PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does everyone ask me if I have a chip?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tell them 1990 called and wants its automotive performance technology back, in a really condescending voice. works like a charm.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
EEPROM: Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory. "Flash" refers to the ability reprogram the prom numerous times whereas the legacy proms were "BURNT" meaning they were more like a one-shot. There was no going back with them. Your only alternative was to remove the chip and install one that had upgraded data 'burnt" onto it.
That's exactly right. We have EEPROM which is basically a difference (more advanced and expensive) in the type of memory we have.

With a "chip" they can't dial in a tune nearly as accurate as we can, especially if they do any mods the chip wasn't built for.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SmokeySS
No waiii man you must get tehh chipz!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAC-C...QQcmdZViewItem
Works with both standards and manuals
Old 11-22-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SmokeySS
No waiii man you must get tehh chipz!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAC-...1QQcmdZViewItem
If there are people dumb enough to send that guy money, then I truly believe Darwin will take care of them in due time. I just wish we didn't have to hear them bitch about how they were screwed until that day comes. I wonder if there's a legal way we could speed up that process???
Old 11-22-2006, 10:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS
I can't even count how many times I've been asked if my car has a chip and I always say "no, the pcm was dynotuned with ls1 edit." Then the next thing I hear is "Oh, well you should get a chip." And I've never gotten an inquiry like this from another ls1 driver. As far as I know, we don't have a chip that can be replaced. Is this just because of the typical ricer mentality that pervades the automotive world nowadays or am I missing something.
You must hang around with Mustang owners.The're tunes are changes with chips.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, I have a chip in my car..... I found it on the floormat, or maybe under it but I promptly threw it away. That should work. Or you could just tell them that your engine isn't controlled by a chip but by a programmable on-board computer, but then their head might explode... and that could be messy
Old 11-22-2006, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

Just tell them this isnt the 80s anymore. lol Chips
Old 11-22-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

I get the same thing on my '99 Camaro SS. However, I do "burn" my own chips for my '87 Camaro IROCZ. So, some Camaros do have chips, its the OBDI cars.

A funny note on this topic is that I talk to a friend of a friend who was selling his 2000 Camaro Z28, and he swear that his car had a chip in it that made it faster. No matter how I tried to convince him that there are no chips in these late model cars, he would not believe me and kept saying that the Chevy dealership told him that the car had a performance chip in it.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
EEPROM: Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory. "Flash" refers to the ability reprogram the prom numerous times whereas the legacy proms were "BURNT" meaning they were more like a one-shot. There was no going back with them. Your only alternative was to remove the chip and install one that had upgraded data 'burnt" onto it.
I would like to expand on Eallanboggs nice post just for one of those misc facts.
We are talking about Technology confusion anyways.

This is one thing I see people confusing a lot:
Not being an *** here but EEPROM and Flash are not the same technology. Only stating this so people don't get confused in the future. You can, however, 'flash' either type of memory.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had the same conversation with my younger brother the other day. he's getting into cars now and likes to ask all the questions. Trying to steer him away from the bad influence of the ricer car guys.

I took the more educational approach and explained...

A "chip" was memory used to store the config information on the older cars/computers. The "chip" was called an EEPROM. Reprogramming the chip required a burner and had to be all done at once. The "burner" used ultraviolet light to change the logic (i.e transistors/gates) in the "chip". This effectively gave you your new settings. People would buy a new "chip" already preburned with the new settings "tune" they need for the mods they had. Then they or a shop would replace the stock one in the car with the new one.

The new cars use flash memory like USBs, cameras and new computers today. You don't have to reburn the whole memory because it is organized in blocks and can do it in application so a special burner isn't required. All you need is the right SW to talk to/program the car PCM just like your computer talks to/programs your USB drive.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:59 AM
TECH Veteran

You meant single E, EPROM.

Well, the EEPROM doesn't require the UV lamp... The lamp erases the data which can take 30 minutes to erase. Then, you plugged it into a chip burner. Mine was genertic so you had to enter the type of chip. Put it in a certain way according to the manual. Then, load the bin file into the program. There you go. That is how we did the arcade games anyways. Never tried it with older cars as you would need to know what mem location cooresponded with which variable and if it was 1 sector or 2.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

Next time someone asks you if you have a chip, have a picture of Erik Estrada in his cop uniform taped to your battery. Pop your hood and say "Yep, there's my CHiP!"
Old 11-24-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Thumbs down It's nice to

Originally Posted by brad8266
tell the tards to just **** off, there is no chip for us.
know, that the performance community has people like you, that were born with all the knowledge, that you started with.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what's to debate? dumb down your answer and just say yes.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

I love it when ppl ask me if i have a chip, it makes me laugh, and then i just say somthing funny like "yea, i got 2 or 3 in there". Im allways thing of diff stuff to say, i get a kick out of it.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Veteran

"yes, its got a chip in it, most ECM's do. now go away, youre making it uncomfortable."
Old 11-24-2006, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

so wait... are you guys telling me that the super performance chip I got off ebay for 40 bux that plugs into my IAC sensor isn't a performance chip!?!?!
Old 11-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by horist
so wait... are you guys telling me that the super performance chip I got off ebay for 40 bux that plugs into my IAC sensor isn't a performance chip!?!?!
Yes, it actually is. Anything off of Ebay (especially for that price) is ALL about performance.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why get one chip when you can get two
Old 11-25-2006, 02:04 AM
On The Tree

Damn, this chip thing is going way too far