PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does HPTuners support tow haul mode?

Old 08-18-2006, 11:46 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Does HPTuners support tow haul mode?

Currently I have my PCM reprogrammed by EFI Live and it has been setup so that I can use a button to put it in tow haul mode. The Tow haul mode is activated by grounding blue connector pin 71. Does HPTuners have any capability to support something like this? From what I have been reading it sounds like my computer might have an EFI Live custom operating system in it to enable this feature which HP Tuners does not offer. I really want to get HP Tuners and program my own PCM, but I don`t want to lose my tow haul mode . I just can`t see spending a couple hundred dollars more for EFI live.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's a pretty sweet button set-up. I'm also curious on this or if it was something offered on other trucks with the same PCM that was 'hacked' into
Old 08-19-2006, 10:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a custom OS deal and is pretty neat, I've seen no
mention of it from the HPTuners guys though. "Real"
tow/haul setups involve the BCM "sniffing" the button
and commanding it over the vehicle bus to the PCM.
The "unused" PCM connector wires are an interesting
"back door" that I'd like to see more general access
to (transmission, I just tune for full time sporty but
you could imagine a bunch of things that some modal
input would be great for - like "nitrous engaged", or
valet mode, or whatever.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The factory PCM supports performance mode, which is probably the tow/haul mode on trucks, and the secondary tables should be accessable through any software package out there.

I've never tried it on my car, since the tow/haul or performance transmission changes are hard to test on a M6 car

Ryan
Old 08-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Banned

Willem @ Fuel Injection Concepts's Avatar

yes, performance mode = tow/haul on trucks.. just some secondary trans tables. though triggering tow/haul mode as said is not normally done with the PCM wires he is talking about, but i believe its triggered definitly thru the data bus from the BCM. you would need to do some OS hacking to define your own trigger for performance mode.. but then.. i never really saw the point of a Tow/Haul-*** mode besides being a marketing gimmick for tuners. Why not always have it on "Performance"?
Old 08-19-2006, 07:19 PM
FormerVendor

pin 71 is the standard GM tow/haul/performance switch pin.

We call those tables performance mode in our software but if you wire it up it will work.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shoot me a PM on what you are looking for and I'll see if we can't get close on a price for EFILive if you are interested. It is really worth the extra just for the scanner.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bill @ Hi-Flo Turbo
you would need to do some OS hacking to define your own trigger for performance mode.. but then.. i never really saw the point of a Tow/Haul-*** mode besides being a marketing gimmick for tuners. Why not always have it on "Performance"?
It depends on what you use the car for, if it is a weekend toy I don`t see the need for it either. But if is like my car I see the need for a couple different modes if I could get them . My El Camino is my only car so I use it for everything. The tow haul mode button is still programmed for towing and it comes in handy for towing, especially since I do some heavy towing with it. I pull small trailers with it a lot, but I also pull 3000LB boats and have been known to flat tow a suburban with it. So being able to put the torque management back in, up the part throttle shift points and lock out 4th gear until 50mph at the push of a button is a definent bonus. Heck if I could get another shifting mode in it I probably would. I like the neck snapping shifts that I have right now, but they are not the best thing to have in the snow, or when trying to make a left turn across traffic. The back end tends to slide to the right on the 1-2 shift above 1/4 throttle .
Old 08-20-2006, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by gameover
pin 71 is the standard GM tow/haul/performance switch pin.

We call those tables performance mode in our software but if you wire it up it will work.
What do you mean by standard pin? Isn`t the tow/haul/performance shift selection usually done via the BCM and the serial data info going into C1 pin 59?
Does GM leave pin 71 setup and waiting for an input from a tow/haul switch?

I`m still deciding on what to do about programming, I don`t like having to rely on someone else to do things for me, but the cost of the programs keeps holding me back. I only paid $800 for my motor, sucks being on a college students budget .
Old 08-20-2006, 02:42 AM
FormerVendor

it can be done via class2 or via pin 71. The PCM supports both with just a simple option change.

The important thing for you to know is if your PCM currently has a efilive custom OS in it. If it has, you won't be able to tune it with our software unless it is reflashed to stock.

If it is the stock OS, then you will be able to tune the tow/haul/performace tables with our software.

Chris...
Old 08-20-2006, 10:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, that's a sweet bit of info and a new wiring project.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Banned

Willem @ Fuel Injection Concepts's Avatar

what do you mean option change chris? you mean hacking something in the OS? im assuming the computer is not automatically going to poll either pin 71 or the class 2 bus to see which one the switching is going to be done on and something needs to be changed in the os
Old 08-20-2006, 05:52 PM
FormerVendor

it is a standard calibration option. nothing needs to be hacked in the OS. The parameter is not in our editor right now but we can add it. In any case if you email me your file i can easily switch it in the meantime.

Chris...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does HPTuners support tow haul mode?