Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is running E85?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qwikz28
why is it always whats economically feasable? why cant this country be concerned about whats more environmentally feasable? i live in NY and it is 95 degrees today. global warming anyone?

lol.... what's environmentally friendly... wrong site (or forum rather) for that a large minority here don't even run cats heh ... and to top it off... people complain about 3/gallon gasoline (hence the reasoning for this thread most likely... seeing if it's economically feasible) ... yet E85 equates to over 4 dollars/gallon given it's loss of energy

ya get a hot spell and it's instantly global warming
Old 07-29-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

money, money, money... Don´t anyone in the US care about the environment...
Old 07-29-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

at the cost of E85 over here compared to gasoline... no

If it wasn't for the liberal enviro wackos over here we'd have more oil than we knew what to do with ... between alaska and some areas in the western/midwest where oil's been found

Keep in mind the average commute here is 25/30 miles or so some even further (though I have the advantage of my commute being 2 feet... hence my not caring that I only get 12mpg ).... that's a big difference between 3/gallon now and 4/gallon for the equivalent in ethanol... as it is this time last year we were only pay a hair over 2/gallon for gasoline
Old 07-29-2006, 03:37 PM
9 Second Club

If you do some research on Ethonal based fuels, you'll find out that this country does not have enough land to supply enough base (corn, switch grass, ect..) to make ethonal based fuels that would someday replace fossil fuels. You could grow corn on every square inch of the USA and still not have enough..I'm not kidding !
And then all the resources it would take to process it would be huge.
At best it would replace a percentage of oil imported.
As a fuel for us hot rodders, it's great. As a way to save the environment, not much of a gain. As a way to wean us from foriegn oil, it's a start.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slicknic
If you do some research on Ethonal based fuels, you'll find out that this country does not have enough land to supply enough base (corn, switch grass, ect..) to make ethonal based fuels that would someday replace fossil fuels. You could grow corn on every square inch of the USA and still not have enough..I'm not kidding !
And then all the resources it would take to process it would be huge.
At best it would replace a percentage of oil imported.
As a fuel for us hot rodders, it's great. As a way to save the environment, not much of a gain. As a way to wean us from foriegn oil, it's a start.
u can use veggi and fruit trash too ya knw
Old 07-30-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by horist

ya get a hot spell and it's instantly global warming
i did some research on global warming and man is it scary. i believe out of the past 10 years, 6 of them were record breaking. the earth is warming up by about 1 degree. thats alot worse then it sounds.

now dont get me wrong. im putting a big cam in my car and i am deleting the cats. its not the fact of the matter that baffles me, more of the principle.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Here is the thing about global warming the earth is on a cycle like the different seasons of the year except the earths seasons are drawn out over 1000's of years and we havent been keeping records for that long. It cannot be said for certain that we are not due for another global seasonal change.

There are many other theories that explain the earths recent last 100 years rise in temp but global warming is the most extreme explaination and also the only theory that involves us having an impact. Humans do have an impact on thier environment but so do cows (they release huge amounts of methane gas a very potent green house gas) most people take too much of a microscopic view of the world the theory of global warming falls into this category.

OH BTW catalytic converters produce nitric oxide as a by product to burning carbon dioxide and nitric oxide is 300X more potent concerning destruction of the ozone than CO2. The EPA has known this since the 80's get your head around that one.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
Here is the thing about global warming the earth is on a cycle like the different seasons of the year except the earths seasons are drawn out over 1000's of years and we havent been keeping records for that long. It cannot be said for certain that we are not due for another global seasonal change.

There are many other theories that explain the earths recent last 100 years rise in temp but global warming is the most extreme explaination and also the only theory that involves us having an impact. Humans do have an impact on thier environment but so do cows (they release huge amounts of methane gas a very potent green house gas) most people take too much of a microscopic view of the world the theory of global warming falls into this category.

