Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners std or pro ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 02:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP Tuners std or pro ?

I've pretty much decided to purchase HP Tuners for my '98. I don't plan on heavy duty mods no blower or even NOS. I want to turn off codes for !egr !AIR CAGS 160 thermostat rear O2 sensor delete and other run of the mill stuff this will be a bolt on car LT headers intake etc. So I need a little more than handhelds offer. As I'm on a tight budget will the std version do everything I need or is there a reason I should have to spend the extra $150 for the pro version? Once I've purchased either version there should be no other outlay correct.....I don't need to purchase anymore points or anything like that do I?
Thanks
Old 05-02-2006, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

The standard version will do what you need it to, and no you don't need to purchase any more credits.

The only additional outlay would be if you decided to get a wideband to do further tuning, but it doesn't sound like you're looking into that anyway.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you decided to get a wideband, you will need to use the pro version. It is imperative IMO that you get a wideband as it is an essential tool for tuning the vehicle.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:12 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always suggest getting the pro version from the beginning...if you purchase the standard version off the bat & then realize a month down the line you probably shouldve gotten the better model its going to cost you nearly double to upgrade at a later date then it would've been to just do it right off the bat. As Chad mentioned once you actually start tuning yourself its a good idea to have a wideband integrated into the scanner...you can follow the directions mr. dude posted or buy the pro & its as simple as screwing down 2 terminals. Not to mention availability of black box logging as been scheduled in one of the upcoming releases.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

I was one of those people who thought the standard version would be all I would ever need. I purchased the cable last September and by January I realized that I would never be completely happy with the tune w/o getting a wideband! I upgraded to the MPVI pro and bought an LC-1 wb. I couldn't be happier with the setup I have now! You also should know that full throttle tuning should only be done with a wb (otherwise you're just guessing).

I also currently have only limited bolt-ons.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Are the laptop requirements the same for the std and the pro.
Will tuning get me back any extra power with a basically stock motor?
Looks like a great product just trying to justify the expense.My main purpose for this is so I can pass our local Air Care test.I have removed my egr air and have to get rid of the codes. I was all set to purchase Tunercat seemed to do everything I need went to their order page only to be told they no longer sell it and that I have to buy it through JetChips at a higher price and that it is now locked. So with their price increase it puts them squarely against HPTuner which I think dollar for dollar is a better system.Thanks so much for your opinions and advice I'm trying to soak up as much info as I can because I have to have the car tested by the end of the month
Old 05-03-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ls1_bc
Looks like a great product just trying to justify the expense.My main purpose for this is so I can pass our local Air Care test.I have removed my egr air and have to get rid of the codes. I was all set to purchase Tunercat seemed to do everything I need went to their order page only to be told they no longer sell it and that I have to buy it through JetChips at a higher price and that it is now locked. So with their price increase it puts them squarely against HPTuner which I think dollar for dollar is a better system.Thanks so much for your opinions and advice I'm trying to soak up as much info as I can because I have to have the car tested by the end of the month
youre not gonna get it by the end of the month... hpt is a bit backed up at the moment.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
youre not gonna get it by the end of the month... hpt is a bit backed up at the moment.
from what i understand all new orders ship within a few days.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

Mine was a cable upgrade (sent my serial in for usb). But I did send it in during their busiest time which was about a month after the usb cable became available. I live in Hawaii and I had my new cable in exactly 11 days.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1_bc
I'll be in Delta by mid June on vacation. I have the tunershop enhanced
HP Tuners and a wideband. If you could wait till then I would either just turn
off your egr code, or do a full tune.
Yes, there is power to be gained on a stock internal engine. The stock afr
could be as rich as 10.8, or as lean as 14.0 @ wot. Plus I can turn off the cags, set the fans etc.

