auto Learn Timer equals Inactive in order to determine when the 11 minutes has expired.

6) If DTC P1631 is set, this indicates that you did not follow the procedure correctly. Perform the Re-learn procedure again.

Step 1
Did you perform the Powertrain On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check?
--
Yes: Go to Step 2
No: Go to Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check

Step 2

Important
Check for any body control module DTCs being set except if you were sent here from PCM Replacement before proceeding with this table. If a body control module DTC is set, refer to the appropriate BCM DTC.

Is a Tech 2® available?
--
Yes: Go to Step 4
No: Go to Step 3

Step 3

Important:
- This step is for United States and Canada vehicles only.
- Maintain the battery voltage while the PCM is in the Learn Procedure. Follow this procedure exactly as indicated or you will have to repeat the procedure from the beginning.

1) Turn ON the ignition, leaving the engine OFF for 11 minutes.
2) Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
3) Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF for 11 minutes.
4) Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
5) Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF for 11 minutes.
6) Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
7) Turn ON the ignition leaving the engine OFF and wait 30 seconds.
8) Attempt to start the engine.
Does the engine start and operate normally?
--
Yes: Go to Step 5
No: Go to Step 6

Step 4

Important
Maintain the battery voltage while the PCM is in the Learn Procedure. Follow this procedure exactly as indicated or you will have to repeat the procedure from the beginning.

1) Enter the service programming system (SPS) using a Tech 2®.
2) Enter the vehicle information.
3) Choose the Request Info soft key on the scan tool.
4) Select Done.
5) Follow the instructions on the vehicle set-up screen.
6) Disconnect the scan tool from the vehicle.
7) Connect the scan tool to the Techline terminal.
8) At the Techline terminal, select service programming system (SPS) and select terminal to Tech 2® programming method.
9) Select Done.
10) Follow the instructions on the remaining screens.
11) Select the vehicle theft re-learn option.
12) Select Program at the summary screen. The terminal will download information to the Tech 2.
13) Return the scan tool to the vehicle.
14) Connect the scan tool to diagnostic link connector (DLC).
15) Select Service Programming from the Tech 2 main menu.
16) Answer the prompts regarding the model year and vehicle type.
17) Press the Theft Re-learn soft key on the Tech 2.
18) Follow the instructions on the remaining screens.
- The PCM and the BCM will be prepared for re-learn.
- A security timer will be on for approximately 11 minutes. It is important that during the 11 minute-wait, the user keeps the scan tool connected to the vehicle.
- When the PCM and the BCM are prepared to re-learn, turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds and then start the engine.

--
Yes: Go to Step 5

Step 5

Important:
Monitor all DTC status parameters and note any additional DTCs before clearing DTCs.

1) Clear the powertrain control module (PCM) DTCs.
2) Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
3) Attempt to start the engine.

--
Yes: System OK

Step 6
Are DTCs P1626 or P1631 set?
--
Yes: Go to applicable DTC table
No: Go to Step 2</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Idle Learn Procedure
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Idle Learn Procedure
Idle Learn Procedure
Anytime the powertrain control module (PCM) or the battery is disconnected, the PCM loses power, or the PCM is reprogrammed, the PCMs learned idle position is lost. The engine idle is unstable when the learned idle position is lost.

Perform the following procedure in order to return the learned idle to the correct position:

Automatic Transmission
1) Turn OFF the ignition.
2) Restore the PCM battery feed.
3) Turn OFF the A/C controls.
4) Set the parking brake and block the drive wheels.
5) Start the engine.
6) Ensure that the engine coolant temperature is more than 80°C (176°F).
7) Shift the transmission into Drive.
8) Allow the engine to idle for 5 minutes.
9) Shift the transmission into Park.
10) Allow the engine to idle for 5 minutes.
11) Turn OFF the engine for 30 seconds.

Manual Transmission
1) Turn OFF the ignition.
2) Restore the PCM battery feed.
3) Turn OFF the A/C controls.
4) Set the parking brake and block the drive wheels.
5) Place the transmission in Neutral.
6) Start the engine.
7) Ensure that the engine coolant temperature is more than 80°C (176°F).
8) Allow the engine to idle for 5 minutes.
9) Turn OFF the engine for 30 seconds.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">CKP System Variation Learn Procedure

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">CKP System Variation Learn Procedure

Important
While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator and the engine responds to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.

1) Connect the scan tool.
2) Apply the vehicles parking brake.
3) Block the drive wheels.
4) Close the vehicles hood.
5) Place the vehicles transmission in Park (A/T) or Neutral (M/T).
6) Idle the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches 65°C (150°F).
7) Turn OFF all the accessories.
8) Apply the brakes for the duration of the procedure.

Important
If the CKP System Variation Learn Procedure cannot be completed successfully, refer to DTC P1336 Crankshaft Position (CKP) System Variation Not Learned for additional diagnostic information.

9) Use the scan tool in order to enable the Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn Procedure.
10) Slowly accelerate the engine speed to 4,000 RPM.
11) Immediately release the throttle when the engine speed decreases.
12) Turn OFF the ignition for 15 seconds after the learn procedure is completed successfully.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">GM Oil Life System - Resetting (this is also in the owners manual)
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">GM Oil Life System - Resetting
The engine oil life monitor will indicate when to change the engine oil - usually between 5,000 km (3,000 miles) and 12,500 km (7,500 miles) since the last oil change. Under severe conditions, the CHANGE OIL SOON light may be displayed before 5,000 km (3,000 miles). The vehicle must not be driven more than 12,500 km (7,500 miles) or 12 months without an oil change.

The engine oil life monitor will not detect dust in the oil. If the vehicle is driven in a dusty area, be sure to change the oil every 5,000 km (3,000 miles) or sooner if the CHANGE OIL SOON light is displayed.

Reset the oil life monitor when the oil has been changed, use the following procedure.

1) Turn the ignition key to the RUN position.
2) Fully push and release the accelerator pedal 3 times within 5 seconds. If the CHANGE OIL SOON light flashes 2 times, the system is reset. However if the light comes on and stays on for 5 seconds, the system did not reset. Repeat the he procedure if the system does not reset.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
Old 02-15-2003, 12:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Holy smokes!! Thanks for that! Now a simple Q.

Does all this mean I cannot just swap a junkyard PCM and it runs?

It sounds like it is a real big deal, meaning forget doing it myself if I have to.
Thanks again for the help!! Sam
Old 02-15-2003, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nope. If it weren't for the theft Deterrent issue (DTC P1631) it'd at least run good enough to do the idle re-learn, crank re-learn, and oil life system reset.

But that Theft Deterrent system will shut the motor down immediately if the VIN# being compared between the PCM and BCM don't match.

Quick Reply: PCM- If I swap out, does it have to be flashed for my truck?