PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: buy software or have it tuned?
buy HPtuners and try it myself
78.38%
have a shop tune it
21.62%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

buy HPtuners or have it tuned

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look into doing it yourself,I was nervous trying it myself but once i got the software it was much easier then i expected.Of course i did a lot of reading and what not and def learned a crap load of stuff doing it.Out of all the money i have spent on my car,The tuning equipment was by far the best 750 bucks i have spent on it.And i had more fun learning how to do it and driving around seeing how things reacted to my changes.And by the way i am not a computer literate person,if you start talking about bits and bytes then you lost me.The equipment today is very user friendly and just gets better.And you can tune it anytime you want,and after any future changes you make.In my opinion its a no brainer.The only way i could see having a shop do it is if you just dont have the time to put in to learning it yourself.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did both. Ask alot of questions on HPT forum. It's not easy to get right. Just go slow and read read read
Old 06-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Teching In

I had this same decision to make just a few weeks ago. My ls1 conversion was up and running - but like crap when cold. Went with HPTuners (without wideband). Within a couple of days of receiving HPTuners, I determined the old pcm tune was for 48# injectors (I had stock 26#, used separate motor, tranny, pcm...). After comparing my existing tune to a few stock tunes (repository available on the web site), changed several tables and now it runs great.

I suspect you could find a similar tune to your config on the web site also, compare to your tune, and get running a lot better (maybe not tuned as well as an experienced pro, but get rid of issues you are having). And then you could mail order pro level tunes if desired (and by comparing get to see what they change).

The scanner feature is also fantastic - allows you to log data and see what is happening during the drive and analyze after the drive. Charts and gauges show a lot of parameters, rpm, inlet air temp, coolant temp, speed, O2 data, injector data, advance, knock data, diagnostic codes, etc.

I was glad I made the decision I did - I was afraid it would be to difficult for me to tune it myself, but the bin repository makes it easy IMHO. Plus, I didn't even have a code scanner so would have had to spend at least $100 for bare bones code scanner, one local tuner wanted $400 for a one time tune - $500 is what HPTuners cost me, plus I still have credits to do 3 more vehicles, can log data and really begin to understand how things work.