PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the best way to tune with wide band???

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what is the best way to tune with wide band???

i am trying to dial in ve table using wide band. i realize speed density mode is a good start, but i have also heard of such things like open loop and closed loop speed density. what method would be best for my setup. i am tunning a supercharged car running 12 lbs of boost on a 383 stroker. let me know what you think.

ed
Old 03-21-2006, 02:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you've got hptuners or efilive I would definitly upgrade to a 2 or 3 bar map sensor & OS.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some people choose Open Loop SD cause there are less variables to worry about. Other use Close Loop SD this is typically where you drive your car at. In the end, I guess it's all about preference. I'm sure someone will chime in with a more informative perspective.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are running FI you will need to run open loop after about 80kpa and throughout your boost range. You can probably run closed loop up to that point fine.
Anything other than stoich is open loop controlled. (anything not using o2 for feedback)
Old 03-21-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by edstrokedta
i am trying to dial in ve table using wide band. i realize speed density mode is a good start, but i have also heard of such things like open loop and closed loop speed density. what method would be best for my setup. i am tunning a supercharged car running 12 lbs of boost on a 383 stroker. let me know what you think.

ed
Here's what I do without getting too specific...

- set PE table where you desire the AFR to be in PE mode
- tune VE table in SD/OL mode
- tune MAF table in OL mode
- tweak MAF table in CL mode as needed (if you did everything correctly beforehand this should be very little work)
- tweak timing tables

I personally think it is important to tune in OL for the first two steps for the simple reason that while the MAF may go out on you an O2 sensor may go out on you as well and send you into OL mode. If you have a high $$ engine you will have given yourself a very reasonable safety net in the worst case scenario.

Tim
Old 03-21-2006, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the quick input guys. i think i will try the sd/ol to start off. i will try it out and get back with you. thanks again