PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After cam install how does the PCM do??

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default After cam install how does the PCM do??

I have recently installed a cam and ported ls1 heads in my 98 it's a 230/236 57x lift....i still have it on stock tunning and it's really like absolute crap. The car idles rought but i can;t tell if it's from the cam...or if it's missing....when in nutral it revs fine with no backfiring....it's a little slow though like slugish throttle respones....then when in drive when i gun it...it pops and spits like crazy.....i have checked everything like 4 times and don;t know what the deal is. I know it needs tunning really bad...i am getting misfire codes....even getting o2 codes on both sides...i was just wondering what the pcm is trying to do to adjust itself for this cam?

I seriously think if i ran the car down the track...i could post a 15...it's that bad

thanks
Old 10-01-2006, 05:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

theres only so much "adjusting" the computer can do for mods...throwing in a rather large cam isnt something the computer can adjust for...although some of your issues do sound more like mechanical issues once you do heads/cam your car will sound like crap lol
Old 10-01-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah the PCM can only do so much adjustments before you need to go in and adjust the tables. Does also sound like something mechaincal or electrical is messed up. I would check plugs, wires, and filters and all the other simple stuff. Check the plugs for hairline cracks in the ceramic if they have been messed with. I had a tiny crack in one before and my car ran like ***.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Seriously, get that thing tuned. I am sure you can find someone qualified to do so. If not, get a trailer and find one. You have spent some hard earned dough and installed this stuff, don't forget the last step.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

i swapped out some wires today and i think the car is running better....I was looking at my LTFT's and I am getting numbers from 8% all the way up to 29% is this usually what the pcm does to adjust for cam and heads?? this would also be why it feel like it has no power right? too rich

i am in the process of getting it tuned...just need more time