PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does everyone ask me if I have a chip?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 02:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OH yeah, some dumbass bastard with a v6 firebird is telling people he has a lamborghini diablo chip and a racing transmission. lol.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAHAHA. You just tell the chip what performance characteristics you want and it magically happens!!

I blame TV and the movies for all the dumb-asses of today. Damn kids and their shows.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I blame TV and the movies for all the dumb-asses of today. Damn kids and their shows.
i believe it dated back to the first retarded *** "Fast and the Furious" Movie....in that cheesy movie, along with the 2 following that got progressivly worse, adolesents percieved all that movie as truth.....i have to admit when i was 12 i thought "ricers" were cool too...then i turned 16, drove my parents 30th anniversary WS6 and saw the light, i now have my own SS that is far from stock
Old 11-25-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Veteran

A F-body saved yet another life!

Seriously, I know people realise that TV is fake but I think it hypnotizes them after so long. Sad.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wink

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
Tell 'em you have a chip next to your headlight fluid resivoir. They'll leave you alone...
oh i like that, do you use halogen or incandesent fluid?
Old 11-25-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unhappy

Originally Posted by DarthQuaider
OH yeah, some dumbass bastard with a v6 firebird is telling people he has a lamborghini diablo chip and a racing transmission. lol.
thats probably true. i have an employee who put 'vtech' on her 300Z and on her vette she put 'Type R'. I had to tell her what they meant.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:52 PM
12 Second Club

I got the whole chip thing today at the dealership before I even test drove it. I ask whats that (ent up being some security thing) and he says its a chip.

And I saved another from the ricer crowd. I took the said car home for the night to test drive it and see what I think about it because I turned down a hell of a deal on the car. So they sent me home with and said bring it back tomarrow. But anyway I took my brother and his friend with a riced our Cavalier and I gave it probaly 3/4 throttle and them two were in the back seat shitting there pants. Now he wants a Camaro.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:24 AM
On The Tree

I started working at Advance Auto Parts where I live and I found out why people still think this. I looked on the database 2001-chev-camaro ss-5.7-accessories-COMPUTER CHIP-Hypertech Power Programmer III-$399!!!!!!!. Handheld tuners are under performance computer chip in the parts database, even when it's for my specific vehicle. See guys, even parts store refer to it as "chip". May be wrong but when someone orders their tuner from a parts store like that it will come up as "chip" and the salesman will call it a "chip" and they will go home and tell everyone they have a "chip" not knowing any better because they were told it is a "chip" from day one. So, you think they're actually gonna believe you (a guy who owns a fast car and does his own work on it) over the guy that works behind the parts counter that sold him what he believes to be a "chip"? Don't think so. So don't blame the newbs, it's not their fault...
Old 11-27-2006, 01:32 AM
On The Tree

So until they change it in the database, every newb that goes in there and buys a damn programmer is gonna go out and start all this chip **** all over again. Oh how it spreads like a disease, like 90% of people here think they have a chip. And then everyone tells there kids they have a chip and their friends and their kids tell their friends and since someone's dad and the parts guy tells them that they all think they have "chips" and to them we are all the dumbasses that don't have "chips"... We're always gonna be the minority, but funny how the guy without the "chip" his car is faster than the ricer that has his "chip" and they wonder why their cars are slower.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:49 AM
TECH Addict

Actually they DO have chips, but they are no longer mounted in a socket that allows them to be removed and replaced with a different chip that has upgraded software "burnt" onto it. Nowadays most chips are soldered in except for maybe the CPU on your PC motherboard which probably has a zero insertion force socket. I never saw the inside of a PCM, ECM or TCM, but I'm sure they too are just chock full of "chips".
Old 11-27-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS
I'm definitely getting one of those for my 03 Camaro
they work on standard and manual tranmissions!
Old 11-27-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by silverbandit0996
they work on standard and manual tranmissions!
Sorry for going off topic, but what exactly is that a picture of in your sig???
Old 11-27-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Actually they DO have chips, but they are no longer mounted in a socket that allows them to be removed and replaced with a different chip that has upgraded software "burnt" onto it. Nowadays most chips are soldered in except for maybe the CPU on your PC motherboard which probably has a zero insertion force socket. I never saw the inside of a PCM, ECM or TCM, but I'm sure they too are just chock full of "chips".
That is correct...
The PCM has a bunch of chips, and they're all soldered on.
The Flash chip is erased/programmed electronically.

Historically (as already may have been mentioned):
EPROM: remove chip from socket, erase using UV, program using burner;
EEPROM: erase/program electronically bytewise [usually];
Flash: erase/program electronically blockwise, uses newer/denser technology than EEPROM.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

!!!!!
Old 11-27-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

So I'm guessing everyone in here get's mad at the misinformed kid for calling whatever it is a chip(module,reflash etc etc)? That's what people call them. Yes I get phone calls everyday for people asking for chips for there 2007 whatever. Get over it and move on. That's the terminology people use. Not just the ricers. Next time one of you guys is at taco bell and asks for a burrito I hope the guy that works there gives you the stupidest look and says. "Then go to a mexican restraunt. These aren't burritos even though that's what people call them."
Old 11-28-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Veteran

It takes a bag of chips to make a PCM.

Tell them you upped the clock on your PCM and gained 50 HP.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Veteran

The number one thing I hate are people that think reprogramming can perform outrageous miracles for stock vehicles. Personally, I think of reprogramming as just getting the motor to where it should be not magically making power.

They see ads on TV for reprograms that give diesels 50 HP or so and they think wow I bet they can do the same with my Civic! I guess they don't know that these 'miracle' programmers are just 'unlocking' features already built into the trucks by GM to help you out when you are at a higher altitude. Your truck could have of done that to begin with but it was never designed to operate that way.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

I can make 150 rwhp on a 6.0 ford turbo diesel, with a programmer. (there is no chip port) but I can make 110 rwhp with a "chip" on a 7.3 diesel truck, since there is a chip port.

stock Gas vehicles are not typical to gain more than around 10%, on average with tuning.

Ryan
Old 11-29-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its an *** clad in thong.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

or tell them you don't have a chip, you have a flux capacitor and a quart of blinker fluid!!!! had to do it