Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to tune MAF

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 05:40 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1curious
no 100 x .70 = 30 + 100 + 130 although when dealing with precision numbers one should actually do the math correctly. However those injectors shouldn;t need that much extra time.
Wtf?? 100 x .70 = 30 + 100 + 130 .....this is NOT an equation, it's unbalanced. Work to the left and then the right of equals and get:
70 = 260
Old 06-14-2007, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did have an altered injector offset table when I tried your way. But, I highly doubt it was the culprit for the rich issue. I say that for several reasons:
1) I've seen rich-to-lean vs RPM issues (like Frost) with stock injector cars when tuning your way.
2) I've seen multiple posts here and other places claiming these injectors have an offset of roughly 0.8 miliseconds at 12V, which is roughly a 30% increase in offset over stock.
3) My changes were only a 20% increase....meaning at 14V, I added roughly 0.076 miliseconds.

Math: (0.379938)*(0.2)=0.075988ms (0.379938)+(0.075988)=0.455925ms
So, I went from a 0.0038 second offset (stock) to a 0.0046 second offset at 14V.

I did it in my SD tune too, which is working fine. It's a little rich down low because I have yet to dial in that part of the VE table. If I'm in decel, I'm into DFCO after 3 seconds. So, it's not too big of a deal. What I did notice after the change was my WOT AFR lean out a little. It wanted more fuel with the new offsets. So, I made the adjustment and my butt dyno says it's better.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wasn't putting a specific formula out there. Just giving an example of how you could work a percentage and actually be off.

Math is not my gig.

Originally Posted by Frost
Wtf?? 100 x .70 = 30 + 100 + 130 .....this is NOT an equation, it's unbalanced. Work to the left and then the right of equals and get:
70 = 260
Old 06-14-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If your tunning using the VE method with a modified OS then who knows whats happening to the PW values. I would go back to my earlier assumption that the injector size is to small for a factory cal.

You know I don't know why I do not specifically have that problem BTW. maybe something is very different in the software between your group and myself.

I had a car come to me about a week ago with the PE enable values set to zero at low TPS. I thought it was odd then i also noticed a few other odd offsets. I had to rework the Cal from scratch with a fresh GM flash. The car was tunned with LS1 edit do you think its possiable you could have a screwy or inccorect table format in the GUI ?

I am sure my memory locations are 100% correct BTW in the software I am using.

can you put the Bin file you where working with in a standard GM bin format ?

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
I did have an altered injector offset table when I tried your way. But, I highly doubt it was the culprit for the rich issue. I say that for several reasons:
1) I've seen rich-to-lean vs RPM issues (like Frost) with stock injector cars when tuning your way.
2) I've seen multiple posts here and other places claiming these injectors have an offset of roughly 0.8 miliseconds at 12V, which is roughly a 30% increase in offset over stock.
3) My changes were only a 20% increase....meaning at 14V, I added roughly 0.076 miliseconds.

Math: (0.379938)*(0.2)=0.075988ms (0.379938)+(0.075988)=0.455925ms
So, I went from a 0.0038 second offset (stock) to a 0.0046 second offset at 14V.

I did it in my SD tune too, which is working fine. It's a little rich down low because I have yet to dial in that part of the VE table. If I'm in decel, I'm into DFCO after 3 seconds. So, it's not too big of a deal. What I did notice after the change was my WOT AFR lean out a little. It wanted more fuel with the new offsets. So, I made the adjustment and my butt dyno says it's better.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

If your tunning using the VE method with a modified OS then who knows whats happening to the PW values. I would go back to my earlier assumption that the injector size is to small for a factory cal.

You know I don't know why I do not specifically have that problem BTW. maybe something is very different in the software between your group and myself.

I had a car come to me about a week ago with the PE enable values set to zero at low TPS. I thought it was odd then i also noticed a few other odd offsets. I had to rework the Cal from scratch with a fresh GM flash. The car was tunned with LS1 edit do you think its possiable you could have a screwy or inccorect table format in the GUI ?

I am sure my memory locations are 100% correct BTW in the software I am using.

can you put the Bin file you where working with in a standard GM bin format ?
Well, I started from a stock file (we have lots for EFI Live at www.holdencrazy.com) when I tackled my car (SD w/ stock OS) since the old tune was 'jacked' to say the least. If I can't change an unseen table with my software, then the person I got the stock tune from couldn't see it either. So, I know I started from scratch.

