Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should i get a handheld?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should i get a handheld?

Alright, so i've got some codes to delete, correct for tire size and would like to firm up my shift points. However, i will be running a dry 100 shot so i won't want my timing advanced when im spraying.

My question is could i pick and choose between some of the handhelds features while not affecting the actual tune of my motor? I.E firm up my shift points, fan adjustment etc. while not changing the actual tune of the motor?

I was planning on finding a handheld in the parts for sale department.

Or is there a more efficient route?
Old 05-06-2007, 10:47 PM
10 Second Club

the vinci handheld will allow you to make those adjustments and not affect the stock tune. here's a write up i did on the tuner
http://www.stealthram.com/vhptuner.htm
Old 05-06-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

get a custom tune. not a handheld
Old 05-07-2007, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hell no! Pay a bit more and get a real tuning package. But if you really want one, I have a Predator with the upgraded so???are I'd sell for a reasonable price.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My problem with the handheld is that you don't really have much option on the details of the reflash you install. So, to modify the shift points and shift firmness, you can only select to "run performance mode" or something like that. With a full tuning package, you can actually determine each detail yourself, and make it do just what you want.

I had a Vinci tuner, which was quite a nice tuner. However, I did not like the transmission recalibration. Not being able to modify their tune, I was stuck and had to put it back to stock settings. Otherwise, for clearing codes, tire size, gear ratio...... it was really good.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:51 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Formulated: Have you checked out the Predator lately? They've come a LONG way! And while a full blown custom tune is still preferred, you can adjust alot of parameters with this handheld! It's no longer just a "Pick What Octane".."What gear ratio"...etc tuner anymore!

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 05-07-2007, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

does diablo offer a predator for the 1998 cars?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:30 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slow
i cant find any tuners new or used for a 98 anywhere.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

No way, go with a custom tune.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:45 AM
11 Second Club

whats the going rate for a custom tune?
Old 05-07-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by its turbo time
Alright, so i've got some codes to delete, correct for tire size and would like to firm up my shift points. However, i will be running a dry 100 shot so i won't want my timing advanced when im spraying.

My question is could i pick and choose between some of the handhelds features while not affecting the actual tune of my motor? I.E firm up my shift points, fan adjustment etc. while not changing the actual tune of the motor?

I was planning on finding a handheld in the parts for sale department.

Or is there a more efficient route?
The Predator will allow you to modify the Performance tune or the factory tune, so yes, you can change shift points and fan settings while not affecting the 'tune'.
Look into a new unit so you can take advantage of the warranty on the product...
Old 05-07-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slow
No, the 98 models are unsupported as they used a slightly different PCM.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

^i figured

I just went with a pcmforless tune
Old 05-07-2007, 04:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Formulated
I had a Vinci tuner, which was quite a nice tuner. However, I did not like the transmission recalibration. Not being able to modify their tune, I was stuck and had to put it back to stock settings.
what part of the tune could you not modify? are youy refering to the trans shifting? you can modify the timing and power enrichment with the tuner. you can do that with any of the tunes in the tuner.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Matt @ SDPC
Formulated: Have you checked out the Predator lately? They've come a LONG way! And while a full blown custom tune is still preferred, you can adjust alot of parameters with this handheld! It's no longer just a "Pick What Octane".."What gear ratio"...etc tuner anymore!
I sold the Vinci tuner and bought EFI Live V2. Now I have all of the flexibility in the world. EFI Live is definately a more complete package, but it's also about twice the price of a handheld by the time you get everything working. There's no doubt that the value is there, though.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mrr23
what part of the tune could you not modify? are youy refering to the trans shifting? you can modify the timing and power enrichment with the tuner. you can do that with any of the tunes in the tuner.
I was most frustrated by the automatic transmission calibrations. The tuner allows you to pick and choose components of the calibration to change, but beyond that you have no control over the actual modifications. I thought that the shift firmness was OK, but the performance shift points were horrible. WOT shift points were alright, but part throttle driveability was awful. There was nothing I could do other than return the shift points back to stock, no options for selecting the actual shift points or conditions.

The timing and power enrichment can be hand selected. I thought it was awkward modifying timing by a percentage, though. I usually think of fuel modifications as percentages, and timing in absolute degrees. Also, the tuner does not allow you to select where in the speed range to apply the fuel and timing modifications, it's just an across the board modifier.

What finally got to me about the tuner was that it was just too simple of a tool kit. I found myself applying tuning modifications without any idea of what I was actually putting into my car. Once I had the bad experience with the transmission calibration mods, I decided I needed something else.