PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

LC-1/XD-1 calibration not working?!? Help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006 | 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Default Innovate LC-1/XD-1 calibration not working?!? Help ASAP

I run the lc-1/xd-1 setup purchased from a supplier.

I was getting an E8 error code. So I read the manual again, performed a sensor heater calibration followed by a free air calibration. The heather calibration was done by unplugging the sensor from the lc-1 cable and putting power to the lc-1 cable for roughly 15-20 seconds. The car was turned off. Then the sensor was plugged back in the lc-1 cable and remained in free air. Power was added and the black wire was grounded for 5 seconds to get into free air calibration mode. I let the xd-1 gauge cycle for a couple of minutes and then turned the power off. I plugged the sensor into the bung, started the car, and drove it around to find my idle and cruise AFR to be around 4.8-5.0 = not right! Please help me calibrate this lc-1/xd-1 setup so I can finally tune my car.

Also to be noted....I hooked up my HPTuners software and EIO plug. The software was reading 14.7-15.0 cruise and 12.8 idle. At the same time, the gauge was reading 4.8-5.0.

The gauge is grounded to the same source as the lc-1.

I posted on Innovate's forum with no luck. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Andy

Last edited by White.Lightning; 07-21-2006 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-21-2006 | 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

I spoke with Klaus at Innovate. He recommends checking the LM Programming software for fuel type and ground everything to the engine block. As soon as that is completed, I will post results.

Thanks
Andy
Old 07-22-2006 | 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Well, this morning I attempted to take my laptop, serial cable, and check the programming of the lc1 with LM Programmer. I do not have a serial port on my laptop, so I bought a db9 serial male to db25 male converter to plug into my com1 port. So I took the terminator plug out of the lc-1 cable and plugged in the serial cable 2.5mm end. I gave the cable power and tried connecting to the software. No luck.

I still haven't changed my ground location yet, but that is irrelevant to the programming of the lc-1.

Question now is.....how do I access the LM Programming software when all I have is a db25 printer port, USB ports, and a monitor port on the back of my laptop (HP nx7010 business portfolio)???

Does the serial cable go from the computer to the "IN" plug of the lc-1? To the "OUT" of the xd-1? Is the terminator plug needed when accessing the lc-1?

Instructions were unclear. Let me know

Thanks
Andy
Old 07-22-2006 | 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

I'm an idiot. I had a serial to USB connector for my HPTuners cable. Hooked it up to the xd-1 gauge and changed the setting to "Gasoline 14.7". It was set on something crazy- a custom setting. Then I started to re-wire the grounds to a better ground in the engine bay. I started everything and long behold, it starts raining and I do not have a garage. I will get back out there once it settles down and post more results.

Andy
Old 07-22-2006 | 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Update:
Ground was re-wired to the frame rail where the engine ground strap is. My shift light, heater wire, and gauge ground are all grounded to this point.

I changed the LM Programmer program to use "Gasoline 14.7" as its fuel type. It was set on a custom setting.

Now I need to recalibrate the sensor heater and perform a free air calibration. That will be done tomm. I ran out of time today.

So as the car sits right now, the sensor heats up and then flashes "E8" all the time. I am assuming once the sensor is recalibrated, this will go away.

Progress will be posted tomm.

Thanks
Andy
Old 07-24-2006 | 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

Update for today (yesterday):

Performed a free-air calibration from the XD-1 first thing this morning. Fire the car up and its reading 13.2-14.7 at a cold idle. I drive the car around, its reading AFR good for a while, then jumps around and gives false readouts. They ranged from 6x.x to 28.x. The gauge was going nuts, then would read the correct AFR. This would happen randomly.

Later on, driving the car to the city and back, it would be reading fine, then flash an error code E2 and continue to flash.

So right now the gauge is semi-working some of the time. Then it goes ape ****. I am going to try a heater calibration once more, then another free air calibration, then I am fed up with this unit. I will have to find some time this week to tackle this.

Results will be posted.
Andy
Old 07-31-2006 | 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

Results from yesterday:

Did a heater sensor calibration, along with a free air calibration. Upon startup, gauge would give false readouts.....AFR from 40.x-60.x. Then after a minute or two, it would read 13.x-14.x. Occasionally, during cruising, the gauge would post an E8 error, give false readouts, or some combination of the two. Then it would read normally again.

I do not know if the sensor is faulty or the gauge itself. Is there any way I can troubleshoot either one?

Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks
Andy
Old 08-01-2006 | 07:03 AM
TECH Addict

Any ideas????

ttt

Andy
Old 08-01-2006 | 07:14 AM
TECH Addict

these stories of the wideband sensor has me scared of the lc-1.hope you get it figured out.ttt
Old 08-03-2006 | 05:18 AM
TECH Addict

Taken from my Innovate Motorsports forum thread:

Originally Posted by Pontisteve
The LC-1 should be grounded to the engine block. The heater ground wire should be grounded to the block on one lug somewhere, and the system and analog ground wires should be grounded to a different lug also on the engine. I grounded one of mine to an intake bolt, and the other 2 to the back of the head.

You might want to read my tutorial on hooking the LC-1 up to the SCT Xcal2. It goes into grounds and ground offsets, as well as AFR formulas and checking for ground offsets. Even if you don't use the Xcal2, that stuff will be the same for all setups. Read it here....

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/r...2_tutorial.php

Think of ground offsets sort of like 10 houses that each have a 4" sewer pipe that goes to a main 12" pipe at the street. Each house has no problem dumping the sewage into that much bigger pipe. But if for some reason all 10 houses try dumping 4" of sewage at the same time, the 12" pipe is not nearly big enough, and the sewage backs up.

Your car has all sorts of electricity going thru the frame, because various things ground there. All these things travel thru the frame and ultimately thru your ground strap to the engine block. That ground strap would be the 12" sewer pipe. Most things aren't that critical to a little "backin up of the sewage". But when it comes to a very exact reading on the LC-1, a little backing up is a big problem.

The gauge grounding is not so critical, because the LC-1 talks to the gauge in digital, not analog.
That is a thorough explanation. I will try this once the weather breaks. Its been 100+ here. Results will be posted once completed.

Andy

Quick Reply: LC-1/XD-1 calibration not working?!? Help ASAP