Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuning for no map sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tuning for no map sensor?

I recently picked up an ls6 intake and the hole in the back for the map sensor was plugged. The intake came off a high dollar car built for road racing. What benefits would no map sensor give you? Im just trying to figure out why that hole was plugged.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plugged for shipping purposes?
Old 03-09-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

no, it came off the car that way. I saw it running before I got it, so I know it ran...and damn fast!
Old 03-09-2006, 05:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm... well i know that the computer in factory uses the map as a back up, maybe you can turn it off in the computer, but i would try to run the map, you can run the map on the side of the intake where the vacuum port for A/C vents, tee that off and run the map off of that.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

In a road racing application, you are generally either 100% throttle, or none at all. That's how you go fast. In an application such as that, you don't need the resolution of a MAP sensor as you only have a couple of variables that matter (TPS and RPM to be exact). TPS is a pretty easy one...it is usually (in a road race environment) either 0 or 100. RPMs are pretty straightforward as well.

If he wasn't running a MAP sensor, then he had tuned his car using an Alpha-N method (TPS vs RPM), which our cars can't do from the factory (at least not without running like ****). Now, you can run a custom operating system to do this same thing (available through HPT or Live), but it only serves to multiply the VE table value (at least that's how it works in HPT). But normally, the fueling is based on MAP vs. RPM (as that is how our VE tables are set up). If you are using a MAF, that has its own inputs (but I didn't trust mine, so it adorns my shelf).

Bottom line, on a car that is driven on the street, you need a MAP sensor to make sure it runs properly. There aren't too many drives to work where I'm going either 100% throttle or 0% throttle, and nothing in between. Resolution is the key to driveability on the street, which is why manufacturers use MAP sensors (to make sure these cars run optimally for emissions purposes).
Old 03-09-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

That makes sense. And it was a stand alone fuel management system (either motec or EFI cant remember which...wanna say efi) So basically anything that runs WOT 95% of the time doesn't need the fine driveablility tuning that the MAP provides. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

The map is also needed to calculate injector flow rate.