PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

HELP! Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007 | 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Default HELP! Check engine light

Hey guys,
I could use some help. I just bought a car (think i got screwed) and the check engine light came on. I was thinking of buying a regular scanner (not sure what to buy anyways) but was thinking maybe i should go with something like ls1 edit or hp tuners. I know this will help me down the line but will it be able to read my engine codes? What is the best place to buy and what program do you reccomend. I already have a nice lap top if the program requires it.

Thanks,

Ben

edit... sorry if this is a noob tech question just figured i should post it in a computer specific forum.

Last edited by bengeeee; 04-21-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2007 | 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

If you have a laptop, you could get HP Tuners or EFILive.
I use HP Tuners, and very happy with it. They will both do what you want to do.

The check engine light can come on even with a loose gas cap.

Isn't there a local place you can go to get a scan, is it Autozone or something? I'm not sure as not in your country, but have heard it mentioned before about free scans.

edit... not a newb question, every one starts somewhere

Last edited by RedWS6 00; 04-21-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-21-2007 | 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yep, auto zone will read codes free - just post the code, don't worry about the description.
Old 04-21-2007 | 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Yep, auto zone will read codes free - just post the code, don't worry about the description.
Unfortunately the car is not street worthy yet. I bought it as a project and it wont be drivable untill i finish the front end and get some seats.

-Ben
Old 04-21-2007 | 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help guys. So just to clarify i will be able to read and clear codes? Is the software complicated? Haven't done any true computer tuning before although i do know my way around a motor.

-Ben
Old 04-21-2007 | 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you don't know anyone with a scanner/code reader harbor frieght sells a cheap OBDII reader...seen them on sale for $40. Edit: Posted at the same time - yes, you'll be able to read/clear codes with those.
Old 04-21-2007 | 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
If you don't know anyone with a scanner/code reader harbor frieght sells a cheap OBDII reader...seen them on sale for $40.
can i clear codes with this and the others or just read codes?

-Ben
Old 04-21-2007 | 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

The cheap reader from harbor freight will only read/clear current codes - won't turn them off permanently. See if your local store will let you borrow a scanner - some let you do that as long as you leave a deposit.
Old 04-21-2007 | 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

If you were to go the HPTuners or EFI Live route there is always this forum to get you started, HP Tuners have thier own forum and I expect EFI Live will do too.

HP tuners and EFI Live will read and delete code, and you can stop those particular codes ever coming up again if you wanted. Like if you removed your rear O2 sensors, you can get the PCM to not report an error for that.

I learned about tuning from this forum. It can take a bit of time. If you were to do future mods that would need a tune then you could pay someone who may lock your PCM to only them to make future mods, or you could have total control yourself if you wanted to.

I guess it depends how much time you want to put into tuning, how much you want to spend, and plans of future modifications.
Old 04-21-2007 | 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice. I think i'll go that route.

BTW, when the motor starts up the change oil light stays on for about 45 seconds and then goes off. Do you think that the service engine soon light is referring to the oil change?

Thanks,

Ben

Originally Posted by RedWS6 00
If you were to go the HPTuners or EFI Live route there is always this forum to get you started, HP Tuners have thier own forum and I expect EFI Live will do too.

HP tuners and EFI Live will read and delete code, and you can stop those particular codes ever coming up again if you wanted. Like if you removed your rear O2 sensors, you can get the PCM to not report an error for that.

I learned about tuning from this forum. It can take a bit of time. If you were to do future mods that would need a tune then you could pay someone who may lock your PCM to only them to make future mods, or you could have total control yourself if you wanted to.

I guess it depends how much time you want to put into tuning, how much you want to spend, and plans of future modifications.
Old 04-21-2007 | 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

They're two different systems - to reset the oil change light turn the key to RUN, don't start car - depress gas pedal 3 times.
Old 04-22-2007 | 02:05 AM
TECH Resident

Change oil light can also be reset by turning the key to run position and pressing the button on your dash labeled 'TRIP/OIL reset' for about 10 seconds.

The light comes on every 3000 to 5000 miles approx, depends on how hard to drive your car.