PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any dodge experts here?

Old 12-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default any dodge experts here?

I know this is a lsx site, and i've posted in dodge forums with no luck.......seems like gm guys are the only smart ones around. Anyway, I'm working on a 96 dodge 1500 5.2 5 speed 4x4.

I'm working on my budys truck that was brought to me because of a battery draining issue. I charged the battery and tried to start it to move it so I could begin to diagnos the drain and it wouldn't start. It was drove to my house the night before. It has since held a charge and cranks over fine, just won't start. It doesn't have spark or fuel.

I checked and swapped both fuel and asd relays and they are fine. I can jump power to fuel pump at the relay and get the pump to run. It gets power to both relays in constant 12 volt and key on hot terminals it just seems as though the computer isn't completing the circut. I have checked all fuses and they seem good.

anybody have any ideas where to look next?

Tomorrow I'm gonna double check everything. It seems to me that it should be a fuse or relay, but I can't find anything wrong. Are their fuseable links anywhere that would control these? I didn't see any.

I just found out I don't have a check engine light when key is on..........maybe pcm? fuse is good, and has power. Anyone have pinouts for this computer so I can see if it has juice?

thanks

Last edited by 78TA; 12-09-2006 at 10:46 AM. Reason: changed 95 to 96
Old 12-08-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

Does Dodge have anything like the GM Pass-Key VATS system that disables fuel and won't crank the motor unless a certain test is passed?
Old 12-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Teching In

I don't know, my dodge knowledge is limited. The engine cranks fine, just no fuel, no spark and no check engine light bulb test. The battery has held a charge for 4 days now, and before it wouldn't last 8 hours before it was dead, so whatever was killing it is gone. Could something in the pcm have been draining the battery and now it has completely fried its self?
Old 12-08-2006, 03:42 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

At first I would have said ASD relay, but, it sounds as if you might have a security problem. Whatever triggers or makes the contact on the ASD relay side is wacked. If you have power @ the fuse locations and it starts, then you shouldnt have any fuseable links blown. Also, if you turn on your key and your check engine light doesnt light up, then the bulb is burnt out, and you might have some helpful codes in history. This might not be appicable info but, on a 92 ford F-150, long ago...I had a charging issue. Wouldnt charge the battery and of course the customer had replaced everything he could. Turns out that he unplugged the charge bulb, and the check engine light bulb in the dash because they bugged him....well, as it turns out the charging system somehow needed that bulb in to complete the whole circuit. Like I said, this may not pertain to you at all...but you never know.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:44 PM
The know it all's know it all

Originally Posted by 78TA
I know this is a lsx site, and i've posted in dodge forums with no luck.......seems like gm guys are the only smart ones around. Anyway, I'm working on a 95 dodge 1500 5.2 5 speed 4x4.

I'm working on my budys truck that was brought to me because of a battery draining issue. I charged the battery and tried to start it to move it so I could begin to diagnos the drain and it wouldn't start. It was drove to my house the night before. It has since held a charge and cranks over fine, just won't start. It doesn't have spark or fuel.

I checked and swapped both fuel and asd relays and they are fine. I can jump power to fuel pump at the relay and get the pump to run. It gets power to both relays in constant 12 volt and key on hot terminals it just seems as though the computer isn't completing the circut. I have checked all fuses and they seem good.

anybody have any ideas where to look next?

Tomorrow I'm gonna double check everything. It seems to me that it should be a fuse or relay, but I can't find anything wrong. Are their fuseable links anywhere that would control these? I didn't see any.

I just found out I don't have a check engine light when key is on..........maybe pcm? fuse is good, and has power. Anyone have pinouts for this computer so I can see if it has juice?

thanks
Sounds like a fualty ignition switch. Next time when it acts up rig up a test light to detect the PCM turn on signal from the Ignition to make sure its powering it up. Could be other issues but i have seen those switchs go bad.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Teching In

If you still have the original key and it's a thin black head, it does NOT have a PATS/VATS setup. IF you had a thick brown or tan head, then you would have a anti-theft setup.

Since the battery is holding a charge now, I would suspect a dead PCM. It isn't that uncommon in DCX brands to have a PCM short out with a or from a discharged battery situation. The internal hardware is fragile to voltage spikes. Also don't even bother with a used computer, you will end up with more drivability headaches in the end. Get the "blank" reman PCM from Mopar and have a tech program it with the DRBIII. Much easier.

