Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My AFR is off cause of my cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My AFR is off cause of my cam

I dont have a wideband, but the guy inspecting my car said he can smell the exhuast and can tell by that the AFR is off cause of the cam. (And oil haha) And said that incorrect AFR can cause the rings to not seal properly. Is that true? I have HPtuners. How do I adjust it to get the AFR correct in DaTuners
Old 09-05-2006, 06:48 PM
11 Second Club

you really need to get a wideband to dial in your idle a/f, plus you can't judge your a/f at idle based on what someone smells, there have been many times that someone has said my a/f is rich at idle even though my a/f guage reads 14.7-15.3......in hptuners play with your ve table from 400 to 1200, and adjust your base running airflow table after logging your desired airflow or stit and ltit's.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Josh McGrath
I dont have a wideband, but the guy inspecting my car said he can smell the exhuast and can tell by that the AFR is off cause of the cam. (And oil haha) And said that incorrect AFR can cause the rings to not seal properly. Is that true? I have HPtuners. How do I adjust it to get the AFR correct in DaTuners

Aaron,

I suggest you look into a wideband setup first and foremost. Not sure what Software version you have but for you it would be perfect to make changes on the fly as well as look at actual AF ratio vs Commanded and it shows you what you need to change...

Check out their site if you want to know more about it. The upgrade may be within reason for you to do all this stuff yourself...

Mike
Old 09-05-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, I have the most recent version. In fact I downloaded it 4 days ago. Ver. 2.1.12.0. I am not sure if it has the on the fly version or not.

How much would the wideband setup be? I am excited now cause I got the sticker even tho my car is, quote, "illegal as hell" hahaha

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Aaron,

I suggest you look into a wideband setup first and foremost. Not sure what Software version you have but for you it would be perfect to make changes on the fly as well as look at actual AF ratio vs Commanded and it shows you what you need to change...

Check out their site if you want to know more about it. The upgrade may be within reason for you to do all this stuff yourself...

Mike
Old 09-06-2006, 01:11 AM
Launching!

get a LC-1 or LM-1 or AEM or whatever
You HAVE to HAVE the HP Tuners PRO EIO cable to log your wideband!
Yes, if you run bad AFRs it can make the rings not seal correctly.

In my case I ran high AFRs cause I ported my TB & MAF. It ended up destroying my piston rings! They squeezed together and I lost compression, wouldnt even start!
80psi on all cylinders