PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AEM plug and play tuning software?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AEM plug and play tuning software?

Does anybody have an idea when this might be coming out? Also I am kind of a tuning newbie, but why would this be any better than HP tuners, especially since most AEM tuning kits cost above $1500. Could anybody fill me in?
Old 11-08-2006, 07:04 PM
The know it all's know it all

Originally Posted by fastGBcamaro
Does anybody have an idea when this might be coming out? Also I am kind of a tuning newbie, but why would this be any better than HP tuners, especially since most AEM tuning kits cost above $1500. Could anybody fill me in?
AEM plug and play is an aftermarket ECM that replaces the stock PCM. It offer solutions that are not aviable in the stock PCM things like correct 3bar fueling etc. For most Applications the stock PCM is more then enough to do the job but in cretian high output forced induction applications this pcm could be advantageous. However for the record as far as I know you cannot run a plug and play with low impedence injectors without a seprate injector driver box. You have to give more info to have anyone assist in the decision you are attempting to make.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Our standalone system sales has really declined over the years due to the better PCMs and custom tuning abilities of GM and Ford vehicles. Where such standalones really shine is for the many vehicles that have limited custom tuning software, such as Daimler Chrysler and import vehicles. Most AEM sales are for imports. However, there is a place for such standalones if additional controls are needed. such as staged injectors, boost and nitrous plus the ability to go up to 5 bar MAP sensor. Years ago when we had just ECMs (engine control modules), standalones were an easier alternative but now and in the future, due to the VCMs (vehicle control modules), these standalones can no longer completely replace the cars VCM due to the additional duties imposed on the computer such as guages, horns, heaters, AC etc. So piggybacking them to the existing VCM is required, which for many, is much more complex due to wireing.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AEM unit replaces the curcuit board in your PCM, which them allows you to tune it with the EMS software. The production pieces should be available very soon. The AEM EMS will control all of the OEM parameters ... such as stock gauge cluster, ABS, Traction Control and so forth. Plus it will allow true real time tuning like every stand alone out there.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fastGBcamaro

It should be out in short order. As far as better than HP Tuners... Both systems have advantages and disadvantages that come with both of them. At the end of the day it depends on what you need from your management system (options).

Chris Macellaro