PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts/opinions on Roadrunner LS1 Emulator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 07:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

parameters vary slightly from OS to OS but for the most part you get what I mentioned earlier VE, VE vs TPS multiplyer, PE, MAF airflow vs. frequency, High octane Spark table, Idle spark advance in drive, Idle spark advance in p/n, idle adaptive spark control overspeed, idle adaptive spark control underspeed, Target idle speed, Base running airflow, iac steps vs effective area, throttle cracker, throttle follower, o2 switch points, etc. There are a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head, but under normal circumbstances these will be all you'll ever need to tune idle, part throttle & wot and it can all be done in real time as your driving.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the Forum on the board to ask such a thing but, if you would feel more comfortable pm Geoff @ thunder or Craig Moates , the creator of the RR @ his site Moates.net

If you want unsolicted comments, there are sevral owners here too.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I think he was more or less wondering why hptuners didnt jump on board since he already owns hptuners. I don't think he realized hptuners already had something along the lines.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:42 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by foff667
I think he was more or less wondering why hptuners didnt jump on board since he already owns hptuners. I don't think he realized hptuners already had something along the lines.

Not to mention if he goes the route of the normal 1,2,3 bar Osmods we already offer, it does not cost him any more. Those were converted to RTT.

-Ken
Old 09-24-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Geoff
About 15 minutes...or less if you have had some practice at it.
Thanks Geoff and Jesse!

I'd read someplace that it was a little more time consuming. Guess I'll need to buy one before my next upgrade.

Sounds like a great time saver!!
Old 09-24-2006, 10:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You can't beat being able to tune your car, convert it to 2 or 3 bar, and RTT it for only $499, AND tune another vehicle as well.

RTT = Real Time Tuing.

HP Tuners offers a real time tuning solution for the stock GM PCM's!

Here is an example of it in action:
http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_edi...xamples_ve.htm

HP Tuners RTT was demo'd at the super chevy show many times, and its a huge time saver. No hardware to change, no wires to run, and the important tables you need are available to you, via real time. We tuned cars on the dyno without having to shut them off.. We simply enabled RTT, then did a few runs dialing in the tune each time, then shut the car off and commit our changes after we were done. Its such a huge time saver.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Folks,

I'm very glad to see that everyone who has tried the Roadrunner has enjoyed it. Your testimonials of actual hands-on experience with the unit are what is relevant here, and that is good to see.

My primary intent was for the device to make tuning faster, easier, and more efficient. That way you pro tuner guys can make some money and turn cars out the door instead of wrestling with 'problem children' for days on end.

The secondary (and more valuable) intent was for folks to be able to explore and experiment. For the tuning effort to become a learning experience. It sounds as though this is exactly what is happening, and that pleases me.

While the Roadrunner isn't engaged in competition with other products, if you're into that sort of thing, I suppose you could focus on the testimonials from the folks who have actually used the Roadrunner as well as other products. That way you don't get pulled into a lopsided perspective.

If I could have made the Roadrunner work with other software than EFILive and TunerCat, then I would have. However, this isn't in the cards.

Any questions you have about the Roadrunner (wireless options, upload speeds, data tracing, etc) I'll be glad to field.

Best regards,
Craig Moates
Old 09-25-2006, 05:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Magnus
You can't beat being able to tune your car, convert it to 2 or 3 bar, and RTT it for only $499, AND tune another vehicle as well.

RTT = Real Time Tuing.

HP Tuners offers a real time tuning solution for the stock GM PCM's!

Here is an example of it in action:
http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_edi...xamples_ve.htm

HP Tuners RTT was demo'd at the super chevy show many times, and its a huge time saver. No hardware to change, no wires to run, and the important tables you need are available to you, via real time. We tuned cars on the dyno without having to shut them off.. We simply enabled RTT, then did a few runs dialing in the tune each time, then shut the car off and commit our changes after we were done. Its such a huge time saver.
Which is it?

