PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had car tuned with techron in the gas tank? Would this throw off tune w/no techron ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 06:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had car tuned with techron in the gas tank? Would this throw off tune w/no techron ?

Had the car tuned a few months back..

Car runs great for a week and then takes a dump.

Brought it back to the tuner and he said he thought it was the fuel filter being clogged.

Intermitant problem that rears its head about a week after the car is plugged into HP tuner (4 times problem came back)

The tuners a nice guy whose experienced and he said it was probably the fuel filter..

Changed out the vettes fuel filter, coolant temperature sensor, a new screened maf, did the seafoam treatment in tb and pcv hose, new GM wires and irridium plugs (by an experienced vette tech) and the cars still not running right..

The plugs were white. Tech said it was running too lean? I thought maybe it was from running the car with the pcv disconnected so I could seafoam the car. Also pulled intake manifold to double check no leaks and used new gaskets..(all work done by experienced vette tech)

Could it be because it was originally tuned with a bottle of techron in the gas tank and without it the property of the gasoline is different?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't see a bottle of techron in the tank making a big difference on the tune.
That is, unless your tank was very low when you added it.
You would have seen a difference in how the car drove right after your next fill-up.
It might be worth checking to see if you have a bad tank of gas.
I have seen a real problem with smaller gas stations in my area dumping water in the
tanks to keep their profits high, and the gas quality low.
I would hope that you get your fuel from Mobil, or similar high quality station.
The plugs will typically be white when running today's oxygenated unleaded fuels.
Whay AFR is being displayed in HPT during scanning when the car is running poorly?
Old 05-08-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camarols1
I have seen a real problem with smaller gas stations in my area dumping water in the
tanks to keep their profits high, and the gas quality low.
This does NOT happen. Water will NOT mix with gas. A small amount of water in fuel is enough to make the engine not run.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:33 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by kbracing96
This does NOT happen. Water will NOT mix with gas. A small amount of water in fuel is enough to make the engine not run.
It does when it's tossed in with alcohol or another agent that allows them to bond...
Old 05-08-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Frost
It does when it's tossed in with alcohol or another agent that allows them to bond...
Old 05-08-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think and the key would is think I found the issue..

Its not the gas...its the small metal tube running out near the drivers side header..It was touching the number seven spark plug wire and it must have been causing trouble..

I double clicked on the front 6 spark plug wires to the coil. Slapped on a set of kool sox and made sure I moved that metal tube coming past the number 7 spark plug wire and low and behold the cars never run better..

I had bought a heat gun and it showed me that tube is running as hot as the headers..If I didn't want the spark plug wires touching the headers I figured why would I want that tube touching the wire either?

Shoved it back so its about an inch away and as crazy as it sounds...the cars running good.

Hell if I know whats going on...(may have had nothing to do with it but then it seems to be working better)

Quick Reply: Had car tuned with techron in the gas tank? Would this throw off tune w/no techron ?