PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with the SES and Timing...

Old 01-16-2007, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with the SES and Timing...

First off, I apologize if this is in the incorrect place to post.

I have a rather annoying problem that is getting the better part of me, and the timing of my car. I keep throwing my Service Engine Soon light, which in turn is killing my car slowly and I have exhausted my minimal knowledge in how to fix this problem. I have connected it to a scanner and found out it was throwing 5 codes, all low volt codes to my o2 sensors. Thing is, I just had these sensors replaced.... and though a dealer no less. The dealer claims that it is an aftermarket exhaust...though it was throwing codes all along, which is the blame for the SES light to come on. Even in clearing the codes, they come back in no time. Other then having a K&N Airfilter and an SLP Loudmouth II Exhaust on the car ( cat back ) there is nothing else done to it, and as I said...I am baffled on why the codes keep on throwing the SES light especially when they are new. If anyone can shed some light on the subject, that would be great. Thanks.

- Problems
Old 01-16-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

check your wiring. make sure all of them are plugged in nice and tight. they can connect and stick together without really making a good connection.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do you know the 5 specific code #'s? They can help determine if it is an o2 sensor issue or a cat issue, etc....I know gm just released a recall for all 00+ fbodies for defective cats so who knows...that may be your issue
Old 01-16-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the Eng Sens fuse in the fuse box under the hood.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Alrightys.. I did check the fuse under the hood, and sadly that is not the problem, as the fuse is still good. I do, however, remember getting a bad/defective CAT notice and that it may be a problem in the car.... but as of the moment ( because I don't have a scanner on me.. I had a friend of a friend hook it up.. ....you all know how that goes.. >.< ) ... it specifically said on all o2 sensors "Low Volt"....and that is all that I was told. I am still rather new on this, and couldn't tell ya left from right unless I looked in the Chevy bible book that I bought at Advanced Auto.... as I said.. I called the dealer and all they want to do is blame things left and right on the SLP Exhaust and more then likely will not replace any work done. I go there tomorrow to raise hell. Does anyone else have a problem like this, because I wanted to start working on the car soon, putting a stall converter in and getting slicks and ect, ...though if it wants to pull timing and give me a boatload of problems....I am gonna leave it as is.. * sighs shaking his head *

- Problems
Old 01-16-2007, 04:48 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by foff667
do you know the 5 specific code #'s? They can help determine if it is an o2 sensor issue or a cat issue, etc....I know gm just released a recall for all 00+ fbodies for defective cats so who knows...that may be your issue
Agreed. The codes would be important to know. If they are the low voltage ones assoicated with each sensor, you should see: P0131 (B1S1), P0137 (B1S2), P0151 (B2S1), and P0157 (B2S2).

Seems odd that all 4 sensors would have low voltage codes. Have you noticed any other electrical problems? It sounds like you don't have a scanner yourself. I provide diagnostic links to each of the errors above in case you can get access to one. It would probably be good to know the 5th code as well.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Alrightys.. well I took her to the dealer, and I found it was codes P0131 and P0151, ....and some other code which was from before.. though all were Low Volt codes, when running at Higher RPM ( around 108mph .... - The Track ), in which they also said it was mainly due to the higher air and starving the engine as it wasn't getting enough fuel, since it is wide open throttle at that point. One of the Mechanics said that it was unable to tune it self which is why it might give it low volt codes. Sooo, they said there was nothing that they can replace that would fix the problem, ...which leads me back to where I started... what the hell to do. They say I am starving the engine wide open throttle and reguardless if I punch it even rolling down the road, the codes throw the SES light and throw timing. I need a wide band in my opinion to see what my engine is doing... but is there a way that I can stop the codes from coming round.. ( other then not gettin' it.....because if that is the case.. I should go out and get a caviler... ) Thanks again..

- Problems
Old 01-17-2007, 01:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

read the two code descriptions John posted...they run you through the steps you or your dealer should go through...I assume your running the stock manifolds/cats?
Old 01-18-2007, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Yes, I am running stock Cats and Manifolds. The only thing that is done with the car is a
K&N Airfilter and a SLP Cat back Exhaust
...and at Higher limits or RPM, I am "supposedly" starving the engine as per the dealer for fuel. Is there a quick an easy solution that I can get a little more fuel into the block so that it doesn't set off the SES light? I am not trying to dump a massive amount in.. just a bit more so that it will not lean out. I have a few friends that work at local mechanics that say that I can put in a new Fuel regulator.. though I am not sure if the car has it or if I need to get a pump and injectors. I do have goals for the car to have it past 400+ horse, but I am more worried in getting this simple thing out of the way first. foff, I am near Atlantic City and was also wondering if you know a place that has a dyno and will tune for a decent amount.....because all I hear round here is philly dyno...and I am a bit lost in that feild. Thanks again..

- Problems

Last edited by Problems74; 01-18-2007 at 09:35 AM.

Search this Thread