PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hyPERTECH SETTINGS

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 02:38 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: hyPERTECH SETTINGS

If you have a truly stock engine, A4, no aftermarket TC, I would not look to pick up a whole lot, but some, from adjusting the shift points. Also, I would not set the rev limit above 6300 on a stock valvetrain.
Shift firmness is a matter of personal preference. Before installing a ST3500 TC, the stock settings were fine. I'm now running at the HPP3 50% setting.
The most gain would be found from a better TC instead of gears, unless you just like the gear route better. I have 2.73s, and it feels mild until you put your foot down. The few M6s I've run from a slow roll, I have beaten.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:12 PM
Teching In

IMO I would not do to much with the presure settings, maybe 50% because it is a bandade for a slug shifting tranny. I would do a TransGo shift kit or favorite brand to do it right. I agree with the rev limit, 6300 with stock internals is fine, stock cams peak well before that. Setting will very from car to car because of tranny wear, shift lag, year of car, TM, mods, blah blah blah. The best way I found was to take it to the track (safe place) and do some beat runs to test your shift settings and adjust as needed. You should feel when the car noses over on the top of each gear or short shifts a gear, adjust as needed. The biggest problem I had with HPP3 was the upshift speed and down shift speeds were to close and I would get a double shift 1-2 2-1 1-2 at the track, went down 1 point on 1-2 fixed it. Each mod I did needed different shift point settings. There are no black and white settings for this, all cars differ. Good luck, be safe.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have an M6 and not an a4 but i used the HPP 3 to adjust my speedo after my gear change and raise my rev limiter. Be careful since you live in FL if you use the power program. I had it in my car and had to remove it because the hazy hot and humid summer days up here in Baltimore cause detonation problems for me. The only thing that fixed the pinging was running Sunoco GT plus 100 but at $3.79 a gallon i couldn't afford that for ever. I"ll be the first to tell you the power program will make a world of difference in the low end to mid range. But once you get above 4,500 rpms the car will feel like it is running out of power. I removed the power program and the car runs much better now pulling a lot harder on the top end.
Old 03-28-2003, 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

since the time i wrote that i tried the hypertech settings and ***so far*** all is great ive only ran it to the top of 2nd beacouse i was on a short strech and that was just over 100 (from a dead standstill) but it seemed to work good as far as shift point firmness i use to have it set on 25% and now (75%) if feels like its shifing much more smooth espaclly the 1-2 i can't even feel the shifts its weird to say the least. so i guess my main question is hypertech said go 6600 on revlimit and that the ls1 can do that all day long with no problems .. im kinda concerned ...is this safe for a mostly stock ls1
Old 03-28-2003, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

come to think about it it mighta been into 3rd ... it dont seem possible for the car to hit 100 in 2nd but thats i rember i know it was not the top of 3rd beacouse before top of 3rd was about 140....???? (im little confused but i know i ran it up to about 100....also whats stock tire height for a NON-ws6 trans am
Old 03-28-2003, 11:01 PM
TECH Junkie

also az28 i did have that prblem but for some reason it went away when i switched over to mobil 1 and i also told hypertech about it and they reprogramed my unit for my car no charge after i threatened to return it. so far all is good in that area. we see when it gets real hot in the next month or 2
Old 03-29-2003, 12:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Default hyPERTECH SETTINGS

i own a hpp3 and a 02 ta with a4 tranny and am looking for the best settings for it as far as shift point firmness rev limiter shiftpoints ect. hypertech told me to go +3,+5, +9 on my shiftpoints and 75% increase inn firmness along with a rev limit of 6600 rpm my car is mostly stock besides the usual boltons, a tranny cooler, and 3.42 gears instead of 2.73 what do youall think ???????

PSI need help, not people trashing hypertech everyone has an opnion im not gonna argue over predator or ls1 edit or whatever the pp3 works good for me i just need help setting it up)
Old 03-29-2003, 07:34 AM
Teching In

Read the 2 posts under your firt question, 6300 is more than enough of a rev limit, rev it to 6600 rpm on a stock valve train and you will have valves kissing pistons. You will be shifting well before 6300 on a stock cam, why set it to 6600, yes the bottom end will take it but the valve springs will not, use the 6300 rev limit to save your engine.
Old 03-29-2003, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

im not tring to disagree just wondering.... humm everybody on this forum says 63 so far but others i have talked to say 66 is fine hypertech says 66 but u all make a good point
Old 03-29-2003, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

Here's what I set on my 99 SS with an FIPK, descreened MAF and polished (not ported) ends:

Power tuning set for RFG. This reduced the pinging I experienced when it was set to non-RFG. This option is not available for post 1999 vehicles.

Rpm limit 6400 (6600 is too high IMO as it will surge past 6700 when shifting. Anyway, you'll out of the usable power band and just be pushing rpm's when what it really needs is to shift to the next gear)

1-2 shift +3
2-3 shift +5
3-4 shift +5 (the A4 does a good job when shifting to top gear at WOT...however, I'm running stock gears in the butt so maybe a higher setting would be beneficial for your setup)

I bumped up the firmness to 100% from 75%...the difference was more noticeable than when going from 50 to 75%.

Not everyone has the time, skill, inclination, etc. to go the Edit or Predator route. With HPP3's going for $150 it's worth it for what you achieve.

HTH
Old 03-29-2003, 06:25 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks acrom .. o yea i ran it 4 times today in a row to the drop of 4th each time and loved it seems to be going well the tac reads about 6400 for the 2-3 shift and about the same for the 3-4 but i guess thats illrevlant since the f-body tach is a little slow sometimes...so far hypertech's settings feel the fastest out of anything ive tried and they insist that its safe ...... but thanks for all your opnions!
keep em commin im still undecided

Quick Reply: hyPERTECH SETTINGS