PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carolina Auto Masters Dyno Tune... what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carolina Auto Masters Dyno Tune... what to expect?

I am thinking about getting my car dyno tuned by Jeff Creech @ CAM in Durham, NC. I have read alot and heard alot of good about this guy. I have emailed him in regards to setting up an appt. I am curious of what kind of power gains have people gained from his tuning. My mods are listed in my sig, just basic bolt ons and some baseline dyno #'s to go along with them. I am unsure of what tuning software he uses. I am most likely going to get it tuned there because I cant pass up the deal they have to get tuned there, it is fairly close to where I am located and, I hear that he is one of the LS1 tuning Gods. Tell me what you have got from tuning.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-01-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

he is great at what he does. my boy got his 383 tuned there and it made a world of difference. i have had other friends get tuned there and said hes great. i am going to get my car tuned there once my cam comes in, still waiting!
Old 06-01-2006, 04:50 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, I have yet to hear anything bad about him. They guys at CAM did up a maroon (I think) Trans Am for PINKS. I have also read a few F Body Articles with him being mentioned. I am definatly going there for the tune.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cabech984
I am thinking about getting my car dyno tuned by Jeff Creech @ CAM in Durham, NC. I have read alot and heard alot of good about this guy. I have emailed him in regards to setting up an appt. I am curious of what kind of power gains have people gained from his tuning. My mods are listed in my sig, just basic bolt ons and some baseline dyno #'s to go along with them. I am unsure of what tuning software he uses. I am most likely going to get it tuned there because I cant pass up the deal they have to get tuned there, it is fairly close to where I am located and, I hear that he is one of the LS1 tuning Gods. Tell me what you have got from tuning.
I have an '06 mn6 Vette that Jeff has tuned as well as installed a number of mods. He is very good at what he does. You will really like him and can trust him completely. There is a little issue with the '06 pcm and he has bent over backwards to help me out. The Pinks car he built is a monster to say the least so you should check that out when you can.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:27 AM
12 Second Club

Jeff Creech = the man
Old 06-03-2006, 12:31 AM
10 Second Club

Do some more searching. It's not all good info.

Jeff Creech=POS
Old 06-03-2006, 06:34 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jay_99z
Do some more searching. It's not all good info.

Jeff Creech=POS
There will always be someone not happy. But Jeff does a great job at what he does. I've made the 300 mile trip just to have him tune my car

So 99+% of his customers are happy, makes it a good deal to me!
Old 06-03-2006, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Those of us who tune things ourselves prefer to do so as we can personalise the tune. A tuning shop will usually bung in a preffered baseline, tweak and off you go. Its all about max $ for min time. That being said, Ive seen plenty of worse people you could go to.
Id vote #1 learn to tune it yourself. #2 up to you.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:19 AM
10 Second Club

Here's a look into a tune from C.A.M.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/424054-professional-tune.html
Old 06-03-2006, 02:25 PM
Launching!

i think he sucks sent a customers car there with the owner and got it back to my shop it still was idling up and down called him back he said it had an intake vaccum leak searched up and down didnt find any leaks well then called a guy from charleston he come to me retuned it cranks right up now idles fine runs fine havent even let him dyno tune it yet and its better than jeff ever had it healso come to me for 325.00 and my customer took his car 4 hrs. up the road and spent 500.00 for nothing i think the car is a 99 camaro slp 402 turbo 400 was 6 speed my man in charleston showed me where jeff had o2 senors map and maf sensors turned off so how is it going to run like that i guess gm just put them on their for something to do. i will never waste my time oe money going their but i heard he can give u any kind of outragous dyno numbers u want but where im from we dont have dyno queens we race so thats my 2 cent worth about cam
Old 06-03-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

check out <non sponsor URL> A lot of local Raleigh area guys there and ask about him there. I think you will get mixed responses

Last edited by horist; 06-07-2006 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well.. everyone from my general area with a tune from him has had problems...

people on my local statewide board who used to swing from his nuts have slowly come down to reality.... they still dont "bash" him online, but they arnt too happy with him anymore.

i realize he cant do an ideal street tune because hes only on a dyno, but he still has alot of work to do.. ive seen not one, not two, but SEVERAL of his tunes, and frankly, they look like ****.
when someone who knows as little as me can make the car DRIVE better and idle better, then somethings wrong....

do a search for creech BEFORE they reset the messageboard search function... theres alot of.. umm.. "drama filled" threads out there.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I laugh my azz off every time I hear of someone paying $500+ for two-three hours of just dynoing-tuning, which is usually nothing more than IFRs and PE... no street or drivability tuning...

