Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very Dissapointed with mail order tune so far

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Dissapointed with mail order tune so far

Well just got home to find my pcm on my doorstep, I was soooo excited! Well I put the thing in and right away the car would not stay running when cold like it did with stock tuning, by the way this is a cam only car (231/237 598 595) with LT's. So I finally got it warmed up, with the car doing some weird humming thing with the idle, it goes up and down like its humming to the beat of a weird song. Well I started out the driveway and I get massive bucking, which I did not get with stock tuning except when the car was cold. I thought after the car was warmed up it might idle ok, but it still didnt, it was still revving up and down, it doesnt even sound like a cammed car, it just sounds like a fucked up car, then it died about 5 out of 10 times I stopped, which it didnt do on stock tuning, only died about 1 out of every ten times I stopped. Im not going to say who tuned it cause I havent even talked to them yet, I was just hoping for a little better outcome, I mean It drove 10 times better on stock tuning, I will give it one thing, it does have some more power once you get on it, but that is it, everything else went down hill.
So what the heck should I do, should I drill the throttle body??? Would that help. I know I could send the pcm back and have them retune it, but I really dont wanna play this game for the next 2 months, I just wanna drive my car. Will the car learn to idle better if I keep driving it? Thanks for listening!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Hope you get things worked out. I have been thinking of doing this for awhile now. I was afraid something like this would happen to me. Sorry it had to be you. Can you send it back and have them put it back stock??? Good luck.

Brandt
Old 03-31-2007, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

Perhaps if you told the world where you are, someone with HPT or EFILive would step up to plate and help you. There are lots of people that know plenty about tuning, have the tools, and would be happy to help for a Guinness or two.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:10 PM
10 Second Club

Mail order tunes are hit or miss. Contact the tuner and explain the symtoms. More than likely they will require you to remove the PCM again and send it back. Having a datalogger to record the symptoms would be perfect to help them out.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:21 PM
Teching In

Default same thing happened to me

The same exact thing happened to me. I have a 2002 Trans Am and i got a mail order tune from somewhere, and i had to replace my spark plugs. So that is something u might want to check into.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't waste your time or money on a mail order, get to a chassis dyno.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Mail order tunes are hit or miss. Contact the tuner and explain the symtoms.
I agree

I have had both positive and negative results. When I installed the cam in my car, I ordered a tune (from a vendor on this forum). I later (4 months) decided to have it dyno tuned to get a little more out of it. I took it to a well known tuner (a vendor on this forum) and after a couple of hours, he wound up with +1hp and +2tq. So the tune must have been fairly close.
After some minor mods on my wife's car, I got a mail-order tune for her car, and based on it's before and after GTECH runs, it picked up 0!! It ran exactly the same 0-60mph right down to the 100th. I sent it back and it runs a little better now.
Can't wait to hook it up to the new HP system and see what I can do to it!!