PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

My WOT fueling is different day to day??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006 | 10:24 AM
On The Tree

If you have a richer number in the commanded AFR table than in the PE table does it look at the commanded AFR value when at WOT?
Old 07-12-2006 | 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 6speeder
If you have a richer number in the commanded AFR table than in the PE table does it look at the commanded AFR value when at WOT?
Yes, it should choose whatever is richer.
Old 07-12-2006 | 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

I say - read this for my opinion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/539700-what-disable-wot-tuning.html)...tune your MAF on a nice day...and set up a relatively safe tune that allows for a 3% swing in fueling (the most I've seen in the last year). The road to work (or wherever you're going) is longer than a 1/4 mile. If you want a track car only, that's what the test and tune passes are for before you make the passes that count.
Old 07-12-2006 | 12:00 PM
8 Second Club

consider this as well....
tune your car with PE set to EXACTLY what you want for AFR...
tune the entire car with the wideband in open loop
then go back and adjust o2 switchpoints to match 14.7 AFR on the wideband...
(it takes a while but it can be done)

getting this all close first will make day to day fueling more correct

your biggest killer here is stock narrowbands that are highly inaccurate with any mods..even just a change in the lid changes teh accuracy...

consider trying an open loop tune for a few days as well just to see how bad your narrowband o2's are..

also you shoudl consider changing the complex cylinder charge temp to a different value...
it only function on 2001/2002 OS's and it seems to work better with all values set close to 1.0(which is an even blend of ECT/IAT)

peole dont think about day to day fueling problems being these other tables in the car..but in fact every table plays its part

also your OLFA table and PE table...it uses which ever one is the richer of the 2...
so make sure they are not conflicting with what you are attempting to do for AFR at WOT/Closed loop
Old 07-12-2006 | 11:34 PM
Mat
Launching!

Originally Posted by soundengineer
consider this as well....
tune your car with PE set to EXACTLY what you want for AFR...
tune the entire car with the wideband in open loop
then go back and adjust o2 switchpoints to match 14.7 AFR on the wideband...
(it takes a while but it can be done)

getting this all close first will make day to day fueling more correct

your biggest killer here is stock narrowbands that are highly inaccurate with any mods..even just a change in the lid changes teh accuracy...

consider trying an open loop tune for a few days as well just to see how bad your narrowband o2's are..

also you shoudl consider changing the complex cylinder charge temp to a different value...
it only function on 2001/2002 OS's and it seems to work better with all values set close to 1.0(which is an even blend of ECT/IAT)

peole dont think about day to day fueling problems being these other tables in the car..but in fact every table plays its part

also your OLFA table and PE table...it uses which ever one is the richer of the 2...
so make sure they are not conflicting with what you are attempting to do for AFR at WOT/Closed loop
Solid info!

So the OLFA should match your PE settings is what you're saying. To ensure that you don't end up with the richer of the two.
Old 07-12-2006 | 11:47 PM
8 Second Club

not necesarily match..but you do want it to command exactly whet you want for fueling

I personally set my OLFA all to 1.0 and use all PE to take care of WOT...

sometimes you have to dumb down the OS from what GM has put in there and get back to less variables....kind of like simplifying an algebra equation...

it looks like 3 pages of **** when you start..and sometimes its a lot better if you can just get it down to (x+3)..LOL
Old 07-13-2006 | 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats what i did is set my olfa to 1 and then use PE.I got it figured out and its running where is should be and its stable enough.
Old 08-22-2006 | 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

update...I set my pe table to what i want.It is set to about 13.0 up to 4k rpm then goes down to 12.6 at peak torque and then by 5500 rpm and up its stays at 12.8 to 12.9...After i set my pe table i unplagged my MAF and dialed in my VE table to match my PE table to my Wideband readings..So it would work as i want it too.Then i plugged my mass air back in and fine tuned it to keep it where i wanted it..Now it is pretty consistant and is working the way it should..Thanks horist and soundengineer for the advice..
Old 08-22-2006 | 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I tune for 0 to -4 and use a maf to keep my wot fueling consistant. no need to rigg it with positive fuel trims. If i command 12.5 to 1 I dont want LTFT's randomy effecting my mixture.
Old 08-23-2006 | 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

do not assume you can have consistant effective AFR by just tuning and setting things right. conditions change enough that you will have great variances every time you WOT it. hardware itself has enough inconsistiencies and 'slop' built into it that it won't always inject the perfect amount of fuel. airflow measurements, from which everything else gets proportioned to are inherently hard to do right. you put all these 'variables that should be constants' together, and you'll end up with at least a one AFR point spread on back to back WOT runs.

I just looked over some logs from a reall well built car with flow matched injectors, and on a road course with many repeated WOT runs under same conditions, you usually have 1.0-1.2 AFR scatter, and the average is not necessairly close to the target PE/AFR number. That's why you gotta watch this stuff, and how your car runs, and just give it what it wants, but at the same time remember how much margin of error you need to have.
Old 08-23-2006 | 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

good info,i was curious was the sway was on a perfectly tuned car.I have spent a lot of time tuning my setup and i understand exactly what you mean.I have seen so far a sway of about .8 AFR my lowest being about 12.2 and my highest about 13.0..And its not going to get any better then that from tuning as far as im concerned..Thanks redhardsupra for your input,and injector spreadsheet

Quick Reply: My WOT fueling is different day to day??