Brian
Old 12-08-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

the crankshaft position sensor. its on the passenger side behind the block. a automatic one costs 50 bucks at napa.

you welcome
Old 12-08-2006, 04:03 PM
Teching In

I know an assload about Dodges....

The problems your having are related to one of two things....a bad ECU (computer) or a bad coil. Those are the only things on our trucks rather than a low power battery that would cause that to happen. You and your friend should try to find someone local to you with a truck like his and see if you can borrow the ECU....plug it into yours and see if she will start.

If your not getting spark or fuel....Id replace the disturbutor cap and rotor, get new wires, and some autolights 2924 plugs...i dont know his matience scuedule...buts its a cheap way to make sure you have spark...

I dont know of to many peoples fuel pumps going out on them,....DC was so nice as to put the damn things in the tank so changing them is a bitch...!!!

Good luck though...if you need anymore help, pm me!
Old 12-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1st:Get a scanner. Hook it up. Data? If so crank. RPM signal?
2nd: Obtain pertinent data to diag. I think Autozone gives away ALLDATA. So you can get professional level info.
Cant really know anything without some real info. You can guess all you want, its just not productive.
PS If it looses data, or the scanner goes blank as you crank, the battery's bad.
I've seen cars that would crank fast enuff to start, but wouldn't start because of the drain on the rest of the system.
PPS Because it doesnt have a check engine light would lead me to believe the ECM is bad or isnt powered up.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:05 AM
Teching In

Does anyone know the pinouts or which wires to test to see if pcm is getting power?

thanks for everyone's reply's. this is why I am GM for life

keep ideas and stuff to test coming, I am gonna try to get it fixed this weekend.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Teching In

"the crankshaft position sensor. its on the passenger side behind the block. a automatic one costs 50 bucks at napa.

you welcome"

The crankshaft position sensor controls fuel pump prime? I can see that affecting ignition, but shouldn't the fuel pump still run for a couple seconds when key on and not cranking?
Old 12-09-2006, 01:00 AM
Teching In

I am gonna see if I can get the local dodge dealer to print me out the pin-outs tomorrow...........but they have been less than helpful in the past, that is why I was trying to avoid them.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:09 AM
Banned

I am gonna see if I can get the local dodge dealer to print me out the pin-outs tomorrow...........but they have been less than helpful in the past, that is why I was trying to avoid them.
If you plan on pin testing the whole system before you even scan it, thats kinda the long way around...
Like I said before. Autozone has ALLDATA and for a small fee, or even for free, they can print you the wiring diagrams.
The first step SHOULD be to scan it. It could save tyou a bunch of time.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
If you plan on pin testing the whole system before you even scan it, thats kinda the long way around...
Like I said before. Autozone has ALLDATA and for a small fee, or even for free, they can print you the wiring diagrams.
The first step SHOULD be to scan it. It could save tyou a bunch of time.

My first step would have been to scan it if I had acess to a scan tool, I wasn't planning on testing the "whole system", I was just going to make sure the pcm was getting power just to be sure, and as a place to start.

I was talking to the guy that owns the truck today and he said something about it being a 96.....I said are you sure, he said yes, I said the sticker on the door says it is a 95, then he tells me it is a salvage title truck 96 chassis and drivetrain with a 95 body....................so I go look under the dash and there sits an obd2 aldl, so I go get my obd2 code reader and hook it up. It lights up and when you try to pull codes it just flashes FAIL.

Then I drive to local dodge stealership and they prettymutch just told me the only thing they can do for me is hook truck up to their computer for $60 and go from there. They would not look up anything or print me out anything........what a bunch of *** clowns. I buy all oem mopar parts I need through this dealership because of its close to home.....not anymore. I understand their just trying to run a business and make money, But I have had other GM dealerships pretty mutch jump through hoops for me, this summer I rebuilt a 6 speed and needed a special puller to remove 5/6 gear and when I asked about the tool they went and got it for me and handed it to me and said you break it you buy it, bring it back tomorrow....didn't charge me a thing. And I will be their customer for life because of that.

sorry for the rant

I'm gonna see if autozone has alldata later today. And I'm in the process of trying to get a guy with a snap on scan tool to come and hook it up.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by Ranger50
The internal hardware is fragile to voltage spikes. Also don't even bother with a used computer, you will end up with more drivability headaches in the end. Get the "blank" reman PCM from Mopar and have a tech program it with the DRBIII. Much easier.

