PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning suggestions for a Crane Cams programmer.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 04:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tuning suggestions for a Crane Cams programmer.

Hey all,
I just picked up a Crane Cams PowerMax Performance Power Tuner today. First, any suggestions for tunes. So far the only thing done to the car is 3" exhaust from manifolds back w/o cats. Stock 273 rear end. Its the 5.7L 350 ls1 w/ auto trans. And second, I removed my cats and my o2 sensors are trippin *****. Hasn't seemed to have any real effect on the car so far, just a little slower, no rough idle or shakes. With the programmer I was able to turn off the error message (P0420). Does this just reset it so in another 300 miles the light will come back on? Is there a way to simulate the o2 sensors with the programmer and not have to buy o2 sims?
Sorry for it bein so long,
Skuz
Old 11-04-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've downloaded the Crane Power Max tuner file from a 1999 Corvette that had long tune headers, a 222/222 camshaft and an air intake. The car pinged badly, wanted to stall when the clutch was depressed when coming to a stop light, the cooling fans didn't come till over 212*F and it labored to maintain it's idle. When this tune was compared to a stock 1999 Corvette tune (using Hp Tuner's) the owner of the car and I had a good laugh. He though that some 9 year old did the program by just randomly pushing buttons.

Anyway he learned that he wasted his money. In spring he is going to flash the car back to stock, sell the programmer and have me tune his car properly using my Hp Tuners and wideband O2.

Russ Kemp
Old 11-04-2006, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Red face

That sucks for the guy with the corvette. However, I have a Camaro. I spent the money already on it. I dont have 500 for a professional tune. Not to mention, that nothing in what was said answered anything to do with my question... thanks for the story tho.
Skuz
Old 11-04-2006, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

You may reset codes but not permanently turn them off. High performance tunes have some codes turned off, but I can't find rhyme or reason why. You may increase or decrease timing and fuel. You can return to stock or the original tune you began with. Let the car adjust for 50 miles or after changes. My first attemp made the car haul azz but soon lost all the gains to high knock levels.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hate to say it but handheld power programmers are junk, there really isnt a whole lot you can do with them besides change shift points an recalibrate your speedo if you get different gears, for the money you spent on that programmer you could've gotten a tune but since your car isn't even moderately modified that'd pretty much be a waste of money too--now about your O2's 1. No there is no way you can simulate the sensors just with that programmer, 2. You can clear the code but it will come back on eventually, you need to have it permanently deleted from the PCM-this can be done with any kind of tuning software HPtuners, Autotap, LS1edit, etc etc.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure on the Crane, but Predator will allow you to permanently turn off air/egr/rear 02 codes. P0420 sets as soon as it sees a problem, so you'll know pretty quick if it just deleted the current code.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Thanks for your help. The tuner I bought from a friend for 125 bucks cause he had his pro-tuned. Can't go wrong with not many mods yet for that price. I've been lookin for o2 sims and the average price seems to be like 55-60 bucks. Does that sound right?
Old 11-04-2006, 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Skuz1503
Hey all,
I just picked up a Crane Cams PowerMax Performance Power Tuner today. First, any suggestions for tunes. So far the only thing done to the car is 3" exhaust from manifolds back w/o cats. Stock 273 rear end. Its the 5.7L 350 ls1 w/ auto trans. And second, I removed my cats and my o2 sensors are trippin *****. Hasn't seemed to have any real effect on the car so far, just a little slower, no rough idle or shakes. With the programmer I was able to turn off the error message (P0420). Does this just reset it so in another 300 miles the light will come back on? Is there a way to simulate the o2 sensors with the programmer and not have to buy o2 sims?
Sorry for it bein so long,
Skuz
try this. do the high perf/stock cam tune. add in the shift firmness and shifting. i added +10% timing to mine. did a back to back track run. picked up .2 and 1.4 mph.

Quick Reply: Tuning suggestions for a Crane Cams programmer.