PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Wideband tuning

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006 | 09:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wideband tuning

Is there a step by step guide for tuning with a wideband with hptuners?
Old 05-09-2006 | 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

From: http://www.transamws6.net/HPTuners/ls1tuninginfo.doc

Step by Step for SD tuning Wideband Method:
1: Unplug MAF sensor
2: Disable the SES lights for MAF codes P0101, P0102, P0103 (No check engine light.) Do not completely disable the codes or the PCM will not fall into SD mode. Only turn off the SES light, DO NOT DISABLE THE CODES THEMSELVES!
3: Change all points to 1.13 in the Open Loop F/A vs ECT vs MAP table (commands AFR of 13.0)
4: Change all points in the Closed Loop Enable Coolant Temp vs IAT table to 250* (Disables closed loop)
5: Copy High Octane table to the Low Octane Table (computer reverts to low octane table when MAF is unplugged, this assure’s optimal timing)
6: Change all points in the Power Enrich Fuel Multiplier vs RPM table to 1.0 (disables PE mode)
7: Use your wideband and HPT histogram to verify AFR of 13.0
8: Make adjustments to the VE table accordingly to dial in a 13.0 AFR using the desired formula - current afr/13.0 = VE multiplier
example: cell @ 1600 rpm Map 50 is showing the air/fuel to be at 11.7 in the histogram. 11.7/13.0=0.9 Lets say that your VE table has a value of 48 listed at 1600 rpm, Map 50. Using the above formula you would multiply that value times (.9). 48*.9=43.2. 43.2 would be your new VE value. Continue using this formula until all data has been plotted.
9: Hand smooth VE as described by Magnus (a smooth VE results in crisper throttle response), upload new .bin and repeat steps 7 and 8 until all cells in the histogram are 12.8 - 13.2.
10: Change all points in Open Loop F/A vs ECT vs MAP table back to stock (re-enable stoich commanded AFR)
11: Change all points in the Closed Loop Enable Coolant Temp vs IAT table back to stock (re-enables closed loop operation and fuel trim leaning)
12: Change all points in the Power Enrich Fuel Multiplier vs. RPM table back to stock (re-enables PE mode)
13: Use wideband and PE table to dial in desired WOT AFR. (Optimum HP at WOT)
Anyone care to add anything? This was written way before HPT 2.x so there may or may not be changes/additions.
Old 05-09-2006 | 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I set OLFA to 1.00 for my normal operating coolant temps.
Leave PE to where I want it to be.
Disable LTFTs.
Disable COT and DFCO.
Log AFR % error histogram, copy and paste into VE table (secondary if you have it).
When I start to get smaller % error in the histo, I use the copy, paste, multiply by %-1/2.
Re-enable MAF (open loop still) and tune MAF table using MAF AFR % error histogram.
When you are done, just re-enable closed loop (if you want to run it), re-enable fuel trims, reset the OLFA table to stock, re-enable COT (if you have cats and rear O2s), re-enable DFCO, and revert back to stock low octane timing table.

I think that's everything...
Old 05-09-2006 | 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

Didn't see this earlier, thanks to foff667 for putting these together!
http://www.hptuners.com/help/index.h...to_user_sd.htm
And you can see the rest of the help files here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/503989-hptuners-tuning-links.html
Old 05-27-2006 | 05:43 PM
Teching In

bshell,
After following your procedure will WOT/PE tuning be completed or is there a seperate procedure for WOT tuning?
Thanks

Originally Posted by bshell
I set OLFA to 1.00 for my normal operating coolant temps.
Leave PE to where I want it to be.
Disable LTFTs.
Disable COT and DFCO.
Log AFR % error histogram, copy and paste into VE table (secondary if you have it).
When I start to get smaller % error in the histo, I use the copy, paste, multiply by %-1/2.
Re-enable MAF (open loop still) and tune MAF table using MAF AFR % error histogram.
When you are done, just re-enable closed loop (if you want to run it), re-enable fuel trims, reset the OLFA table to stock, re-enable COT (if you have cats and rear O2s), re-enable DFCO, and revert back to stock low octane timing table.

I think that's everything...
Old 05-28-2006 | 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

As long as you are using the wideband method for tuning you can tune part throttle and wot at the same time. The beauty of the AFR% error histograms is that it doesn't matter what your commanded air-fuel is.