PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street vs. Dyno tuning question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 09:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Street vs. Dyno tuning question...

I need to choose between two different places around here to get my car tuned. They are both very good supposedly. One does street tuning for $275, the other does dyno tuning for $450.

I'm just wondering what kind of power/times I will be missing out on by going with the street tune? Is that as effective as being able to see on a screen what power you're making? I just don't want to go to the wrong place first, so how much of a difference in hp/tq/ET would there probably be between the two?

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

It depends on what they are doing, for both of those prices many places wont do a real good tune, you pretty much just get a WOT tune, which sucks for normal driving but is good for WOT. On the street or on a dyno diesnt really matter as long as its done right. It is easier for the tuner to do it on a dyno though and then make a few datalogs on the street to verify the tune.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

Well supposedly the street one works on a bunch of different partial throttle positions too. The street one is Chad from Green Light Motorsports. I've heard some really good things about him from guys in my car club. The other one is Speed Inc. I guess I'm just wondering if the street tune will leave any time at the 1/4 on the table that i could have had at Speed Inc.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I run a 11.76 @115mph with a street tune. I have a 02 WS6, 3500 yank, borla open, Moser 12 bolt w/373's, pully, .230/ .232 .592/ .595 113 comp cam, stock heads, all bolt-ons. It weighs in at 3752 with me in the car. Not bad for the race weight. The street tune is real world. You are going to need some open road to let her eat so you can get readings through out the power band. Tuning on the street took two days 4hrs ea. day. It cost me 250.00 I'm happy. good luck!

Last edited by pla-tym; 04-02-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Speedmonster185
Well supposedly the street one works on a bunch of different partial throttle positions too. The street one is Chad from Green Light Motorsports. I've heard some really good things about him from guys in my car club. The other one is Speed Inc. I guess I'm just wondering if the street tune will leave any time at the 1/4 on the table that i could have had at Speed Inc.
As long as the tune is done by a competent person then it doesnt matter whether its on a dyno or on the street. That said though you can get it crazy accurate on a dyno that can load the wheels such as a dyno dynamics or a mustang dyno and it can be done quickly.

I personally have had great experiences tuning on the street too, it is just way easier and faster to use a dyno.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:39 PM
FormerVendor

This is why we do both. No way to really measure the true gains with out a dyno but we massage the drivability and mannerism while street tuning. This seem to yield the best overall tune. Our dyno is also a load dyno so we can also duplicate more loads that would be seen on the street. Any good tuner will also know how to factor in adjustments after dyno tuning. We have seen that lean AFR's that make the best numbers don't make the fastest cars when at the track. To me the track is a true test of power.

As long as the tuner is using a wide band, the tune can still be well done. The dyno is real nice when tuning 600-900 RWHP cars through!
Old 04-03-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Chad from Green Light Motorsports 1
Old 04-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedmonster185
Do yourself a BIG favor...go with Chad at Greenlight. He really, really knows his ****.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

Well thats good, because thats where I wanted to go anyway . I emailed him and he was very nice. Told me he would do something extra that normally i would have to come back later and be charged $50 for, but at the same time as everything else so it's free. They are having an April special right now too, $250 .