PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ve table stock with cam? I can't turn maf off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ve table stock with cam? I can't turn maf off.

taken from hptuners forums.. No answers yet there:

I have a 2006 TBSS. It has a cam (222/224/566/568-according to cam card), full catless exhaust, CAI, and 3400 Vig Converter. I am running open loop right now and whenever I start the car up it is a little lean at idle (15.5).. Near the middle-end of my 10-15 minute drive, as I pull into my apartment complex at low speeds it is rich (-4% afr error).. I pull into my garage and its -7%..

If I go to correct this via the MAF table I end up leaner on the startup.. Its not specific to ECT. Even though my IAT is jumpy (tonight, it was 135 on startup) and 98 on the highway... this high IAT is equal on both ends of the spectrum. From when I started up (at the gas station, lean) to when I shut it off (in garage, rich).

So, getting to the point.. When I first had my cam, I had some initial issues with startup and idle and so on.. So a tuner friend of a friend adjusted the primary ve table and cranking ve.. Decreasing the table by 60%,70%,80%,90% starting at 400 and carrying up to 1600. Cranking ve is set at 95%..

Cranking VE seems to be pretty handy in helping startup. I have increased the VE table a few percent and adapted the adjustments so that the delta between each cell is the same as stock (percentage wise). Now, I don't really like this because it really isn't calculated. Its just a shot in the dark.

Do you guys reccomend that I return the VE table back to stock and adjust my afr error % via the MAF table? The reason why I ask is that above 1600rpms, the ve table is stock and I am really not having as much problems in that area.

If not, then whats a good way to go about dialing in this ve table like a scientist, not a scientologist.. I cannot unplug my maf as it has the IAT sensor in it and setting the MAF fail high and low doesn't seem to trip anything up.

Please please please chime in on this. I've been through at least 40 revisions in the past week. :banghead:
Old 05-17-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 477 Likes on 335 Posts

That's interesting to hear, because on my '04 gto the maf would NOT fail unless I unplugged it. Setting the fail frequency to 0 or anything else just wouldn't work with it plugged in. It is the only vehicle I have had this problem with, but since my IAT is separate, it really didn't matter.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:03 AM
Staging Lane

Oh bother. I could always get some sort of "MAF extension" cable and modify it so that it only has the IAT wire connected.. therefore disconnecting the maf part. erm.. how would you make your own male to female maf IAT-only wire?
Old 05-17-2007, 06:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They make an IAT relocation kit which would serve to get the sensor away from the MAF...
Old 05-17-2007, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Caspers sells A maf breakout harness