Russ Kemp
Old 05-05-2006, 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by foff667
from what i understand all new orders ship within a few days.
Horseshit! I've order mine on 4/20. Was suppose to ship this Monday. No information, no emails, etc. I emailed them back two days ago. No response yet. Hey, I'm a very patience person, but they should make that clear when ordering that there are delays. Customer service goes along way.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:00 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5389

if you have any specific questions about your order email sales at hptuners dot com
Old 05-05-2006, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5389

if you have any specific questions about your order email sales at hptuners dot com
Well that would explain things! Here's Keith quotes from HPtuners:
<hr>
Here's an update.. and I'm sure its not what some of you want to here.

Still, MPVI Std's are going out on schedule, typically a few days after you place the order.

MPVI Pro's should resume shipping on Thursday. Our manufacturer simply did not meet their projected ship date to us and thus our ship date of early this week to you has been pushed back.

You guys will know when your interfaces ship as I will be e-mailing you with VCM Suite installation instructions and an application key. When you receive that e-mail you will know that your interface is indeed in transit.

Once again, we are very sorry for the delays. I know some of you have been waiting a very long time, too long. We are doing everything we can to make sure each and every interface we have ready to ship makes it out the door to you guys.

Thanks for your patience.

- Keith, HP Tuners
Old 05-05-2006, 09:23 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

yeah they are supposed to be shipping out all mpvi orders today actually.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after you start tuning with a wideband, you never want to go back.

if you can swing it, get the EIO. it makes wiring the wideband easier. plus its how 90% of the guys on here do it, so you can get help from them.

if you're on a really tight budget and cant swing it, thats cool.. it sounds like you dont want to buy a wideband yet anyway... i went for about a year without one. dont expect to do accurate WOT tuning.. and do expect it to take longer to dial down cruise and idle perfectly... however, if its just you screwing with your own car, it can be fun anyway.

if it was me, knowing what i know now, id get the enhanced version... but you can do ALOT with the standard one.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
after you start tuning with a wideband, you never want to go back.

if you can swing it, get the EIO. it makes wiring the wideband easier. plus its how 90% of the guys on here do it, so you can get help from them.

if you're on a really tight budget and cant swing it, thats cool.. it sounds like you dont want to buy a wideband yet anyway... i went for about a year without one. dont expect to do accurate WOT tuning.. and do expect it to take longer to dial down cruise and idle perfectly... however, if its just you screwing with your own car, it can be fun anyway.

if it was me, knowing what i know now, id get the enhanced version... but you can do ALOT with the standard one.
What does EIO mean?

EDIT: NEVER MIND, I got it.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:22 AM
10 Second Club

Cant you get the STD VCM suite and use the AC pressure input for the WB like in this thread? https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/496625-how-log-your-wideband-hptuners-without-eio.html

What else does the Pro version have that's really useful other than the EIO?
Old 05-05-2006, 10:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

it has programmable outputs, several inputs compared to the ONE that your referring to & in a few weeks .12 will be released which will give you the ability to datalog hours of info without the need for a laptop.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Russ K
I'll be in Delta by mid June on vacation. I have the tunershop enhanced
HP Tuners and a wideband. If you could wait till then I would either just turn
off your egr code, or do a full tune.
Yes, there is power to be gained on a stock internal engine. The stock afr
could be as rich as 10.8, or as lean as 14.0 @ wot. Plus I can turn off the cags, set the fans etc.

Russ Kemp
Thanks for the offer Russ. I would take you up on it but the very latest to get it done is June 4th that's when my insurance runs out and they won't re insure it without an AirCare certificate I work in Delta so would have been perfect.I should have purchased one of these products a longtime ago and should have not left it 'till the last minute. I just got an email back from HPTuners say both products should ship within the next couple of days.
Again thanks for your kind offer, enjoy your trip to BC.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:43 AM
10 Second Club

it has programmable outputs, several inputs compared to the ONE that your referring to & in a few weeks .12 will be released which will give you the ability to datalog hours of info without the need for a laptop.
And the V.12's data logging capabilities is only available in the Pro version?
Also what can the inputs be used for other than a WB?