Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing on bigger cams

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I'll take a look (not that I have any clue as to what to look for). Where did you find it?

I had this thought this morning when I woke up.
I was thinking that perhaps the reason that I can't seem to get it dialed in perfect is that I am only getting the WB02 readings from one bank. I have true duals that are not crossed over in anyway. 2 independent exhaust pipes. Is it possible that bank 2 (passenger side) is leaner or richer than bank 1 and therefore I am not tunning an average of the 2 sides?
Its possible, but unlikely to be the cause. I have my WB right in the X pipe and i still have the same symptoms.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:27 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Its possible, but unlikely to be the cause. I have my WB right in the X pipe and i still have the same symptoms.
Man, you are just doom and gloom aren't you?

Seriously though, I am feeling pretty frustrated about this and the fact that I just can't drop everything and dick around with this until I solve the problem. It is definetly a problem and I cannot accept that it is just the way that it is.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Man, you are just doom and gloom aren't you?
Yeah... I dress in all black with fishnet arm stockings, and wear my hair over my eyeliner blackened eyes. On the weekends i like cut myself while listening to radiohead then whining about my life over a triple cafe latte frappuccino in the back of starbucks.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok Tickle-Me-Emo.

Although, he does have a point. Your lack of a cross over pipe isn't likely to be the cause of your issues.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Restricted User

Yeah... I dress in all black with fishnet arm stockings, and wear my hair over my eyeliner blackened eyes. On the weekends i like cut myself while listening to radiohead then whining about my life over a triple cafe latte frappuccino in the back of starbucks.

LOL. Well, my car does enough cutting on me to fullfill this need and I am more of a Dunkin' Donuts Coolata kind of guy. I can hear the tune in my head "it's 100* out yet I must work on the car hmm hmmmmm hmm".

Anyways, there has to be a PID to scan some values and figure out why the f*ck this is happening to us and not everyone else. The other thing that I can't figure out is why I can't get my 100 KPA cells in my VE perfect so that I am seeing the commanded AFR at WOT on all of the cells. It seems that the 3200-4800 cells wont stay consistant. This points me towards a fueling problem also. I am always at -4 to -8 in this area. If it was -4 to 0, I would consider calling it a day but it isn't.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am always at -4 to -8 in this area. If it was -4 to 0, I would consider calling it a day but it isn't.
I say call it quits and re-enable the MAF. As long as the MAF doesn't fail, this should never be an issue. If the MAF does fail, you're on the right side of the line (rich vs. lean). Don't sweat the small stuff...
Old 08-11-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, MAF definately helps out. MAF + high timing + little bit rich = less bucking.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:57 PM
Restricted User

MAF? Nooooooooooo. I don't want to have to buy a bigger MAF. I certainly am not going to put the 78mm stock MAF in front of my 90mm TB.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

MAF? Nooooooooooo. I don't want to have to buy a bigger MAF. I certainly am not going to put the 78mm stock MAF in front of my 90mm TB.
Descreen the MAF, Hog it out, remove the airfoil, then retune for it. Ive got mind severely ported out and its far less of a restriction than the stocker was.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Restricted User

Has that inj offset helped you out at all or are you still in the same boat. I am not even considering bolting the MAF on right now.

Also, when you say that you have less surging, do you mean that it is an almost inperceptable amount? Like driving with tires that aren't well balanced or worse?
Old 08-11-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Has that inj offset helped you out at all or are you still in the same boat.
Ask me next month.
I have no idea if its worth while yet as im only about 3 VE revisions into it now. Still a far way off from a polished VE table.
Also, im not sure how to quantify the ammount of bucking. All I know is its a lot less than my buddy with teh same cam.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:29 PM
7 Second Club

Received 310 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
The remainder of what you're trying to fix might just be the natural characteristics of the cam. Those stories of the perfect, big cam'd tune is starting to sound like a myth to me.
Perfect is a very strong word IMO and it's my opinion that big cams will never drive perfect. You can throw or remove all the timing and fuel at it in the world and some will just have a natural tendency to surge down low. You just have to minimize it as much as possible.

Last edited by NicD; 08-11-2006 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Restricted User

I need to minimize it alot more than it is now. It feels like I very annoying vibration. Ofcourse, It is right in the spot that I like to cruise in my RPM band and where I get the least amount of exhaust noise.

Quick Reply: Timing on bigger cams