PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

More Tuning Questions!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007 | 09:33 PM
Banned

With the 110 LSA you need to set it up to idle in open loop. Do a search on HPtuners forum. The info is on there.
The starting is another issue.
Idle airflow needs to be correct. You may be opening the throttle blade enough for the IAC counts to be right, but the TPS voltage is too high, which adds more fuel, which causes it to surge. Viscous cycle. As FROST stated, the PCM will learn the new voltage as 0% closed throttle, but the voltage will bee too high, and still throw stuff off even if your scanner is reading 0% throttle opening. We still drill the throttle blades. Gets the IAC counts right, and doesnt throw off the TPS. Just my preference.
Old 03-12-2007 | 11:33 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
With the 110 LSA you need to set it up to idle in open loop. Do a search on HPtuners forum. The info is on there.
The starting is another issue.
Idle airflow needs to be correct. You may be opening the throttle blade enough for the IAC counts to be right, but the TPS voltage is too high, which adds more fuel, which causes it to surge. Viscous cycle. As FROST stated, the PCM will learn the new voltage as 0% closed throttle, but the voltage will bee too high, and still throw stuff off even if your scanner is reading 0% throttle opening. We still drill the throttle blades. Gets the IAC counts right, and doesnt throw off the TPS. Just my preference.

Hey, I was really excited to find that info on HPTuners forum a little while ago... but I haven't had a chance to try it yet, and know lots that could benefit from it. Since I'm guessing you may have done it, I have a question..

I can see the open-loop idle thing working well on a stalled auto, but how is the transition back to closed-loop at 1200 or 1400 RPMS (1200 I'd imagine) with a 6-speed car? I wonder if it would stumble or feel odd? I've read that some have an issue with it not reporting OL when it settles back down to idle (monitoring status bit) after the initial climb out... are there any gotchas there?

Sorry for bending the topic around to answer my own question guys...
Old 03-13-2007 | 07:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Frost
Hey, I was really excited to find that info on HPTuners forum a little while ago... but I haven't had a chance to try it yet, and know lots that could benefit from it. Since I'm guessing you may have done it, I have a question..

I can see the open-loop idle thing working well on a stalled auto, but how is the transition back to closed-loop at 1200 or 1400 RPMS (1200 I'd imagine) with a 6-speed car? I wonder if it would stumble or feel odd? I've read that some have an issue with it not reporting OL when it settles back down to idle (monitoring status bit) after the initial climb out... are there any gotchas there?

Sorry for bending the topic around to answer my own question guys...
I dont know about "gothchas" but yeah, sometimes it doesnt report to OL. Even on the same car, sometimes it will, sometimes it wont. With a choppin *** cam, it does make a difference, whether its OL or CL. And, (not) to give away any secrets, theres ways to make even the OBD1 cars revert to OL at idle.
As far as feeling the transition, on some cars, especially the ones that revert late, after stopping and idling, you can feel a slight change in idle. Not too bad.
Old 03-13-2007 | 08:59 PM
FormerVendor

I can understand if it doesn't revert till idle on the fall, I'm more curious as to how it feels accelerating normally from a stop. There's no stumble on an M6 (assuming spark transition is smooth and steady, etc)...?
Old 03-13-2007 | 10:20 PM
Banned

I can understand if it doesn't revert till idle on the fall, I'm more curious as to how it feels accelerating normally from a stop. There's no stumble on an M6 (assuming spark transition is smooth and steady, etc)...?
For the most part all the ones I've set up like that seem to transition back out of OL real nice. I have done a wide variety of cars this way. It is kind of a last resort. Only if you cant get em to idle cleanly. You know, no surge, idle hunt, fuel trim issues with excess 02 due to overlap.
Old 03-14-2007 | 12:47 AM
FormerVendor

Oh yeah, I agree, I want it in my pocket for the big cams with wild +trims down low.
Old 03-14-2007 | 11:00 AM
Banned

Oh yeah, I agree, I want it in my pocket for the big cams with wild +trims down low.
Yep. Them are the ones you need some "creative" techniques for....
There's several ways to get them to calm the fuel trims down. The open loop way is just one. You think ls1s are hard, try calming down a TPI speed density with 8 inches of manifold vacuum at idle. Holy shiznit!!! What a pain!! Once you figure it out though, its a "V8" moment!
Definitely a goody for the "bag o' tricks".....