PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'98 Tuning. How many.....

Old 07-01-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '98 Tuning. How many.....

How many people have had trouble getting there N/A tuning done right on a '98 LS1 Camaro, Formula or TA bird??? I've tried dyno tuning at Futral twice with whatever software Allan uses and HP Tuners by a guy in B'Ham Alabama and still can't get it to run right. Im still only running mid-high 12s trapping about 110mph and sometimes barely over 108mph running on 275/40 M/T DRs which are cutting 1.80 60s which aren't great but not bad either. Shouldn't I at least be running 12.40s@116mph or better w/ the kinda power I'm making w/ my verter, 3.73s and suspension work i've done. I haven't been able to get this thing to run right since the cam install at Futral back in APR '04. It ran high 13.30s-.40s@106+mph(nearly 107mph) when it was just a bolt-on car w/ a stock verter and 2.73 gears. Any1 else having these kinda troubles?
Old 07-01-2006, 01:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm. I went 11.82 in hot weather with identical rwhp and tq with my old h/c setup with a TCI 3800 and MT ET DR's. But my 60-ft's were at 1.57. I could run 12.4's @ 109 mph all day with a Yank Y3200 and Nittos, so something is definitely waaay wrong. Are you getting any false knock? I had to desensitize my knock sensors because the car always had at least 3.8-4.0 degrees of false knock. It seems this is a commom problem for 98 LS1's. I would check there first.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've never had trouble getting 98's to put the power down but i've seen the biggest varience with stock 98's. I've tuned some stock 98's that easily out run others with bolt-on's. some 98's pickup a lot of flase knock, there's a PN # update for early model 98's with crappy knock sensors. I'd scan to see if thats a problem.

The vig3200 is a tad small for that cam but thats not the route of the problem.

I'll be in auburn AL during the fall if your still having trouble.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my tune would alwayd jum around from month to month and would have to get it re-tuned. recently i had it switched over to speed density and it runs MUCH smoother. It seemed that with the MAF tune it was always walking around though
Old 07-01-2006, 06:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Ever think just "maybe" that cam isn't working out for you? I am a huge fan of Futral cams, so don't get me wrong. I just haven't seen many F14's produce great track times like the F13 does. I am sure there is, I just haven't seen any in person.

How is the weather at the track on the runs? If it is 100* out then I can see the times.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:18 AM

I use EFILive and have had no problems with my 98.
PM me the next time you are in Montgomery and I will do what I can to help you out.

John
Old 07-01-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JNorris
I use EFILive and have had no problems with my 98.
PM me the next time you are in Montgomery and I will do what I can to help you out.

John
I Will for sure John. thanks!!! Its just my back's still giving me some problems but i'll be up to MMP again soon
Originally Posted by Black02SS
Ever think just "maybe" that cam isn't working out for you? I am a huge fan of Futral cams, so don't get me wrong. I just haven't seen many F14's produce great track times like the F13 does. I am sure there is, I just haven't seen any in person.

How is the weather at the track on the runs? If it is 100* out then I can see the times.
I had thought about it but why would it not be working well for mine but working great on others '98s? I know of 2 other '98s w/ F14s, bolt-ons and stock heads.. The '98 Z28 A4 makes 395rwhp locked thru a 7.625in 10-bolt w/ a mac girdle and 3.42 gears and the 6sp '98 Z28 puts down 411rwhp thru an SLP 12-bolt w/ 3.73s and they run hella better than i do, usually low 12s@119mph in the 6sp on 275/40 17 MT DRs(like mine) and the A4 guy runs 11.60s@117mph on convo pros 15x4s front and 15x10s w/ 275/50 BFG DRs out back. You think its to big??? Would you reccommend dropping down to an F11 like i had in my 99Z??
As far as weather, its usually in the upper 70s w/ a bit of humidity when i run it.