Jeff tuned my ATI SC 2001 C5. His answer for KR was to turn KR off between 4000 and 5500 rpms. A few weeks later I bought HPTuner and started digging into the PCM that is when I noticed he had turned the KR down... the bulk of the tune was IFR and PE changes, imagine that

go ahead throw your money away...
Old 06-06-2006, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

thanks for all those that told the truth. the percentage that are happy with their tune are more than likely the ones that don't know anything about what a car is supposed to be like after a tune.

I sent you a PM telling you some GOOD tuners, that if they don't do it right i don't know who would. Nick Williams is a great guy, he is a great friend and I have called him before, me not knowing anything about tuning at the time and he has helped me. Alvin, at PCMforless; he has helped me figure out some of the insufficient switching problems that I have had on my car, he is also a great guy. I'm sure there are others.

But please don't go to CAM, many of many people have left the Carolina Rides forum and Horsepowerjunkies due to CAM.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

creech tuned mine and I'm happy w/ the results, hell, I still am 100% emissions compliant, have mid length headers, cats, and he still got good power out of my car. There are other choices close by.......RPM racing in Garner NC is also an excellent tuner, Ryan(the owner) does good work from what I've heard from his customers.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01MMMZ28
creech tuned mine and I'm happy w/ the results, hell, I still am 100% emissions compliant, have mid length headers, cats, and he still got good power out of my car. There are other choices close by.......RPM racing in Garner NC is also an excellent tuner, Ryan(the owner) does good work from what I've heard from his customers.
Me and 01mmmz28 are in a group of f-bods in Eastern NC. Probably 15-20 guys from our group and surrounding areas have went to Creech and I don't think we've had one dissappointed member yet. It just depends on who you ask I guess and how much you think you should be putting out.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
But please don't go to CAM, many of many people have left the Carolina Rides forum and Horsepowerjunkies due to CAM.
while not entirlely his fault, he was also a catlyist in the death of SCFYB..

cabech984:

when you read this, i think you'll notice a trend.
thoes that like his work like the end result right after the work is done. but the issues arise after that. or when something changes.
the problem is this:

the methods he uses to tune the car, make the fueling and timing work great, for that day.

the computer works like a big math equation.. with a tune, you litterally are building a mathmatical model of the engine... now theres multiple ways to get the correct end result... until another variable changes.. one example of what he does is change the multiplier for commanded fuel.. lets say you want 12.5 AFR on the wideband.. but you're seeing 14.5.. well, theres two things to do... tell the computer you want 12.5, then change the amount of air you tell it its getting so it matches 12.5.... or tell it you want 10.0 and that will compensate enough to match it to 12.5 on the wideband
as you can see, the end result is the same... they both get 12.5 on the dyno.

but the computer isnt quite as simple as that... so there are other unintended concequnces... you cant change a multiplier as a accurate correction when the underlying base number is the problem.

anyone looking for results immediatly after the tune will never see a problem with a jeff creech tune.. (unless it blows up.. lol) but its after some time has passed that people keep going back and back.... to fix it.

Last edited by MrDude_1; 06-06-2006 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MrDude_1

the computer works like a big math equation.. with a tune, you litterally are building a mathmatical model of the engine... now theres multiple ways to get the correct end result... until another variable changes.. one example of what he does is change the multiplier for commanded fuel.. lets say you want 12.5 AFR on the wideband.. but you're seeing 14.5.. well, theres two things to do... tell the computer you want 12.5, then change the amount of air you tell it its getting so it matches 12.5.... or tell it you want 10.0 and that will compensate enough to match it to 12.5 on the wideband
as you can see, the end result is the same... they both get 12.5 on the dyno.
Like you said in your later post of why this is bad, once other things change in the tune.

For others reading this thread who are asking themselves questions about somebodys tuning. In general If your wideband is reading something other than your commanded air fuel ratio your not tuning the vehicle correctly. 3 years ago commanding a 12.0 to get a 12.6 was common by shops with ls1edit, this was the practice to rape the PE table, or IFR table, both with bad overall results, but a smooth line on the dyno printout.

With time, people have learned that this is ghetto tuning, and anybody who tunes like this has a complete lack of the fundementals of the control system they are "TOONING" and are not a tuner. First command what you want in the PE table, and then adjust the airflow values to get what your commanding.

I would not pay anybody to "toon" my car, when this is their level of understanding of the control system.

Just my $0.02

Ryan

Last edited by slow; 06-06-2006 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Unhappy

Guys you have really got me thinking!!

I have an appointment Thursday to get my H/C Z16 tuned, and reading all of this has really got me second guessing about going!!

Who would you recommend going to if not to CAM??

I am in SW Va, about 1.5 hours from Knoxville and about 45 minutes from Bristol.

Thanks!!!

Chris Rowe
trborowe@adelphia.net

Quick Reply: Carolina Auto Masters Dyno Tune... what to expect?