Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help I can't pass emissions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help I can't pass emissions!!!

I had a friend perminatly delet my air pump (I removed the pump) so i could stop the ses light from coming on. Will this cause the ECU to read not ready when it is scanned because my car is doing just that.

But, I did clear the codes within a few drive cycles of the emissions scan.
How many start cycles would a car with an air pump need to show ready? Will my car eventually show ready?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When you take off your AIR, EGR, rear o2's, the computer will test the "readiness" of these componets to see if they are working correctly.

You don't have an SES light on? Here is all the codes that you need to set to "Not Reported" for the AIR. Then set the SES for these codes to "On". You should now be able to pass the readiness test for the AIR.

P0410 AIR System
P0412 AIR Solenoid relay control circuit
P0418 AIR Pump Relay Control Circuit
P1415 AIR System Bank 1
P1416 AIR System Bank 2
Old 03-03-2006, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Thanks ls1muscle,

I do not have a ses light on right now. I had a guy I don’t know very well clear the code for me so it would never set the light. I even asked him if his fix would show up when my car was scanned for emissions and he said no. Are you saying he may have set the code to not report but didn’t set the ses light to on for all the codes that you mentioned above?

I’m not familiar with any ls1 tuning software so I want to make sure that I understand how to communicate what needs to be done to correct my problem.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There is a difference between setting codes and readiness tests. Readiness tests can be made permanently 'ready' by the before mentioned procedure. You need someone with HPTuners/EFI Live/ Similar product to do that.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Can someone explain to me the procedure for accomplishing this in hp tuners so that when I find someone to do this for me I can clearly explain how it's done. I just want to make sure it gets done right this time.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Launching!

This from the service manual.
Read the part about the cats.Maybe your failing because of start up emissions and not just the ses light.I removed and blocked all the check valves and piping,left the pump hooked up,but discharge hose pointing under the motor,i thought this would cure my check engine light...wrong,the o2 sensors are picking up the lack of flow and raising emission.I don't think just deleting the codes will solve it.You may need to tune the open loop leaner to try and bring down the start up emissions and satisfy the front o2 sensors and smog machine.

Results of Incorrect Operation

If no air (oxygen) flow enters the exhaust stream, the start-up emission levels will rise. The control module can detect a system flow problem using the pre-catalyst HO2S and short-term Fuel Trim (FT) . If a system flow problem is present the HO2S voltage will not indicate an expected lean condition, short-term FT will not increase and a DTC will set.

If incorrect voltage is present on the vacuum control solenoid or the pump relay control circuits the device will not operate. This will be detected by the control module, and a DTC will set.

The following DTCs can set if a secondary air injection fault is detected:

P0410- A system flow problem has been detected.
P0412-A vacuum control solenoid control circuit problem has been detected.
P0418- A pump relay control circuit problem has been detected.
P1415-A Bank 1 flow problem has been detected.
P1416-A Bank 2 flow problem has been detected.

Last edited by H-5-L; 03-03-2006 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by H-5-L
This from the service manual.
Read the part about the cats.Maybe your failing because of start up emissions and not just the ses light.I removed and blocked all the check valves and piping,left the pump hooked up,but discharge hose pointing under the motor,i thought this would cure my check engine light...wrong,the o2 sensors are picking up the lack of flow and raising emission.I don't think just deleting the codes will solve it.You may need to tune the open loop leaner to try and bring down the start up emissions and satisfy the front o2 sensors and smog machine.

Results of Incorrect Operation

If no air (oxygen) flow enters the exhaust stream, the start-up emission levels will rise. The control module can detect a system flow problem using the pre-catalyst HO2S and short-term Fuel Trim (FT) . If a system flow problem is present the HO2S voltage will not indicate an expected lean condition, short-term FT will not increase and a DTC will set.

If incorrect voltage is present on the vacuum control solenoid or the pump relay control circuits the device will not operate. This will be detected by the control module, and a DTC will set.

The following DTCs can set if a secondary air injection fault is detected:

P0410- A system flow problem has been detected.
P0412-A vacuum control solenoid control circuit problem has been detected.
P0418- A pump relay control circuit problem has been detected.
P1415-A Bank 1 flow problem has been detected.
P1416-A Bank 2 flow problem has been detected.
hl5, I do not have a check engine light. The system just shows not ready when the emissions station plugs in their scanner.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Post #2 explained the codes needed to have the air readiness pass, all set to 'not reported'.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes set those codes to "not reported" as stated above, but make sure you have the ses light enabled for those codes or it will not read complete.

Chris
Old 03-06-2006, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys I should be able to get this taken care of now
Old 03-12-2006, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have "No MIL" and "Turn Off" listed in edit...which is the equivalent of "not reported"?

Thanks!

Chad
Old 03-14-2006, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chadtn
I have "No MIL" and "Turn Off" listed in edit...which is the equivalent of "not reported"?

Thanks!

Chad
Chad,

So all I have to do to pass emissions is set the code to "No MIL" and "Turn Off"? Will it be the same with Hp Tuners. Just asking because I still haven't got around to doing anything yet.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

I flashed back to my Hypertech tune and modified it, so that it was one of my good tunes and that the MAF was installed on my 2001 trans am so I could pass inspections.

My secondary air system is saying not ready, which it is connected and the tune is the EXACT hypertech tune, except the PE table and the spark table.
Air pump on time is 190 and all the other settings are default(stock)

ALSO the oxygen sensor heater says not ready. I deleted my rear O2's (put sims on them, and then ended up putting them to not reported)
I do not know if the heater means the front oxygen sensors, or the rear. I THINK the front. But why wouldn't they be ready???

I have a wideband hooked up and I'm reading excellent AFR across the board(~14.6 at idle and part throttle) and the car has been driven around 225+miles. Several of the 'not ready' items have become ready...do i need more driving?
Attached Thumbnails Help I can't pass emissions!!!-epa-stuff-pass.jpg  
Old 03-15-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

somebody....I just want to understand why they aren't ready yet
Old 03-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
somebody....I just want to understand why they aren't ready yet
Kooks 1 3/4 headers and cold weather in Charlotte . . .

You will need to turn off the front O2 testing as well.

Last edited by Cal; 03-15-2006 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

how do you go about turning off the testing? just the DTC under engine diagnostics?

so what just turn off the heater performance? p0155 and p0161
Old 03-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, I think you have to turn off all tests on the O2's, since cold O2s can cause multiple errors. I used LS1edit, others have used HPTuners. There is another thread where somebody listed each one; it took me three trys to get them all. Just make sure you keep the SES enabled or you will still get "Not Ready" errors. So for each one, fill it out "on" "off" if using LS1edit.

Quick Reply: Help I can't pass emissions!!!