Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick VE table question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 08:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Quick VE table question

I finally got a good warm sunny weekend to do my SD tune. Well my LTFT's were around -10 to -16 It took a full day sat riding around to get them around -4 to -7. Ok now yesterday I went logging again since the temps were the same. Once I got them that low I was copying & pasting precentage instead of adding the cells to the VE table. They got a tad better now. Now that the LTFT's are that low it low RPMs the car acts like the fuel pump quits, I can start it & it will idle fine but as soon as you give it gas it trys to die & doesnt rev. Did I miss something or did I take to much from the VE table down low?

Thanks
Old 03-13-2006, 09:02 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you might want to serioiusly consider tuning with a wideband rather then trims in your car...just a suggestion.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:22 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by foff667
you might want to serioiusly consider tuning with a wideband rather then trims in your car...just a suggestion.
Yeah I know, I was just really trying to get the LTFT's closer then what they were. I do plan on plugging the MAF back in after I get them close. Could that be what it was though?
Old 03-13-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tweaked the cylinder volume data in the tune? That might cause an issue if you haven't.

I would suspect a mechanical (or sensor) issue rather than a VE issue. I've never seen a car run worse with a more accurate tune.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Please post when you figure it out. I was having the same problems and the wideband read way lean when it starting reving up. Plugging in the maf totally corrected the problem, but couldn't get the sd working. Played with ve values and ifr table and still no luck.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SMOKINV8
Have you tweaked the cylinder volume data in the tune? That might cause an issue if you haven't.

I would suspect a mechanical (or sensor) issue rather than a VE issue. I've never seen a car run worse with a more accurate tune.
It will only do it down low, that seems to be the problem area on the VE table. The cylinder volume has been adjusted, it already had a full out tune. The only thing I added since I last tuned was a FAST 90 & a NW TB. So that threw my LTFT's off pretty bad.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its possible that you didn't log enough frames in the problem area to get a good ve value. If the problem goes away with your maf plugged in, it would probably be easy to overlay the graphs of dynamic airflow and maf airflow with the maf disabled (set the fail frequency to 0). Then you could easily see if the dynamic airflow is too low or too high when it happens.

What is your spark advance doing when this happens? Anything weird? Also don't A4 cars have issues with going mafless?

Also, I don't know if I read this right, but you didn't have issues before the FAST 90/90 combo? It could be possible that you have a vacuum leak. That would show up at low rpms and it would also make it impossible to tune from fuel trims.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:23 PM
10 Second Club

I got it. Plugged the MAF back in an adjusted the RAF table a bit to bring them down. I had to multiply it by 20%. Is this normal?
Old 03-15-2006, 05:34 AM
TECH Regular

You decreased the RAF values?
Old 03-15-2006, 08:22 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98A4LS1
You decreased the RAF values?
I took the MAF Air Flow Freq. table and multiplyed the whole table by 20%. So far after only 20 or so miles the ltft's still stay close to zero. It hasnt acted like it wanted to die since. Runs good.

When my car was having those issues, after many miles/hours of logging the LTFT's were showing 10-13. I couldnt get them no lower than 9. By then I think I had already taken too much from the VE table. I would log, make the changes, copy the Primary to the secondary VE table then loaded, reset fuel trims then logged some more. When I first started they were around 16-17, so they did change but it took all day to get them down that low.

BTW- I also loaded the other tune back in then modifyed, I didnt use the one that I had been changing the VE table
Old 03-15-2006, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

This just doesn't sound right.

Are you sure you disabled/disconnected the MAF when you were trying to do your LTFT VE tuning? If you didn't, the LTFT's wouldn't change much when you were modifying the VE table, and eventually a low enough VE could cause the problems you describe.

If your MAF is connected you can get the car to run fine (for the most part) just by tweaking the MAF tables, but its not completely safe. Sharp throttle changes aren't going to be even remotely accurate with a combo like yours.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:04 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SMOKINV8
This just doesn't sound right.

Are you sure you disabled/disconnected the MAF when you were trying to do your LTFT VE tuning? If you didn't, the LTFT's wouldn't change much when you were modifying the VE table, and eventually a low enough VE could cause the problems you describe.

If your MAF is connected you can get the car to run fine (for the most part) just by tweaking the MAF tables, but its not completely safe. Sharp throttle changes aren't going to be even remotely accurate with a combo like yours.
Yeah I was positive the MAF was disabled. Set the freq to 0, even unpluged it. Got 3 codes for the MAF so I disabled the light for them.

Now, I loaded the previous tune I had before I started VE tuning, the LTFTs were back around +16 as before. I keep multiplying the MAF tables by precentages till I found a good precentage where the LTFT's seemed to be close. What do you mean this is not safe? What do you suggest I do then? If you'd like I can send you the tune if you want to take a look at it. Just PM me your email address. Not sure if I still have the problem tune still saved or not. Ill have to check into that on.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Calling it, "Not safe," might not be entirely accurate, but not having an accurate VE leaves you open to lean (or rich) spots during quicker throttle changes. The nature of how a MAF works won't let it respond to quick throttle changes, so the PCM is set up so it references predetermined fueling values (VE table) which should provide the right amount of fuel when the MAF might not read right. Its part of the hybrid SD/MAF system that the PCM uses.