PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Pcm swap from 99 camaro to 00 trans am question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006 | 12:54 AM
Teching In

Default Pcm swap from 99 camaro to 00 trans am question

I am basically buying all the go fast parts off a buddy and he is taking my stock stuff (Cam, Valvetrain, mass air). Would there be any problems with the car not starting, or anti theft if we swapped pcm's since he already has a tune on his combo? I know on fords if you swap the pcm a dealer has to reprogram the anti theft module with 2 keys and im not that familar with Gm computers. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 10-03-2006 | 04:52 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

Yes, you would have to peform a VATs relink and a Crank Position Relearn and have your VIN burned to your pcm. Somebody with a Tech 2, HPTuners, EFI Live could do this for you.
Old 10-03-2006 | 05:25 AM
12 Second Club

If you go to the dealer you will loose the performance tune.
Old 10-03-2006 | 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

f-cars use a VPW vats system, so you can swap from vehicle to vehicle without any relearn.

You would need to make sure both are the same setup, as far a m6/a4 and the vin's will be incorrect, but the vehicle's will run.

Ryan
Old 10-03-2006 | 09:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slow
f-cars use a VPW vats system, so you can swap from vehicle to vehicle without any relearn.

You would need to make sure both are the same setup, as far a m6/a4 and the vin's will be incorrect, but the vehicle's will run.

Ryan

Both cars are M6, so then it shouldnt be a problem. I just didnt want to have the check engine light come on for no reason because of the swap. I appreciate the quick reply, Ive been following these boards for awhile but I dont post because im always busy.
Old 10-03-2006 | 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Doc
Yes, you would have to peform a VATs relink and a Crank Position Relearn and have your VIN burned to your pcm. Somebody with a Tech 2, HPTuners, EFI Live could do this for you.
How do you do a crank sensor relearn? I never had to do that. Maybe thats a issue with mine.