Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble starting, staying above idle, dying in and out

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble starting, staying above idle, dying in and out

I've been having this problem for a couple weeks now.

Sometimes, not all the time, just sometimes...the car will start, but then refuse to hold idle. It will drop to about 300rpm, surge to 600, and go back and forth and refuse to idle. Other times, it starts just fine.

A week after that started, I got an SES light. P0135, O2 sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1. Didn't really affect driveability.

Now I notice that when the car is doing its surging issues, it clears the code (which comes back after a couple starts again). So this leads me to believe its a battery issue.

Then yesterday, while accelerating decently hard down the road, the car's electrical system cut in and out. Everything- lights, engine, everything. The car would turn off and back on again within a fraction of a second, did that about 7 or 8 times, then ran fine after I turned it off and restarted on the fly. This also, naturally, cleared the code again.

I'm kinda at a loss. Is my battery bad? The terminals are clean and properly connected. What could it be?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt Am I in the wrong forum?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Toasty
I've been having this problem for a couple weeks now.

Sometimes, not all the time, just sometimes...the car will start, but then refuse to hold idle. It will drop to about 300rpm, surge to 600, and go back and forth and refuse to idle. Other times, it starts just fine.

A week after that started, I got an SES light. P0135, O2 sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1. Didn't really affect driveability.
You most likely answered your own problem. The B1S1 O2 controls fueling for half of the motor. If it's faulty, then you could either be running really rich or really lean on that side of the motor and that WOULD most definitely cause surging/stalling/driveability issues. Switch the drivers side O2 with the passenger side O2. If the problem follows the sensor, then it's time to buy a new sensor.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ah, good call on the easy diagnosis. I'll try that.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:09 AM
Staging Lane

You've got other issues if all the power is going in and out. Check near the battery, starter (fusable links), alternator, and fuse block for a flaky connection, or burning wire.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:35 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

Don't forget about the infamous battery tray nubbin' that brakes off really easily on these cars. I have personally seen 3 cars including my own that had this problem. When you go WOT the battery slides into the A/C accumulator and the Pos lead shorts, cutting all power till you let off and the batt slides back. Check the battery for being secure and look at the accumulator for arcing signs. Simple stuff first.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:07 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a large power wire that was shorting against the headers ... turned everything in the car on and off and made the car surge all over the place when it happened. Just look around your headers to see if any wires are being burnt and shorting ... makes it really easy to see if you can do it at night.

You could definately have a bad O2 sensor as well ... both problems working together might be causing your issue.