Last edited by Wicked_Hugger99; 07-01-2006 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Wicked_Hugger99
I had thought about it but why would it not be working well for mine but working great on others '98s? I know of 2 other '98s w/ F14s, bolt-ons and stock heads.. The '98 Z28 A4 makes 395rwhp locked thru a 7.625in 10-bolt w/ a mac girdle and 3.42 gears and the 6sp '98 Z28 puts down 411rwhp thru an SLP 12-bolt w/ 3.73s and they run hella better than i do, usually low 12s@119mph in the 6sp on 275/40 17 MT DRs(like mine) and the A4 guy runs 11.60s@117mph on convo pros 15x4s front and 15x10s w/ 275/50 BFG DRs out back. You think its to big??? Would you reccommend dropping down to an F11 like i had in my 99Z??
As far as weather, its usually in the upper 70s w/ a bit of humidity when i run it.
Not necessarly. I would be inclined to know the weight of the A4 as well as the other mods. Is it similar to yours? Were the times ran the same night as yours? Who tuned their cars? There are a lot of variables. I was in a similar situtation until I realized that not ever car will run the same and 60' could mean a 1/2 sec difference. What converter is the other A4 runing?
Old 07-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

I am having trouble trying to get my car tuned.
I dont really know of any one that can do it around north alabama.
It is getting kind of frustrating though.
With just a lid my 98 a4 ws-6 went
1.969 60ft
8.642 1/8th@ 82.93

Now i have pacesetter long tubes, offroad y, tci 3200 stall, 15x3.5 draglites with 15x8 on back with et street radials 275 50s.
1.891 60ft
8.608 1/8th@ 84.25

I know i need a tune bad, but i was still expecting to pick up more than that...
and this was on the same track with almost iddentical weather
Old 07-02-2006, 06:40 AM
TECH Addict

Not necessarly. I would be inclined to know the weight of the A4 as well as the other mods. Is it similar to yours? Were the times ran the same night as yours? Who tuned their cars? There are a lot of variables. I was in a similar situtation until I realized that not ever car will run the same and 60' could mean a 1/2 sec difference. What converter is the other A4 runing?
i know there's tons of variables to factory in but damn im getting smoked by mild bolt-on LS1s. Dunno the weight but he has all the usually bolt-ons LTs w/ 3in x-pipe with bullets into TDs, ud pulley, ported TB, LS6 intake, free mods and a built 4L60-E w/ TCI 3600-3800 stall i think as well as a 10-bolt w/ 3.42s. The M6 guy has all the same bolt-ons except he runs a 3in ORY off his LTs into a borla i think & he's got a 3.73 geared 12-bolt but he hasnt done any free mods yet. Im sure im a lil heavier than the A4 guy. I saw the M6 guy run when i was there last time(bout 76-78degrees w/ minimal humdity) Dunno the DA at MMP though but i havent seen the A4 guy run in person but im sure he's done some weight reductions. The M6 guy was tuned by FMS i think but, I dunno who tuned the A4 car. Mighta been "Gomer" or he may have bought the '98 tuning software, rented a dyno and tuned it himself but i dunno
Old 07-02-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

I know a guy here in town that has HPTuners for his '98 6sp Formula. Would that work w/ my TA to get rid of that damn SES code even though its an automatic???
Old 07-02-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Junkie