I'm currently looking for an RTT solution for my Bird and this left me a bit confused.

Originally Posted by Foff
parameters vary slightly from OS to OS but for the most part you get what I mentioned earlier VE, VE vs TPS multiplyer, PE, MAF airflow vs. frequency, High octane Spark table, Idle spark advance in drive, Idle spark advance in p/n, idle adaptive spark control overspeed, idle adaptive spark control underspeed, Target idle speed, Base running airflow, iac steps vs effective area, throttle cracker, throttle follower, o2 switch points, etc. There are a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head, but under normal circumbstances these will be all you'll ever need to tune idle, part throttle & wot and it can all be done in real time as your driving.
Please define normal circumstances. Tell me if this would work? If I'm tuning idle and want to change my running air flow, VE, and base spark tables at the same time. Or do I have to change one, commit changes, load another table, commit changes etc...

Last edited by TAQuickness; 09-25-2006 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:27 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
Which is it?

I'm currently looking for an RTT solution for my Bird and this left me a bit confused.

Its both. Make all your tuning changes to the RTT Ram tables. When you are dialed in commit them to permanent flash. No further tuning is needed.

Please define normal circumstances. Tell me if this would work? If I'm tuning idle and want to change my running air flow, VE, and base spark tables at the same time. Or do I have to change one, commit changes, load another table, commit changes etc...
The RTT tables are laid out in related groups. Why would you want to be tuning idle characteristics then start fooling with the airflow table? The VE table is supposed to be tuned to the engines airflow ability and has nothing to do with closed loop offsets or IAC/ETC base running airflow.

Here is one thing you can do with RTT that cannot be done with a memory emulator. You have the ability to switch individual tables between ram/rom with the click of the mouse. If you are trying to find a trouble spot, or just want to try a few quick combinations you can try some new values in the RTT tables then turn one table off while leaving the other table on (or vice versa).
This has proven to be more valuable than just the ability to edit real time.

-Ken
Old 09-25-2006, 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

Mods, I thought sponsors were supposed to stay out of other sponsors threads?? Not hock their product in the middle of a technical discussion?
Old 09-25-2006, 09:02 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 99FormulaWs6
Mods, I thought sponsors were supposed to stay out of other sponsors threads?? Not hock their product in the middle of a technical discussion?
Neither sponsor is knocking the others products as far as I can see so it stays unlocked...for now.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:28 AM
FormerVendor

We are not pushing product. The gentleman who opened this thread was asking if we would be getting onboard for the RoadRunner. As he is already a customer of ours, he was unaware that he already had the RTT option.

-Ken
Old 09-25-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Super Sport X2
Its both. Make all your tuning changes to the RTT Ram tables. When you are dialed in commit them to permanent flash. No further tuning is needed.

The RTT tables are laid out in related groups. Why would you want to be tuning idle characteristics then start fooling with the airflow table? The VE table is supposed to be tuned to the engines airflow ability and has nothing to do with closed loop offsets or IAC/ETC base running airflow.

Here is one thing you can do with RTT that cannot be done with a memory emulator. You have the ability to switch individual tables between ram/rom with the click of the mouse. If you are trying to find a trouble spot, or just want to try a few quick combinations you can try some new values in the RTT tables then turn one table off while leaving the other table on (or vice versa).
This has proven to be more valuable than just the ability to edit real time.

-Ken

Not sure that I see "value", or advantage, over Road Runner here.

For instance, if I want to tune idle, I will need access to injector offset tables, VE and/or MAF, running airflow, throttle cracker/follower, idle spark, start-up airflow, start-up friction airflow, base spark tables, OLFA, and Start-up/afterstart enrichment (to name a few).

If my understanding is correct, HPT utilizes leftover RAM in the PCM to emulate various tables. But since there is not enough leftover RAM to emulate the entire calibration the end user is left with a tuning only the tables that will fit in the PCM's RAM. Also, it sounds as if HPT decides for me what groups of tables I can tune in "RT", and not every table I may need to adjust is available for RTT.

