Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"security" light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 07:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "security" light stays on

i've had a few issues with the security light and the car not wanting to start... i've researched and found how to put resistors in the ignition wires to resolve the prob, but for now the car will start and drive but the security light stays on constantly or it will go off momentarily as i'm driving but will come back on... when i shut the car off it will start back no prob but the security light is still on... any takers on why this is happening and will it hurt to continue to drive it like that... thnx...
Old 07-17-2006, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

ttt^^^^^^
Old 07-17-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have tuning software to delete vats from the computer?? What it sounds like is you are just close enough to the desired Resistance needed for the Vats to not be active, but not dissabling the starter. I would double check the resistance number of your key and make sure it matches what you put on the wires. If you disable vats from the computer, it will kill the light. but the body control module could still make it so your starter wont crank if it goes bad.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stangbangin69
i've had a few issues with the security light and the car not wanting to start... i've researched and found how to put resistors in the ignition wires to resolve the prob....
Having same issues SECURITY light almost always comes on when starting 4 out of 5 times...can you post some further details where you found out about adding these resistors?? Thanx.

EDIT: answered my own question I think, lots to try...surprising what Search here does

Last edited by BAD35thSS; 08-12-2006 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Launching!

After having a friend replace the ignition switch in my 2000 Grand Prix GTP, I had the security light on. The process to get rid of it in that might work on F-bodies as well. Takes about half and hour and you basically need to sit there in the car the whole time.

Turn key to ON position (not running) and sit there for about 10 minutes. I think the light should be blinking during this time. After about 10 minutes the light will turn off. Within 5 seconds, turn the key to OFF and quickly back to ON again, the light will be back on and blinking. Repeat this process for 3 cycles. After the 3rd time, when you turn it back to ON, the light should be out.

Like I said, don't know if it works the same on F-bodies, but its worth a shot if you have a half an hour and are bored lol. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: "security" light stays on