PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower than expected dyno numbers from LS2 402. HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your tune isn't done (and obviously it's not), I wouldn't be so disappointed over those numbers just yet. I definitely agree you need bigger injectors (and possibly a little help for the fuel pump). Those stockers won't last long and you could potentially have bigger problems on your hands. Based on the fact that you mentioned AFR's were at or bellow 12.0 along with KR of 1~3 degrees, you've still got some work to do. I'd double check your OLFA/PE tables, make sure COT protection is disabled and work on the spark map for starters. You may need to tweak the KR settings (although I question the logic of '98s having issues with this when you replaced the motor???). Keep trying...I'm sure you'll get where you want to be eventually. Just might need a few more supporting parts to get there.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:06 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll send you my tune and my last scan.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:11 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
If your tune isn't done (and obviously it's not), I wouldn't be so disappointed over those numbers just yet. I definitely agree you need bigger injectors (and possibly a little help for the fuel pump). Those stockers won't last long and you could potentially have bigger problems on your hands. Based on the fact that you mentioned AFR's were at or bellow 12.0 along with KR of 1~3 degrees, you've still got some work to do. I'd double check your OLFA/PE tables, make sure COT protection is disabled and work on the spark map for starters. You may need to tweak the KR settings (although I question the logic of '98s having issues with this when you replaced the motor???). Keep trying...I'm sure you'll get where you want to be eventually. Just might need a few more supporting parts to get there.
COT is disabled. The engine is new but the sensors are old and they are not in the stock (in valley cover) location. They are on either side of the block. I am going to hopefully do the leakdown test today and if I don't get anywhere with that, I am going to pull the valve covers and check the pushrods, rockers and springs. I think that my problem is in the valvetrain. I hope that it is in the top and not something like the lifters.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Restricted User

Problem fixed thanks to Tony @ AFR and Hank @ SLP. Both of these guys were awesome and helped me open my eyes. As it turns out, the problem was in the valve train. My cam was one tooth out. What a difference a tooth makes. Now I have to retune the car from scratch......with pleasure!
Old 05-02-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats the good word? Have you redynoed the car yet? Bigger injectors and fuel pump and a retune?
Old 05-02-2006, 03:04 PM
Restricted User

I have not had an opportunity to redyno the car. I am self employed and when I have alot of work available, I have to do it. The trade off is that I get alot of down time just not right now.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Restricted User

A buddy of mine let me borrow his wideband. I had some problems getting my AFR leaned out for a bit and started another thread to get some help.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/498799-i-can-t-seem-lean-her-out.html

As usual, several people in the know stepped up and gave me some pointers which allowed me to get it worked out. My AFR is right at about 12.8:1 or so. I am now ready to strap up and put down some aggressive numbers. I hope to get that done very shortly but I feel very confident about it.