Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SES suprise

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SES suprise

Today I parked my car on a pretty good slope with the rear of the car uphill. When I got back in it my "check gauges" light was on because I had about 1/8 tank left of gas, but with the car at rest on the hill it was below E when I started it back up. I didn't have a choice of how to park, this stupid parking lot is what it is. But, I made a short trip to where I was going and my SES light comes on out of nowhere. It's never come on before in the short time i've had the car. The car doesn't have any sort of exhaust modifications at all. It's basically all stock. I put a lid on it about a month ago, and the AIR pipe fitting that went into the stock filter box has a K&N type filter capping the hose. I'm thinking it was because the car was started with next to no gas going to the pump and it maybe got some air in there? I filled it shortly afterwards and it's over a half tank now. Any thoughts? Something I should be super worried about, or just let it run a few cycles with gas in the car and it should go out? Thanks

Jon

Changed my oil yesterday too, I doubt that would make a difference.

Last edited by Jon B.; 06-05-2006 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

You must live near an Autozone type place. Go have them read the code and tell you what it is....or find a friend with a Predator, HPTuners, EFILive, etc. and they can read it for you. Basically, as long as it's not a flashing SES light, you don't have to be "super worried" about it. Atleast, not until you know why it's there.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could've thrown a code for running lean. Give it a few cycles and see if it goes off by itself, or have it read/turned off by AZ and see if it comes back. My driveway is uphill pulling in and my gas gauge always reads higher when first starting? And gotta say this...be kind to your fuel pump and don't let the gauge fall below 1/4.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Launching!

There is an AZ not too far away, i'll try going there tomorrow or something. I just had my wisdom teeth out today so I don't feel like doing much about it right now. I had stupid formations all morning every hour so I didn't have time to get gas when I would usually do it. I'm gonna give it another day or so of running around before I get it scanned at Vatozone I think. Thanks for the thoughts

Jon
Old 06-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Just got back from AZ, and I got the good news. P0420-Catalyst System Low Efficiency Bank 1. Awesome! But seriously, I really don't want to replace a cat. Those damn things are expensive, and i'm sure a stock one is insanely priced. Could it possibly be anything other than having to replace a cat? Like an O2 sensor, I figured that would be another code. I'm relatively new to reading these codes and I looked on the GearChatter site to figure out the code. Hmm, if I need to get a new cat, looks like I might as well upgrade. Maybe if I think about it really hard the light will just go away.

Jon
Old 06-05-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hmmm...never imagined it would be P0420. If they cleared it see if it comes back. If it does you can swap the rear 02's side to side and see if the code moves to verify if it's the cat or 02. Cats are covered under the federal emissions warranty for 8ys/80K.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Launching!

They didn't clear it for me. I also didn't ask because i'm still hoping that it'll go away. Also the lady doing it decided to light up her cigarette right outside my car so I didn't want her polluting my car with her crap anymore. Would those cat's be covered even if i'm not the original owner? So I could take it to the dealer if it was the actual problem and have them swap em out? That would be cool. If it doesn't go away though, i'll have them clear it and swap the o2's from side to side. Would it be strange that my car feels fine if the cat was bad? I figured that it would start driving like crap?

Jon
Old 06-05-2006, 05:37 PM
Launching!

How many o2's does this car have? FOUR? How would I figure out which one is bad? I know it says bank one, that is the passenger side correct? Or am I thinking Ford cylinder numbers? Would it most likely be the 02 after the cat or before it in this case? Again IF this is the problem.

Jon
Old 06-05-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, cats are covered even if you're not the original owner, dealer will replace it free - probably give you the "could be the 02 sensor, damaged cat, etc." routine over the phone (leave the code stored). Post cat 02 codes won't affect performance, unless it's clogged, coming apart or something. You can clear the code yourself by resetting the PCM, idle will be grumpy until it relearns:

Turn key on, don't start car
Pull PCM BATT and PCM IGN fuses in engine compartment
Wait 5-10 min
Turn ignition off
Replace fuses
Old 06-05-2006, 05:41 PM
Launching!

to clear your codes just pull the pcm bat and pcm ign fuses under the hood, give it like 10 minutes then replace them.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, has four. Bank 1 is the drivers side, and P0420 is the rear one.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Launching!

You guys rock, thanks again fellas. I'll clear that if it doesn't go away by itself tomorrow or the next day. I'm done doing anything today, my mouth hurts.

Jon
Old 06-06-2006, 04:34 PM
12 Second Club

the cats should be coverd for 8 years or 80k miles, if you are out of the warrenty buy an 02 sim if you are annoyed by the SES light