Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did everyone learn to tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 02:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wait4me
The real time pcm is only $499 not $800.
So this $489 includes the $199 roadrunner license as well or is that a "little add on" as we know these little add on's add up quickly
Old 07-02-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems a commonality between posts is that you should have a good fundamental knowledge of the workings within the PCM and it's interaction with the sensors. I'm looking to learn to tune the LS1 and want to start at the beginning.
Are there any good references to the inner workings of the LS1 PCM? I've been reading through the Holden LS1 reference located at http://carprogrammer.com/Z28/PCM/LS1/Holden_LS1.pdf but feel that it's a little more technical to start out with. I'd prefer something a little more general if possible.
Those of you who say to start with learning the PCM, could you post where I could find the material that you started out with?

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhino
It seems a commonality between posts is that you should have a good fundamental knowledge of the workings within the PCM and it's interaction with the sensors. I'm looking to learn to tune the LS1 and want to start at the beginning.
Are there any good references to the inner workings of the LS1 PCM? I've been reading through the Holden LS1 reference located at http://carprogrammer.com/Z28/PCM/LS1/Holden_LS1.pdf but feel that it's a little more technical to start out with. I'd prefer something a little more general if possible.
Those of you who say to start with learning the PCM, could you post where I could find the material that you started out with?

Thanks!

Old 07-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Im not a tuner yet and not even a beginner tuner but I seem to be on the same path that you are. Which is to gather mass amounts of info and a willingness to learn. I have just a finished an extremely good book on the basics of tunning. Its called Building and Tuning High Performance Electronic Fuel Injection by Ben Strader. I paid 12.89 for it at amazon. I would highly recommend it to you. It covers everything about sensors, their function, their inputs and outputs. It talks about ignition controllers and the ignition system. The book gives basic guidelines for tunning with natural, boost, big bore, high compression, etc. type engines. It also covers about 10 different aftermarket systems including their pros and cons. If you are looking for a book specifically on ls1 pcms this isnt it. There is a small portion on stock computers but mostly aftermarket. Hope this helps. I wouldn't have posted unless I felt strongly about it.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

You guys should download the EFI Live software to look at (and a stock tune or two from holdencrazy.com) while looking over the tutorials and write-ups. It doesn't cost anything to look at. The descriptions for each table usually have links to other tables they work with. It's a great way to put a visualization to the text.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
You guys should download the EFI Live software to look at...
It's a great way to put a visualization to the text.
This is an excellent suggestion, and something that I'm currently doing. The only problem I have with this approach is that I can walk through the tutorials and edit everything, although have no knowledge as to why something is getting changed a certain way. I'd like to be able to attain the knowledge required through first hand research rather than report my findings and wait for an answer to what should be changed.
Re-reading through many of these posts it seems like the best path to approach this from is to research a "dumbed down" EFI setup such as the the Fox body mustangs and work my way up from there.

I guess I'm looking for the text to put to my visualization . I'm looking for reading material more geared toward EFI theory rather than down and dirty technical. If anybody could post a link I'd greatly appreciate it.

EDIT: PadreSmith, thanks for posting info on the book. I'll definitely have to check it out.

Last edited by Rhino; 07-02-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You can get some info on PCM operation by reading the DTC descriptions/diagnostics on sites like www.ls2.com and www.gearchatter.com.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've purchased my first F-body, it's 98' LS1 manual. Do EFI Live and HP Tuners support this year? Do they offer real-time tuning, or "EPROM style" - log data, change smth., upload the whole bin, then do the run again?
Old 07-21-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Under "real-time" I understand the following - on a map I constantly see which cell is being read, I can adjust the value with +/- keys, and it's instantly uploaded to ECU. That's the way it works on my Nissan Silvia
Old 07-22-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EFILive has free unlimited 98 tuning with thier cables. Both softwares support 98s.

Both have real time programming options available.

Both have scan tools.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by foff667
So this $489 includes the $199 roadrunner license as well or is that a "little add on" as we know these little add on's add up quickly
I'm sure you do. HPT is full of "little add on's"

Last edited by TAQuickness; 07-22-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

What do I need from EFI Live to real-time tune my 98' LS1?
FlashScan V1 = $550
What else? What is "Roadrunner"?
Old 07-23-2007, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Road Runner is a Complete emulation for ls1 based vehicles. It is Very fast, Gives you ALL tables to change on the fly, Read in 7 seconds, flash in 2 seconds, Full flash in about 6 seconds, Wireless via bluetooth. Ect.. It only works with efilive and Tunercat.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Doesn't it require also RoadRunner PCM (another ~$600) ?

It appears to me that to have normal real-time tuning solution we are looking at $1300 minimum Is it so?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

If you choose to do the roadrunner route, it would be 500 + 250 for the scan tool of efilive + 200 for roadrunner license.

A roadrunner is not needed for most people. Unless you just like to learn or tune alot of cars ect..
Old 07-23-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you choose to do the roadrunner route, it would be 500 + 250 for the scan tool of efilive + 200 for roadrunner license.
250 for the scan tool - isn't it included in FlashScan V1 (first $500)?

A roadrunner is not needed for most people. Unless you just like to learn or tune alot of cars ect..
So what is what most people use?
Sorry for asking so many questions, it's almost impossible to get clear picture of what is needed to tune the car
Old 07-23-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

The scan tool would work as a full flashing software with the roadrunner, so it is just a cheaper route if going with a roadrunner.

You dont have to just buy the scan tool if you dont want to. You can buy the full v1 tuning kit.

The scan tool has what are called bi-directional controls which means you can command timing on the fly and change fuel commanded on the fly also without a roadrunner. But you would need to stop the vehicle and shut off the car and set up and modify the tune with what you saw it needed.

You can call us durring biz hours and i would be more than happy to talk with you and explain anything you would ask. It isnt really as complicated as all our posts sound.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's night here when you have biz hours, not very convenient
What was the $500 you quoted in post #75 - wasnt't it for FlashScan V1?
Please explain a bit further on the scan tool... If I have RoadRunner PCM, then Scan tool ($250) is sufficient to make updates on-the-fly, with engine running?
If using Scan tool without Roadrunner, I can make changes to all maps (or just fuel and timing?), but have to shutdown the engine for every change?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Banned

Picked up EFILive from Jesse (Wait4Me) , read a little , asked questions , flashed a COS in PCM and said here I go . Already had a W4M tune so built off it . Forgot to call Jesse and ask question , oh well sure he didn't mind .
Still learning and will for some time to come .
Old 07-25-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do I understand it right, that with HP Tuner or EFILive to change something, you have to stop the engine and upload the whole image (~1 minute) ?

Quick Reply: How did everyone learn to tune?