Brian
I would agree that-if you cannot communicate with the computer and all the voltages are right @ the PCM, that it has failed. This might sound silly but sometimes you can smell when an electrical part has been fried. Sniff it out
Just for grins, do you have any injector pulse?
Old 12-09-2006, 11:42 AM
Teching In

ALLDATA is $25 for 1 vehicle for a year, and $15 to add aditional vehicles. This not being my truck I don't want to waste the money on it. If this was my own vehicle I would buy it, but its not and I'm working on this for a friend and for free so I would like to have as little in this as possible.

Also don't even bother with a used computer, you will end up with more drivability headaches in the end. Get the "blank" reman PCM from Mopar and have a tech program it with the DRBIII. Much easier.
And as far as a new pcm from dodge, they quoted me $900 and change......so I don't wanna go that rought yet.....
Old 12-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Teching In

$900!?!?!?

They quoted you a dunwannaf-withit price. The PCM is maybe $500 and ONE hour of labor to program it. I have done too many of these swaps werking for various DCX dealerships.

Brian
Old 12-10-2006, 07:49 AM
Banned

ALLDATA is $25 for 1 vehicle for a year, and $15 to add aditional vehicles. This not being my truck I don't want to waste the money on it. If this was my own vehicle I would buy it, but its not and I'm working on this for a friend and for free so I would like to have as little in this as possible.
Your friend needs to step up.You cant diagnose a car, or truck for that matter without the proper equipment AND info. Heck, I would spend 25$ to make my job easier. That 25$ will look like chump change if you replace 1 unneeded part, especially an ECM.

And as far as a new pcm from dodge, they quoted me $900 and change......so I don't wanna go that rought yet.....
Those ECMs are available aftermarket for a FRACTION of that price. I would bet you could get on in STANDARD (name brand) for under 300$.
BTW, why doesnt he take it to a shop?
Old 12-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Your friend needs to step up.You cant diagnose a car, or truck for that matter without the proper equipment AND info. Heck, I would spend 25$ to make my job easier. That 25$ will look like chump change if you replace 1 unneeded part, especially an ECM.

Those ECMs are available aftermarket for a FRACTION of that price. I would bet you could get on in STANDARD (name brand) for under 300$.
BTW, why doesnt he take it to a shop?

I'll have to check into STANDARD, do you know off hand where to get them?
He doesn't want to take it to a shop because he is a cheap bastard.

The whole reason I was asking about pcm pinouts on here was to hopefully get lucky and someone on here have acess to the diagrams for free and maybe send me a copy or tell me the info I need. I don't see anything wrong with trying to get some free help on here, do you? I can and will fix this for him, it just might take me some time to track down diagrams and a someone with a good scanner. This is not his daily driver and quite frankly the truck prob is'nt even worth $1500, its a nasty rusty worn out work truck that he would be retarded to take it to dealership and end up having $1000 in parts and labor in it. Why would he do that when he can get his friend (me) to fix it for free and all he owe me is a favor or some beers?

Thanks for all your help
Old 12-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Banned

I'll have to check into STANDARD, do you know off hand where to get them?
He doesn't want to take it to a shop because he is a cheap bastard.

The whole reason I was asking about pcm pinouts on here was to hopefully get lucky and someone on here have acess to the diagrams for free and maybe send me a copy or tell me the info I need. I don't see anything wrong with trying to get some free help on here, do you? I can and will fix this for him, it just might take me some time to track down diagrams and a someone with a good scanner. This is not his daily driver and quite frankly the truck prob is'nt even worth $1500, its a nasty rusty worn out work truck that he would be retarded to take it to dealership and end up having $1000 in parts and labor in it. Why would he do that when he can get his friend (me) to fix it for free and all he owe me is a favor or some beers?

Thanks for all your help
I understand completely. But, at some point you need to figure what your time is worth, and does paying for something like wiring diagrams save you more time, and does the cost versus time spent make it logical. Yes it would be nice if someone here gave the diagrams to you.
Standard can be found at alot of the parts stores around here (VA). They are a national brand, you shouldnt have any trouble finding them.

Search this Thread