Unfortunately, we don't have the capability to save in .bin format anymore. I think that was a result of the competitive bullsh!t that lies between the software vendors. We can still read .bin files. But, we can't save our tunes as .bin files and because of this, our effective knowledge base has been divided. Too bad they (the software vendors) can't give us that functionality back...I know I'm not the only one who wants that back.

BTW, I'm not trying to call BS on you not knowing why I see the reverse of what you do. But, I can assure you that I haven't made any ludacris changes like setting my PE enable to zero at low TP%. I try to apply logical changes based on my understanding of how the tables interact. Thanks to the generous amount of description coded into EFI Live, I'm able to understand those interactions.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Send me what ya got Pm me for contact info. I should be able to import it.

Well, I started from a stock file (we have lots for EFI Live at www.holdencrazy.com) when I tackled my car (SD w/ stock OS) since the old tune was 'jacked' to say the least. If I can't change an unseen table with my software, then the person I got the stock tune from couldn't see it either. So, I know I started from scratch.
I know how that goes. No blame here,just curiosity about potential software issues.Seen it a few times.

Unfortunately, we don't have the capability to save in .bin format anymore. I think that was a result of the competitive bullsh!t that lies between the software vendors. We can still read .bin files. But, we can't save our tunes as .bin files and because of this, our effective knowledge base has been divided. Too bad they (the software vendors) can't give us that functionality back...I know I'm not the only one who wants that back.
Well then start the email campaign. My take on it is that there are already to so many vendors out there and the information can be had if you know who to talk to there is really no point in the exclsivity of software providers anymore. Plus it would be nice to be able to cross communicate.

BTW, I'm not trying to call BS on you not knowing why I see the reverse of what you do. But, I can assure you that I haven't made any ludacris changes like setting my PE enable to zero at low TP%. I try to apply logical changes based on my understanding of how the tables interact. Thanks to the generous amount of description coded into EFI Live, I'm able to understand those interactions.
Thats of course assuming that EFI live is actually correct in there understanding of the code itself. its like the VE percentage thing. not really so easy to do considering all the variables that go into the Ve table calculation. I tried for the longest time to come up with a way to resolve the VE tables to its real elemtn Grs/Sec/cyl but came up empty.however the cranking Ve table is actually in Ve pecentages. wierd eh ?

You only work with what your given and I don not fualt anyone for that. Get me a copy of the file let me have a peak at what your doing.

Last edited by LS1curious; 06-14-2007 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes the code must stay off list and be kept 100% confidential.IE do not share.
Agreed.

there is a ton of stuff to shift through. If you can be patient its honestly gonna take about 2 weeks to dig all of it out. Its sort of all over the place in bit and pieces. . Damn code writers.
Zip up the whole thing and send it... I'll like to have wide context, plus I have a source code editor that will do the "sifting" for me (in fact it relies on all the code being there).

As for the smart *** on the EFi live forums saying his Ve values were gonna be over 100%. Your gonna find out that the VE values aren't in percentages. They are Scalar Values
The software just provides various ways of displaying the table (for "convenience of the mind")...
I know Paul knows it's not in percent.

Cheers
Joe

Last edited by joecar; 06-14-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ehh the guy who was going to get the info has already been selected.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

You only work with what your given and I don not fualt anyone for that. Get me a copy of the file let me have a peak at what your doing.
Files sent...

For my attempt at your way, I was targeting an AFR of 15:1 for MAPs 20-65kPa, 14.75@70kPa, 14.5@75kPa, 14@80kPa, 13.5@85kPa, and 13:1 for 90-100kPa. For PE, I was targeting 12.6:1 across the board.

For my SD tune, what's commanded by the PCM is the target AFR and the WBO2 is within +/-2% more than 90% of the time.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can see here where this could be going wrong. Once i get a peak at the files i will know more.

Files sent...

For my attempt at your way, I was targeting an AFR of 15:1 for MAPs 20-65kPa, 14.75@70kPa, 14.5@75kPa, 14@80kPa, 13.5@85kPa, and 13:1 for 90-100kPa. For PE, I was targeting 12.6:1 across the board.

