Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default those of you that usd LS1_edit but now use HP Tuners

why?

is it just the user friendly interface?

or is it the forums and .bin archive?

I am well versed in LS1_edit and have no problem tuning with it. But I keep reading all the buzz about HP tuners lately and its got me thinking about switching over to HP Tuners.

What do you guys that used them both think?
Old 04-22-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

much more friendly interface, excellent scanner built into the sutie (the ls1edit scanner is a joke... it's been the same version since december 05 lol)

Many more vehicles to choose from, no need to send cable back in for more licenses,

Biggest thing for me though was the scanner and tuner software integration... so much easier to tune than using LS1 Edit and Autotap...

Also HPT offers custom Operating systems which LS1 Edit does not (and one of the custom operating systems supports Real Time Tuning on a stock PCM w/no additional hardware for many of the LS1 based vehicles)
Old 04-22-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I started out with LS1 Edit since that was the only choice but once HP Tuners came out, I was hooked and never turned back. I've been with HPT ever since the begin and they never seem to amaze me. They have got to be the most friendly bunch of car guys around. HPT scanner IMHO is the best there is hands down and once the "Autotune" feature comes out, it will be over for most other tuning suites.

Basically, you can beat around the bush with other tuning packages to "kinda" get the job done or just do it the right way and upgrade to HP Tuners!

For more info, check this out: http://www.hptuners.com/products/vcmsuite.php
Old 04-22-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

scanner scanner scanner. i cannot possibly explain enough why knowing why, what and how to make decisions is zillion times more important than making the change itself. the editor is a formality, you punch some numbers, save, flash--no big deal.

scanner is where the magic happens. thanks to the ODB-2 inteface, we can all request the same type and amount of data out of the pcm, but it's how you interpret it that's the important part. looking at 30000 rows of data in Excel doesn't get you much insight. looking at, let's say cylinder air grouped up and averaged by rpm and map, and then filtered only for a particular gear and throttle input gives you a much more organized (read: useful) information.

Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
(Frank Zappa)

and my own additions would be:
Data is not information.
Truth is not insight.

data loggers (which what Autotap and the like are) are data into information translators.
scanners (HPT and EFILive's Flashscan) convert information into information into knowledge. you can see you get knock around peak torque, but filter around to see it only happens in 4th and higher gears, and you have knowledge.

this is unfortunately where tools end helping us. to convert knowledge into wisdom, then truth, then insight, that's just you. however, you have a very slim chance of ever getting there if you don't jump over the first two steps. these are also the boring and time consuming transformations, so they're perfect to be done by programs.

the good part is that if you know how to gather good data (most people don't know that, something barely anybody ever talks about), and once you learn the scanner so you're very comfortable to ask new and not trivial questions, you will learn how to leverage these tools to help you convert knowledge to higher levels of understanding.

if you want examples of how flexible the tools we have to our disposal are, take a look at my sig, some articles in there demo the crazy **** we sometimes need to request of our software to really get at the root cause of some problem (boost perspective and VE-IFR transformation are prolly best). I use both HPT and EFILive, so you can see both of them in action. or best yet, just get yourself a demo of EFILive (HPT has no demo), download some EFI logs from forums, and you'll see for yourself, and understand just how informative these scanner tools can be.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:23 PM
Launching!

I wanted to ask as well, not to hijack your thread Tripintaz, will HPTuners allow you to bypass or change traction control settings?
Old 04-23-2007, 08:19 PM
Launching!

does hp tuners also have all of the options as the LS1 edit suite including but not limited to the hardware dignostics?
Old 04-23-2007, 09:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fil131
does hp tuners also have all of the options as the LS1 edit suite including but not limited to the hardware dignostics?
We just bring to the table sooooo much more then LS1edit.

Price
Scanner functionality
1/2/3 bar custom operating systems
Real Time Tuning free with most of our custom operating systems.
Standalone datalogging
recording of inputs/outputs right into our scanner program
Ford support in Beta
Dodge support in development
read/write times
etc.

Here's a list of just some of our features
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2936

-Bill
Old 04-24-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fil131
I wanted to ask as well, not to hijack your thread Tripintaz, will HPTuners allow you to bypass or change traction control settings?
I was able to desensitize the traction control on my 2001 ZO6 using Hp Tuners. Now the tires still spin a bit at wot using the traction control, works very well!

The F-Body cars traction control works with the BCM, so I don't see the tables in Hp Tuners.

Russ Kemp
Old 04-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Russ,

What tables did you tweak to change your traction control settings on you Z06?

David
Old 05-05-2007, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

i just bought the HP Tuners Suite, so now I have both. I figure ill end up using only HP Tuners and sell my LS1_edit
Old 05-05-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by David Borden
Russ,

What tables did you tweak to change your traction control settings on you Z06?

David
I raised the ETC TPS MAX table & removed 6* of spark from the Retard vs. RPM table. The 2000 & down Corvette ETC TPS MAX table is zeroed. On these cars, I believe retard the spark & cut out fuel injectors when the traction control is active. The ETC Injector table on the 2000 Corvette is more aggressive, so I would first scan the car with the traction control on to see if the TPS is staying at 100%, if it is, I would try changing the ETC Injector & spark retard tables.

Russ Kemp