Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So my converter isnt staying locked....

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 04:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by farmdawg
So what did you figure out? I've got a Fuddle 3400 TC that by the sounds of what you listed I've got the same problem. My shifts from 1-2 and then from 2-3 are, depending upon throttle position, extremely firm; like the whole car lurches or I hear a loud clunk. I had it dyno'd and it would'nt stay in third for the run it kept shifting into 4th at WOT.
interesting...im not sure what that might be, but you said the shifts are firm making me think line pressure is too high for your liking or something. Also the car shifting into fourth on the dyno is easily fixed with the VCM controls on hptuners....any shop should should be able to do this.

do you have hptuenrs or have you had any tunign done??
Old 02-15-2007, 01:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been put back to stock tuning and that's when I noticed the difference after the shop re-installed the stock tune with HPT. the car was modded by the previous owner and he sold off the parts leaving a forged bottom end and a mild cam. I'm thinking that the trans isn't happy with the stock tune or the shop may not have set the trans up to cooperate very well. It started this after they had it on their dyno. The other owner told me that before he raced it he had to go into the program and manually lock the converter, so I drive it on the street and it is very loose, I don't think it locks on the street.

I don't have HPT, but my buddies locally do. I have to setup and start using EFIlive, that's what I bought to go with a big mod that' I have coming.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:31 AM
11 Second Club

with hptuners you can adjust all of your lock/unlock tables so all that can be fixed and i wouldn't be surprised if you tranny has a shift kit in it causing the firm shifts
Old 02-15-2007, 01:33 AM
Launching!

It does have a shift kit built in, it's a stage two prepped 4L60E with a trans cooler. It never shifted this harsh until the stock tune was re-installed.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:51 AM
11 Second Club

i guess it is possible that with hptuners the decreased the shift firmness to compensate for too much firmness with the shift kit...why did you have a stock tune put back on your car?
Old 02-15-2007, 06:49 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most of the tranny builders tell you that outside of changing shift-points that you need to run a stock tranny tune. Line pressure and other things can get out of hand...
Old 02-16-2007, 02:09 AM
Launching!

I had a stock tune put back in because the previous owner had de-modded the car before he sold it and the tune he installed was a cusomt stock tune that didn't perform well. It's also a base point before I add a few big mods.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:04 PM
12 Second Club

as far as it locking in third, unlocking for the shift and re-locking in fourth that is exactly what i think is happening at least that is how it seems... from all my logging the converter seem to work perfectly. But how do i make it lock in third and also make the transition to 4th gear smoothly? or is this not possible and that is why a lot of people get rid of 3rd gear lock altogether?
I removed 3rd gear lockup for this very reason. It made me a much happier person. There was no need to lockup in third, when I have 4th locking up at 35mph.