PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Gas Smell... do I need to re-tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gas Smell... do I need to re-tune?

When I bought my LS1 the previous owner had it tuned to run rich because he had planed on adding nitrous. You can smell it when it is idling (gas smell). Is this fine, or do I need to get it re-tuned?

Mods are Comp Cam 224/227-.560 i believe, Hooker longtubes, Corsa cat-back, Ported Trottle body, SLP lid.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its worth checking the tune to see how its setup in any case. Open loop or closed, maf or mafless etc. You can also verify idle, wot and timing etc.
So in summary yes, check the tune, it might be fine, but you wont know unless its checked.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A cammed car with no cats is going to smell like fuel at idle. Nothing you can really do about it. A tuner will only tune WOT rich for nitrous, not idle and part throttle.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
A cammed car with no cats is going to smell like fuel at idle. Nothing you can really do about it. A tuner will only tune WOT rich for nitrous, not idle and part throttle.

I have seen some rigged tunes before so its worth checking into. I looked at a "nitrous" tune recently and all that was done was about a 10% change to the IFR table