For my SD tune, what's commanded by the PCM is the target AFR and the WBO2 is within +/-2% more than 90% of the time.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

I can see here where this could be going wrong. Once i get a peak at the files i will know more.
Another thing....the data I used to make my changes (since all I had was ECT and MAP in that table) was the average AFR readings for each kPa column for RPMs greater than 2,000. Since you said most cams clean up above 2,000 RPMs, I didn't want the data to be skewed by the lower RPMs. Either way, for any given kPa column, the trend was (as I've been saying) it would be rich down low and lean up as RPMs increased in that kPa column. Since I was using data primarily from 2,000~3,500 RPMs, it would start to lean out beyond my target above ~3,000 RPMs.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ehh the guy who was going to get the info has already been selected.
Ok, suit yourself...
Old 06-14-2007, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've read this whole thread several times, and it comes down to (for me) that we need proper values for aftermarket injectors BEFORE we can properly start tuning. I have the Ford SVO 42's. I understand wanting to keep some things secret (hard earned knowledge) but imagine how much better we would all be if we were starting out properly with the right values for the injectors. So with that being said I'm very curious what values we should be using......

For reference I've been using the ones posted on page 3 of this post https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...1&page=3&pp=40 since 2005.

Last edited by Viper; 06-14-2007 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

treat em like 58-60pph injectors

Originally Posted by Viper
I've read this whole thread several times, and it comes down to (for me) that we need proper values for aftermarket injectors BEFORE we can properly start tuning. I have the Ford SVO 42's. I understand wanting to keep some things secret (hard earned knowledge) but imagine how much better we would all be if we were starting out properly with the right values for the injectors. So with that being said I'm very curious what values we should be using......

For reference I've been using the ones posted on page 3 of this post https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...1&page=3&pp=40 since 2005.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:11 PM
12 Second Club

So just use the spreadsheet (all that 95% of us have access to) and plug in 58 at 43.5psi?

And Marcin, your overdue for a new post on your blog, love reading it!

Last edited by Viper; 06-14-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah basically. I usually recomend using actual siemnes decka injectors becuase there are actual ratings for them out there. Honeslty the avg head cam car could run the 32pph injectors found on the new ls2 and run with stock ls2 injector variables. aside from the issue with hieght and plug its a nice cheap proven injector. and the flow data is accurate

So just use the spreadsheet (all that 95% of us have access to) and plug in 58 at 43.5psi?
Old 06-14-2007, 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks, it may be worth it to try the LS2 injectors as it's one thing to have the right values for flow rate vs kpa, but the offsets are an unknown as are default injector pulsewidth and minimum pulsewidth's for the SVO 42's. I used the 3 table values from a 2002 Z06 but they don't match up properly to a SVO 42.

"aside from the issue with hieght and plug its a nice cheap proven injector"

What is the issue, will they fit in my 99 fuel rail? LS6 intake?

Last edited by Viper; 06-14-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

Probably old news to most, but to adapt the LS2 injectors you need these (2nd from bottom) http://www.katechengines.com/street_...tail.php?id=21

and ls2 fuel rails.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is me in the photo and what I am thinking regarding the conversation.

Going back to page 1, Why would my MAF Airflow not be effected when I do the special mult with the AFR Error? Below 5000 or 6000 hz it changes nicely, above those does no good.

To be tuning or "dialing in" the MAF at 6k hz and up when at WOT should the MAF Airflow vs Output Freq be changed or does the VE or PE dial it in?
Old 06-14-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the ls2/ls1 has differing mechanical and electrical properties. more akin to what the code was written to control. Those are also a much higher PW precision event to event then the lazzy and slow SVo injectors.

Thanks, it may be worth it to try the LS2 injectors as it's one thing to have the right values for flow rate vs kpa, but the offsets are an unknown as are default injector pulsewidth and minimum pulsewidth's for the SVO 42's. I used the 3 table values from a 2002 Z06 but they don't match up properly to a SVO 42.

"aside from the issue with hieght and plug its a nice cheap proven injector"

What is the issue, will they fit in my 99 fuel rail? LS6 intake?

Quick Reply: Trying to tune MAF