Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Vehicle Soon and Charge system faultBr

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Vehicle Soon and Charge system fault

Brief history: Put my clutch in my 03 Z06, car drove for a while then stalled and wouldn't start back. Found a loose ground and car ran pretty good for a while and progressively got worse and worse, losing power and misfiring. Charge system fault, service vehicle soon, and the PCM code P1637.

So I took the exhaust and tunnel plate cover back off and checked, cleaned, and re-tightened every ground that I could have possibly disconnected during the clutch install. I replaced the wire that plugs into the alternator and soldered it in as well. Now the car seems to be running pretty well and has been for a few weeks, but I am still getting the charge system fault, service vehicle soon, and the P1637 code. I cleard the code out and it comes back within a matter of seconds.

Any advice? The only thing I can think of is the arching that occured when the header touched the starter for a second. I have checked all the fuses under the hood.

Also the few times the car cut off and wouldn't start back, if I pulled the relay under the hood that is for the pcm and plugged it back in the car would start back.

TIA for any help guys.

Last edited by Enthusiast; 08-01-2006 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check for battery acid leaking onto the PCM, that can cause all sorts of wierd problems. The batteries usually leak out the positive terminal.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GOaT Cheese
Check for battery acid leaking onto the PCM, that can cause all sorts of wierd problems. The batteries usually leak out the positive terminal.
Checked the battery and it is good and not leaking. It is a 6 month old optima red top. Any other suggestions guys?
Old 08-06-2006, 10:30 PM
Teching In

bump bump