Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing vin in ecu

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default changing vin in ecu

Can you change the vin and tune in an ecu via hptuners? The ecu I'm using for my conversion is out of a tahoe or something (need it for fbody). Just wondering if I could use hptuners and one of the tunes I have downloaded to reflash the ecu. I don't really want to put the ecu in a friends car and have the dealership flash it for the vin I want.

Last edited by fast377; 10-21-2006 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Once the VIN is flashed I believe it goes to a non-volatile area of memory, whereas the engine management data stays in the EEPROM for modification. So in short, I don't think you can change VIN's once it has been initially programed when installed. I could be wrong though.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Efilive allows you to make Vin changes all you want.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

I second what Jesse said. I can't speak for HPTuners but I would assume that you can change the VIN as well. Another consideration when you swap the PCMs is the Crank Position Relearn function.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Teching In

HPTuners will allow you to change the VIN also. This is the info from HPTuners Help

Changing the VIN
Using the Change VIN function allows you to easily change the VIN of the vehicle you are connected to.
This method changes the VIN without having to write a new flash file to the vehicle. Using the Change VIN form will not change the VIN of the file you currently have open.

Procedure
To make VIN changes permanent please use the following steps:

1. Connect to the vehicle and select Change VIN from the Flash menu.
2. Enter your new valid VIN and click Commit VIN Changes.
3. Wait 15 seconds after VIN changes have completed.
4. Turn Ignition off for 30 seconds.
5. Turn Ignition on for 30 seconds.
6. Turn Ignition off for 30 seconds.
7. Turn Ignition on for 30 seconds.
8. The new VIN is now stored.

Change VIN Rules
The following checks are in place when using the Change VIN function:

* You must have support for the vehicle you are modifying.
* You must have support for the new VIN you are trying to write.
* The new VIN must be valid and must qualify for the OS currently found on the VCM.
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (12-06-2021)
Old 10-22-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

But, in Hp you can only change vins for the cars you have support for. So if the pcm came from another year or make that you dont have support for, it wont let you change the vin.

EFILive allows you to make any car into any vin number without using up a license.
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (12-06-2021)
Old 10-22-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

AWESOME!!!! Thanks, thats all I needed to know!
Old 10-23-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

even with a tech 2 flash you can alter the vin. It is not a locked proogram from the factory.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wait4me
But, in Hp you can only change vins for the cars you have support for. So if the pcm came from another year or make that you dont have support for, it wont let you change the vin.

EFILive allows you to make any car into any vin number without using up a license.
That is a bit of a bummer. So it's either spend 50 for a liscense or 75 at the dealer to relfash this thing.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
even with a tech 2 flash you can alter the vin. It is not a locked proogram from the factory.
I replied to the original thread in error, I didn't read completely that he was asking about HPtuners. I don't know much about HPtuners or its abilities. What I do know about is factory stuff, and you can change the VIN with the Tech2, but the car will not run properly, because it will download the calibrations for the VIN you enter. What I was refering to is that you cannot just go in and change VIN's, and only the VIN. With a VIN change using the Tech2, you get ALL applicable calibrations for that VIN. If you reprogram an existing PCM, in SPS programing it asks "is this the correct VIN", if you select no, you must enter a new VIN at the program terminal,if you simply want to swap the PCM to another vehicle and just want to change the VIN, so that all other modules work properly, then you cannot do that with a Tech2, you must enter the new VIN and reprogram the module with all of the calibrations for the new VIN. In short, you can't change just the VIN with the Tech2 and not change everything else at the same time.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GOaT Cheese
What I do know about is factory stuff, and you can change the VIN with the Tech2, but the car will not run properly, because it will download the calibrations for the VIN you enter. What I was refering to is that you cannot just go in and change VIN's, and only the VIN. With a VIN change using the Tech2, you get ALL applicable calibrations for that VIN. If you reprogram an existing PCM, in SPS programing it asks "is this the correct VIN", if you select no, you must enter a new VIN at the program terminal,if you simply want to swap the PCM to another vehicle and just want to change the VIN, so that all other modules work properly, then you cannot do that with a Tech2, you must enter the new VIN and reprogram the module with all of the calibrations for the new VIN. In short, you can't change just the VIN with the Tech2 and not change everything else at the same time.
That's what I want to do. I'm doing a 3rd gen ls1 swap, and the ecu I have is from a tahoe. My hptuners is year locked for 2000 fbodys, so I want to reflash my tahoe ecu for a 2000 year fbody. That way, I will have the correct fbody calibrations for the ls1 engine as well as tuning capabilities via hptuners.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Default VIN and HP Tuners

I found this thread while searching for an answer, so I'll put in my .02:

I put a 2003 LM7 5.3 V8 into my Supra using a 1998 Corvette PCM and 1998 F-body wiring harness. When HPT finally arrived, I installed it and hooked it up per the instructions. HPT gave me a connection error. After re-instslling the software and contacting suppport and double checking my wiring, I was told I needed to have a dealer reflash the VCM with a Tech 2 since the VIN it was reporting was invalid, and there appeared to be some corrupt data.

I used an Actron OBD2 reader and pulled code 1518 (electronic TB) from the VCM, so I know it is communicating at some level. When I try and write a VIN using HPT, I get the same connection error message and can't input anything.

EDIT
Keith from HP Tuners stepped up and took care of the problem.

Last edited by V8 Supra Builder; 01-24-2007 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:43 PM
Teching In

how do i obtain that EFlive? Does it work on new models?
Old 07-06-2017, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,025 Likes on 2,356 Posts

They're still around. It's a New Zealand-based company, and they have a website. Google it, you'll find them.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

www.efilive.com

Quick Reply: changing vin in ecu