Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1637 Success story, thought this should be out there

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 10:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default P1637 Success story, thought this should be out there

Over the last week I've been fighting low voltages, "check gauges" light, drained battery, p1637 code...

I checked most sources of the problem that the search pointed me to to no avail.

-Pulled the ALT and had it checked, pass
-Checked the exciter wire on top of the alt, pass
-fully replaced the POS+ wire assembly to the starter, alt and fuse box as it was corroded from the typical factory GM battery explosion, pass

Having read the exciter wire is a discrete circuit and already checked that alternator connection, I thought about where else it could fail.
Then I remembered I pulled the plastic cover to the PCM to try and find an easier way to route my LC-1 wide band signal directly to the PCM instead of going through the old EGR harness.

Sure enough.. (this is the important part of the post)

On the bottom half of the PCM connector pin pack (or whatever its called) there just happened to be a little red wire that is perfectly placed to get pinched in the plastic clip that clips the cover down to the unit.
Pin #15 for you curious types. And it just so happened that in my haste to snap the cover back on, I pinched that sucker deep into the socket for the plastic tab.
Pulled it out and didn't see any bare wire, so gave it a try..

Voltage shot back up to 14~15 and "Check Gauges" light is off.
p1637 is gone. I'll be got-damned.

I posted this in general and you find some posts about it there, but I figured here would be a good place to put it, since the folks in here are more likely to be messing with the PCM and cover and could potentially do the same.

Thank god, I've got allot of new parts to install and no time to dink around with this.

Oh yeah, I also fixed a big banging issue I was having that had been giving me up to *15 of KR, today was a good day, woot.

Last edited by DirtyJohn; 05-11-2007 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:27 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Good info. I have the same code, but my voltage usually stays right around 13.4-14.4 while running, but I still have the code. I will check my pcm covers tonight.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: P1637 Success story, thought this should be out there