PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

accessory drain..

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007 | 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default accessory drain..

Where in HP Tuners should we account for accessory drain on the engine, specifically the alternator?

I have a surging idle and it is definitely magnified when the lights are on or even the laptop plugged in. I made the changes for the fans when they turn on but is there anywhere to account for the constantly changing load on the alternator?
Old 04-21-2007 | 01:40 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

How old is the batt? If it is lead acid and >2years then I would not rule out it's material condition. If it is a absorbant glass matt=optima then I would do a parasitic load test on the electrical system to see if any of your various aftermarket electronics is not somewhat shorted in some way causing a constant drain on the battery, i.e. chaffed wire causing a intermittant short.
Old 04-21-2007 | 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Doc
How old is the batt? If it is lead acid and >2years then I would not rule out it's material condition. If it is a absorbant glass matt=optima then I would do a parasitic load test on the electrical system to see if any of your various aftermarket electronics is not somewhat shorted in some way causing a constant drain on the battery, i.e. chaffed wire causing a intermittant short.
Original battery but always get the battery tender during the winters. I guess I can have it tested but I don't really have any crazy accessories. No system or anything, I just noticed my idle got much worse last night having the head lights on. Also today I stopped using the computer to log with tuners and the idle was better. Just looking for ideas.