Please help me see the advantage or value over the road runner if all the tables I need for a particular task are not available in real time.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Folks,

Please, all I ask here is that if there are comparisons presented in this thread or others, let them be made by people who are QUALIFIED to make a representative offering!

If we could somehow restrain ourselves and allow folks who have ACTUALLY USED BOTH systems describe the relative benefits, it would be a much cleaner illustration. Having one side or the other pontificate on how great their stuff is doesn't do any good, and it's downright misleading if not misdirecting.

The only real comparative analysis will come from ACTUAL USERS who have experience with BOTH systems. Other than that, you're just seeing sales pitches and other slanted / pseudo-religious opinions.

If you want to start a separate thread regarding the benefits of HPT RTT, go for it. If you'd rather contaminate every thread like this that pops up with redirecting propaganda, that is just downright inappropriate. I believe the only relevant question originally posted on here (why doesn't HPT work with RR) has been addressed. And it has been illustrated here repeatedly for the more perceptive among us.

Regards,
Craig
Old 09-25-2006, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by foff667
Neither sponsor is knocking the others products as far as I can see so it stays unlocked...for now.
I didn't say knock, I said hock, as in other sponsors are in here trying to sell the benefits of their product in a thread that directly says another sponsors product in the title. Wasn't there a big who-do about this before? Moates is correct, this thread was about Roadrunner, now we're discussing the benefits of HPT real time tunning.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:11 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I didn't say knock, I said hock, as in other sponsors are in here trying to sell the benefits of their product in a thread that directly says another sponsors product in the title. Wasn't there a big who-do about this before? Moates is correct, this thread was about Roadrunner, now we're discussing the benefits of HPT real time tunning.
I dunno what to tell ya Carl, read who's asking the questions about what RTT offers...hptuners just happens to be answering the questions. Also you might want to look up the definition of Hock before you use it again.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:18 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been very pleased with my roadrunner which ultimately helped me make the most progress in the drivability side of my tune in the shortest period of time. The ability to change every parameter on the fly is a huge timesaver and a godsend allowing you to try different things and make small moves without constantly pulling over and reflashing the computer. I dont even want to get into the big tuning software debate, just wanted to express my feelings that I think the Roadrunner is a well thought out piece of equipment that is a very effective tool and both Craig and Geoff are excellent to deal with in the event you encounter any issues which is certainly another consideration worth mentioning.

Tony M.

PS....Plus the "meep-meep" roadrunner sound after every move you make (if you opt to keep that enabled) is worth the price of admission....
Old 09-25-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Craig, Carl - I apologize for my contribution to the hijacking. I lost track when it turned towards - you don't need all those tables to tune. Since I'm about ready to hand over my coin, I'd like to know how you tune in RTT when all the tables you need aren't available.

!hijack

Last edited by TAQuickness; 09-25-2006 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have played with lots of products like this for work. There are advantages to both. I still think the best way to tune is take data, then look at it. Once u know what u want then make changes. Repeat. I look at my data and make change while the TV is on. Then I look it over before I put it in the car.

I am not a big fan of doing to much on the fly. This is called road code for a reason.

I think it is to easy with raodrunner. If u did alot of cars and knew what u want to change on the fly it would help. Not sure how much it would help the average tuner or how much troble it would get him in.

I have heard that there is FM radio interference, not sure if that is true.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Craig, Carl - I apologize for my contribution to the hijacking. I lost track when it turned towards - you don't need all those tables to tune. Since I'm about ready to hand over my coin, I'd like to know how you tune in RTT when all the tables you need aren't available.

!hijack

I have used both and there is absoulutely no comparison to the road runner. The road runner is the only one that should be allowed the titled real time tuning.

Quick Reply: Thoughts/opinions on Roadrunner LS1 Emulator?