I know a guy here in town that has HPTuners for his '98 6sp Formula. Would that work w/ my TA to get rid of that damn SES code even though its an automatic???
Why do you have a SES light? Yes he can take care of it for your if he has 98's unlocked (which I bet he does). Or if you know of someone with EFILive they can do it as well.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Why do you have a SES light? Yes he can take care of it for your if he has 98's unlocked (which I bet he does). Or if you know of someone with EFILive they can do it as well.
It ran great after Gomer dyno tuned it last time w/ HPTuners bout 6 weeks ago. We even took it out on the street and did some part throttle & WOT runs and all was well except for just a tad bit of KR on initial throttle tip in.
About 5 or 6 days later my SES light came on and it ran like crap so i had it scanned w/ a basic OBD-2 scanner at Autozone and it said i had a TPS performance problem and MAF low circuit output so i then cleared the codes thinking maybe it was a false reading but the SES came on again with-in a day so i had it scanned at autozone again but this time I bought & put in a new stock replacement MAF(left screen in) and a new TPS bout a month ago then cleared the code and it ran great but after only a few days it came right back on w/ the same codes about the TPS and now it's just been coming on and off whenever it feels like it for the last month which is one of the reasons i know my cars running like a dog. I've checked both the new MAF & TPS and they're both fine yet the SES light still keeps coming on and off. Any ideas???
I know John Norris(the slow a4 moderator) who's gonna help me w/ his EFILive whenever i can make it up to MMP 1/4 mile track again (its about 90miles from north of me) so i'm gonna see if he can help me if this other guy can't that has the '98 HPTuners. I have HPTuners as well but its for my 99 SS.
BTW, thanks for answering my posts and trying to help
Old 07-04-2006, 01:04 PM
Launching!

Which tps code is it? Is it p0121?
Old 07-04-2006, 01:49 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why would you think your intermittent SES lights, with TPS and low MAF codes is in the tuning? Your tuning won't change, period. The car can. Something is simply wrong with your car. I have found most intermittent low MAF codes to be caused by the connector at the MAF. I had to replace that pigtail on my '98, although it is not at all only the '98s that develop that problem. It is also usually cars that have had the MAF & air box removed often. Also, your TPS may be bad. If the wiper passes over a dead/dirty spot on the resistor inside, TPS voltage drops. That can cause poor throttle response, and TPS codes. You may be able to duplicate the MAF error by wiggling the wire connector on the MAF with the engine idleing. I diagnose the TPS with a digital lab 'scope. Sweep it twenty times (key on, of course), and look for a downward spike in the graph. If twenty sweeps doesn't show a glitch, the sensor it's self is likely OK. Could be a connection issue there also.

Good luck, Ed
Old 07-04-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Why would you think your intermittent SES lights, with TPS and low MAF codes is in the tuning? Your tuning won't change, period. The car can. Something is simply wrong with your car. I have found most intermittent low MAF codes to be caused by the connector at the MAF. I had to replace that pigtail on my '98, although it is not at all only the '98s that develop that problem. It is also usually cars that have had the MAF & air box removed often. Also, your TPS may be bad. If the wiper passes over a dead/dirty spot on the resistor inside, TPS voltage drops. That can cause poor throttle response, and TPS codes. You may be able to duplicate the MAF error by wiggling the wire connector on the MAF with the engine idleing. I diagnose the TPS with a digital lab 'scope. Sweep it twenty times (key on, of course), and look for a downward spike in the graph. If twenty sweeps doesn't show a glitch, the sensor it's self is likely OK. Could be a connection issue there also.

Good luck, Ed
Thanks for the advice Ed. The TPS and MAF are brand new and i have tested the new TPS voltage. It was good but haven't tested the new MAF yet so I'll try those things out as well as the other TPS tests you mentioned. I'm no where near a tuning expert and only thought it was tuning related cuz the SES light kept coming on/off after the tuning but i guess it was just a coincidence.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:56 AM
That's what she said...

My '98 has an F14 with stock heads. Runs 12.0@117.5mph only making 371rwhp on a Mustang dyno.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

I'll have to go with Ed's line of thinking on this...wiring, pushed pin. Which MAF code? Cracked airlid, unmetered air?
Old 07-15-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

the maf code has cleared since i replaced the maf w/ a brand new one. i also replaced the TPS w/ a brand new one yet it still keeps tripping the SES light even though i've done voltage check, connection etc etc on the new TPS to make sure the TPS is ok and it was. Why would the SES light continousily. keep getting set off by the TPS?(Code PO121). I'll have access to EFI LIVE scan tool this friday night but until then im stumped. Any suggestions?? Thanks guys/gals.

Search this Thread