PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

LTFT troubles and injectors 42's

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006 | 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

now how do you arrange the 3 things that you are logging with efi live? like what goes under data, then column, then row?

(i feel stupid as i have done this..but can't seem to remember it all)

Last edited by ZL1Killa; 08-16-2006 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-16-2006 | 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Data is DYNAIR (first setup Tune Tool units to be same as MAF table airflow).
Columns is RPM (0-8000, step by 8000, gives 1 column) or anything else (just have 1 column).
Rows is MAFFREQ (1500-12000, step by 125, gives 85 rows).

Select the average (x with bar over it).

May want to enable filter to eliminate throttle transition values (same as for BEN map), and to eliminate low count cells.

When your map is populated, just copy/paste it into MAF table.

This relies on VE table being already dialed in.
Old 08-16-2006 | 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

did it. lol. i figured it out about 30min after i posted my last post...
Old 08-16-2006 | 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by muncie21
Glad you got things worked out Robert.

To answer your question regarding the idle cells, you can either tune them by hand or change the filter in the custom histogram that you created. The original filter excluded idle, decel and WOT cells (PID.6310>0 and PID.6310<17)

To capture idle only cells (stay in SD with MAF disabled)
1) Delete this filter (save), start your car and let it idle.
2) Once it gets into Closed loop (2-5 minutes or so) start your logger.
3) Log for a few minutes, adjust your VE
4) Reset your fuel trims and log again.
5) Once VE is correct, use the custom histogram to adjust the affected MAF cells.

***As we discussed, idle may end up a tad rich (even with VE modified) due to differences in injector pulse width of the old and new injectors. If this is the case, you'll need to make some adjustments to your fueling tables......or just live with it
Ok understood, just one additional question. Why did my idle cell(s) go lean when they where rich, if we excluded MAF tuning of idle cells? Was in the area of positive 8/9/10 then after MAF recal, it now is 7/8/9 negative? The VE is allready set on the idle cells, can I just adjust down a tad? Like on the the higher rpm cells which we had no readings: the curve we multiplied up?
Robert
Old 08-16-2006 | 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robert56
Ok understood, just one additional question. Why did my idle cell(s) go lean when they where rich, if we excluded MAF tuning of idle cells? Was in the area of positive 8/9/10 then after MAF recal, it now is 7/8/9 negative? The VE is allready set on the idle cells, can I just adjust down a tad? Like on the the higher rpm cells which we had no readings: the curve we multiplied up?
Robert
Robert,
I don't exactly know the answer to your question. I would speculate that the filters being used by the PCM put more weight on the VE than the MAF at this low RPM boundary. You can try and adjust the VE cells for these areas up. In my experience, these two idle cells are also used for part throttle transitions and you'll have a hard time getting them right in both idle and low/slow throttle. But it can't hurt to try, right?
Old 08-17-2006 | 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

whats with this tho... is it just learning the LTFT's after i reset them, or should i lower the MAf table some... i logged the MAF table as described (flashed it once).

they need to serioulsy raise the limit on pictures... or i need to get a program that works well with getting pictures high quality and small. 150kb would be fine... but 100 is damn sure small.

here it is from my photobucket:
Old 08-17-2006 | 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

First I'd try to find out which is correct (VE or MAF) at this particular RPM/MAP zone. Second, if your VE and MAF are dead-on, your LTFTs should move very much at all. So if they are at 10 after an adjustment and fuel trim reset, I'd guess that you have a cell or two that's not quite right.

BTW, theimagehosting.com allows you to post clickable thumbnails. The full size image can be up to 1mb in size.
Old 08-17-2006 | 11:16 AM
12 Second Club
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Been following this thread for a while.

Quote from muncie:

"What the histogram should look like when finished and populated. When you get to this point, all you need to do is copy and past the values from this histogram into your MAF airflow table in Editor. You may want to smooth out any bumps or valleys that show up. Finally...keep in mind that these values are only as good as your VE table. If you didn't tune your VE table >4000 RPM (for example) then don't use values from that range, as they won't be valid."

I'm a little confused. The MAF table is in Mhz and you say don't paste values corresponding to > 4000 rpm if you haven't tuned in your VE table.

How do you know what Mhz correspond to what RPM?

I do like the histogram, I chose to use redhardsupra's automaf2.5 spreadsheet as it allows you to store data for a better historical standpoint, and greater decimal precision (driving in mornings vs. afternoons, temp differences etc.). With marcin's spreadsheet I got the MAF dialed in this week in 4 days, to and from work 25 miles each way. I too have 42's and the lower idle and map values are all around -8, but I'm living with it rather than messing with idle pulsewidths. The rest of the table is at 0 to +2.
Old 08-17-2006 | 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Viper

I'm a little confused. The MAF table is in Mhz and you say don't paste values corresponding to > 4000 rpm if you haven't tuned in your VE table.

How do you know what Mhz correspond to what RPM?
The easy way to do this is to not exceed 4000 RPM (or whatever the limits are of your VE table tuning) while trying to calibrate the MAF with this method.

An alternate solution is to use a filter in your histogram that excludes values greater than 4000 RPM (or whatever you choose). Just type in Sens.70 <4000

I've used Marcin's MAF cal spreadsheet also. It works, and is just another way to arrive at the solution. There are many ways to skin this cat, as you could also use AFR% error.....

BTW, even though it isn't displayed, the HPT histogram has something on the order of 5 decimal precision for logged values. Verify the exact number with one of the HPT boys.