Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

N2O Timing Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 02:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N2O Timing Question

I read this in a thread in the Nitrous forum. Could somebody please shed some light on it for me? I'm looking at spraying in the future and this could be the answer I've been looking for.

Originally Posted by HD1911
u guys need to find a good tuner who knows his ****...you can run hellatious timing in NA, then run a wire to the PCM from the nitrous arm switch that senses when the nitrous is armed, and Voila! an alternate operating program on your PCM takes over for the nitrous with retarded timing, etc. You see, you get the best of both worlds.
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

i was wondering if it could be done with a resistor on the iat sensor that is close to 40 ohms which would read somewhere around 300* and make the tune take away the degrees needed. then take away the resistor for reg high motor timing. i want to try a **** like what is used on volume controlls that has a max of 5 k ohms wich is 45 * give or try. crazy idea hopfully it works
Old 12-04-2006, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

I know in the L67 community they can add a table into the PCM and they sell what used to be called "Happy ****" and it was a simple **** that does just what you're describing. Plugs inline with the IAT. I forget the range of adjustment, but it should be plenty for what the majority of the average LS1 N2O users would be spraying.

I'm just trying to figure out how to have max N/A power and safe timing with N2O usage without spending hundreds of dollars on tuning software (I don't know how to tune) so it would be a matter of having someone do 2 separate comprehensive dyno tunes that I would have to flash to the PCM. Can we say inconvenient? So the only other option is the Timing Tuner, and that's a little more than I want to spend as well. Man... Sometimes I miss distributors...
Old 12-04-2006, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Demon_Speeding
I read this in a thread in the Nitrous forum. Could somebody please shed some light on it for me? I'm looking at spraying in the future and this could be the answer I've been looking for.

Thanks in advance.
I am by no means an expert on this but I think this is referring to a custom operating system (OS). A tuner can create and download this custom program to your PCM. This custom OS would be active when your nitrous system is armed (references a nitrous specific table in the programming). The nitrous wiring taps into one of the pins on the PCM.

AFAIK, not all model years can be configured to do this. If I remember right, I think the 2002 model PCMs (F-body) can be configured for this. I am positive that the 98 PCMs can't (looked into this in the past ).

Also, EFI Live does support custom OS. Not sure about other companies like HP Tuners.

As far as using a resistor, I believe that only applies to dry systems, not wet. Maybe someone could confirm that for me.

Hope this helps a little.

Brian
Old 12-04-2006, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

From what I understand it works for the '99 - '02 PCMs. I'll have to dig around. I remember not long after I bought my car it was discussed in different places as far as plugging a resistor into the IAT plug for more aggressive timing. If that works, in theory changing the resistance you could plug a different ohm resistor and have it retard timing. It might take some time to figure out, but it could work. I think the only trouble is, that it might not pull enough out. I mean for someone with a H/C setup that's been dyno tuned, chances are the tuner has added more timing than what will be able to be pulled out with a resistor.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

i had edit b4 and you could take timing depending on how high the iat was now with a resistor that would read 300* you could set it to take out x amout of deg for that ait. and maybe take away 0 deg at x deg. thats when you would use the **** to make the change. you would just need to know where the temp would be for certain ohms. and where to stop on the ****
Old 12-05-2006, 07:23 PM
9 Second Club

Its COS5 for EFILive.....right now they only support 2 operating systems....I think its for 2002's only right now.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would consider investing in a timing tuner. I know this is totally different that an alternate program in the pcm, but it's easy and works well.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

From what I'm hearing it looks like a timing tuner may be my only option at this point. Oh well... Could be worse.

Thank to all for your input.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Demon_Speeding
I know in the L67 community they can add a table into the PCM and they sell what used to be called "Happy ****" and it was a simple **** that does just what you're describing. Plugs inline with the IAT. I forget the range of adjustment, but it should be plenty for what the majority of the average LS1 N2O users would be spraying.
yeah it would work with LS1's as well, just a matter of adjusting the IAT spark adder table properly. You could also make fueling adjustments using the IAT PE adder table as well with something like that.