OH BTW catalytic converters produce nitric oxide as a by product to burning carbon dioxide and nitric oxide is 300X more potent concerning destruction of the ozone than CO2. The EPA has known this since the 80's get your head around that one.
thats pretty cool info. but that doesnt explain the recent temperature increases. i'm talking since 1990
Old 07-30-2006, 02:01 PM
9 Second Club

You need to look alittle further than NY, I'm in Kansas and it gets over 110 about every summer (and colder than **** in the winter). We set a record this summer but the old record was set back in the late 1800's. Go figure ...
They had a fit in CA about the rolling black outs last week..I don't think we had a problem with that in the 1800's, not because of the heat, because we didn't have electricity

Last edited by GFORCE1320; 07-30-2006 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Slicknic
You need to look alittle further than NY, I'm in Kansas and it gets over 110 about every summer (and colder than **** in the winter). We set a record this summer but the old record was set back in the late 1800's. Go figure ...
They had a fit in CA about the rolling black outs last week..I don't think we had a problem with that in the 1800's, not because of the heat, because we did have electricity
i am actually from egypt and go there occasionally. last summer i went there for a week and every day i was there the daily highs were above 130. even my grandmother, who has lived there her whole life (mid-80s), says she has never seen heat like the way its been the past couple years. and to think, i complain about 90 degree NY heat
Old 07-30-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by qwikz28
thats pretty cool info. but that doesnt explain the recent temperature increases. i'm talking since 1990
temps will fluctuate greatly over a very brief period of time like less than 100 years we need to look at the greater picture which is means of climatology over 1000's of years to see effective change, this is what I mean by macroscopic view instead of microscopic the earth is on alot slower clock than humans.

Some more info for ya:
"Criticisms of catalytic converters

Catalytic converters have proven to be reliable devices and have been successful in reducing noxious tailpipe emissions. However, they have two adverse environmental impacts in use (ignoring the pollution caused in their manufacture, which would not exist were they not mandated):

* The requirement for the engine to run at the stoichiometric point means fuel economy is not as good as that of a "lean burn" engine running at a mixture of 20:1 or weaker. This increases the rate at which fossil fuel resources are consumed, and the carbon dioxide emissions of the vehicle.

* Catalytic converters are estimated to account for 50% of total nitrous oxide (dinitrogen oxide, laughing gas) emissions to atmosphere. While N2O emissions in these concentrations are not harmful to human health, N2O is a potent greenhouse gas, accounting for around 7% of the overall greenhouse effect despite its small concentration in the atmosphere.

Therefore one conclusion is that catalysts have reduced toxic emissions and the incidence of smog at the expense of increased global warming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter

I took my cats off to save the environment
Old 07-30-2006, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that if E85 is going to take off in the US it is going to have to come from biomass that is produced in other countries. This can be a good thing also. There are starving nations in central america that this would be a great cash crop for them to produce and sell to us. Now, I have spent some time in central america, particularly Guatemalla and I can say I would rather line the pockets of poor mayans who desprately need something like this than the pockets of people who want to see us fall.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would love to burn E85 in my '02 Tahoe (it's compatible) but the nearest E85 station to me is over 100 miles away. I think there's a total of 3 stations in the entire state of Virginia.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
u can use veggi and fruit trash too ya knw
YOu can also use the waste products from beer production
Old 07-31-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Red99TA
I would love to burn E85 in my '02 Tahoe (it's compatible) but the nearest E85 station to me is over 100 miles away. I think there's a total of 3 stations in the entire state of Virginia.

to me this is the biggest factor against mainstream E85 useage, it doenst matter to flex fuel vehicles because tey can use either gasoline or E85, but to an E85 only car it can be a problem. If you want to take a long trip you are probably gonna run into problems in this country.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You would definitely run into probs going cross country. The EPA has a link somewhere on their website to look up all the E85 stations and while there are a lot in the Northeast there are many states that have hardly any (if any at all).
Old 07-31-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Freak
YOu can also use the waste products from beer production
why must you put the words "waste" and "beer" in the same sentence?
Old 08-14-2006, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

TTT, anybody else switched to E85 yet? As far as I can tell, if I tune my car correctly to run on 100% E85 it will run just fine as long as I don't go to WOT. The stock injectors just arn't beefy enough to handle the higher output needed for E85 at WOT. But, Motron 60lbers would work good to solve that problem. Other then that said, everything in a stock LS1 fuel system would work.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:11 PM
Launching!

I ran my 3.8 on it for about 6 months before I stored it. Smells funny, but it worked great with the turbo.

Keep in mind that the production of ethanol becomes more efficent every day, if cellulose ethanol plants become widespread, things will change.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blackhawk J
I think that if E85 is going to take off in the US it is going to have to come from biomass that is produced in other countries. This can be a good thing also. There are starving nations in central america that this would be a great cash crop for them to produce and sell to us. Now, I have spent some time in central america, particularly Guatemalla and I can say I would rather line the pockets of poor mayans who desprately need something like this than the pockets of people who want to see us fall.