Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SES and TCS OFF lights on

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SES and TCS OFF lights on

I was driving down the highway and the transmision starts cutting out. The TCS OFF light comes on and I can't turn it off by pushing the TCS button. Then the SES light comes on. When the transmission shifts through the gears it "double shifts". It hits two times in each gear like it didn't engage the first time. Then in overdrive at 70 mph it studdors like it's trying to shift again. Why is the traction control light coming on? Why can't I turn it off? This is NOT the "low traction light". It doesn't come on.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JWest
I was driving down the highway and the transmision starts cutting out. The TCS OFF light comes on and I can't turn it off by pushing the TCS button. Then the SES light comes on. When the transmission shifts through the gears it "double shifts". It hits two times in each gear like it didn't engage the first time. Then in overdrive at 70 mph it studdors like it's trying to shift again. Why is the traction control light coming on? Why can't I turn it off? This is NOT the "low traction light". It doesn't come on.
I have a similar issue also, my tcs light on my guages is lit and the ses light is on, and I am losing a lot of power. Any ideas guys???
Old 05-31-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Does the crappy performance only occur when the TCS light comes on? Or does the crappy performance occur then the TCS light comes on? Take the fuse out for the TCS and see if you can get away from the crappiness. Could be in the TCS system.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:48 PM
12 Second Club

Scan the codes, it will probably be MAP/MAF related or P0121 Throttle Position sensor performance. The TCS turns itself off when the readings are in conflict and the PCM goes in to speed density mode, which is probably the loss of power you're feeling.

It's all in the tuning. When the speed density calculation differs from the MAF reading enough the PCM has a shitfit.

If your car is stock it's probably a failed TPS/MAF/MAP sensor - the code should tell you which one.

I'm trying to learn more about this behavior myself - if anyone has any info please enlighten us !

Bad30th
Old 06-01-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Veteran

I like Bad30th's explanation better.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dhdenney
I like Bad30th's explanation better.
minor update on this issue, it only seems to do it with the ac on?
Old 06-15-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is the SES light you're getting? scan the car and let us know the DTC
Old 06-15-2005, 05:11 PM
12 Second Club

Betcha it's P0121 Throttle position sensor performance. That's what it always is on mine. It can also be a P0101 MAF code if the PCM thinks its the MAF and not the TPS that's off.

The A/C on will affect the MAP and MAF airflow enough to throw the speed density calculation out of whack if it's on the verge of the variance already. The PCM is consistently checking the MAF value against the speed density calculation to make sure they jive with eachother. When they don't the TCS turns off, and the PCM resorts to speed density.

For a given amount of airflow, the PCM expects a certain MAP and MAF reading. Drilling the TB hole too big can whack this airflow calculation, some big cams can whack this calculation due to changes in MAP for a given airflow.

Please someone correct me if what I'm saying is wrong, but this is what I've seen based on personal experience.

Cheers,
Rob (Bad30th)
Old 07-02-2005, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bad30th
Scan the codes, it will probably be MAP/MAF related or P0121 Throttle Position sensor performance. The TCS turns itself off when the readings are in conflict and the PCM goes in to speed density mode, which is probably the loss of power you're feeling.

It's all in the tuning. When the speed density calculation differs from the MAF reading enough the PCM has a shitfit.

If your car is stock it's probably a failed TPS/MAF/MAP sensor - the code should tell you which one.

I'm trying to learn more about this behavior myself - if anyone has any info please enlighten us !

Bad30th

So do you think this is tuning issue, or do you think I could just replace my tps and fix this. Has anyone found a solution to this??

I went to the track last night and for the first time and was pretty disappointed. Although the light was not on when I was racing because I didn't turn the a/c on, I was only trapping like 107 mph with all the stuff on my sig I should be like 4-5 mph faster.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

See what code it is, you need that before we can even begin to help. Any semi serious driveability issues (enough to affect the way it runs) will switch the TCS off automatically. If it only does it with the A/C on, the extra load on the engine may bring out or enhance the bad behavior. You may even have a compressor locking up. We need more information to be able to help you.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem when I left a ground wire loose near the shock towers.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Will I still be able to pull the code, even if the ses light has gone off? I drove today with the a/c on trying to trigger the lights and nothing happened.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, most codes stay in "history" for about 40 cycles.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

ok bad30th was right, the code is p0121 tps/pedal position sensor. Should I go ahead and just replace the sensor??
Old 07-02-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check this thread first. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=po121
Old 07-02-2005, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Reading that thread, I think maybe the A/C high pressure switch, could be it, I will try disconnecting it. Since this does seem to happen when I turn the a/c on it makes sense. I don't think it would be the shaner throttle body since I installed it over a year ago and never got any codes from it until now
Old 07-21-2005, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

I hate to dig up an old thread, but I finally got around to replacing the high pressure a/c switch, and I am still getting the problem. Any other ideas on this guys? I would like to avoid having this tuned out if possible. Has anyone solved this without tuning? It seems to be mostly people with aftermarket cams having this problem.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:11 AM
12 Second Club

You can resolve the code with tuning, but it doesn't resolve the root cause, it just makes it not throw the code.

To desensitise the code, change the P0121 MAP window settings on the code to Min 35 Max 100.

To correct the root cause, figure out why your MAP vs. TPS vs. MAF values are out of whack vs. your tune.

For most folks, just desensitizing the MAP window is good enough.

Bad30th