Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car still won't idle correctly even after tuning IAC and RAF

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh
2. Shift IAC table to the right until Idle Desired Airflow is higher than Dynamic Airflow.
Put this table back to stock. It's a common misconception that this table correlates to the size of the TB bypass hole and/or blade opening. This is not the case. It refers to the cross sectional area of the IAC passage that the IAC pintle travels through. So, unless you're using a TB that doesn't use the stock IAC, do not change this table at all.

The Idle Desired Airflow PID shows the airflow through the IAC passage the PCM wants to set. It should not match or exceed the Dynamic Airflow. Shifting the IAC table until Idle Desired Airflow and Dynamic Airflow match is absolutely the wrong way to go about tuning idle.

Once you do this, you'll have to tweak your TB set screw to get your IAC counts in range again, as well as completely redo the RAF table.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
The IAC is pretty quick. I use my throttle cracker in the same manner you use your base timing table. My 1000rpm & 1600rpm cells are zero'd out for every mph. My 400rpm cells are ~1.5grams/second for every mph.
The throttle cracker only works above the throttle cracker enable speed, usually 2mph. In my opinion the throttle cracker is useless for idle tuning. I've almost completely zeroed mine out. The only cells that are not zero i'm using to make the throttle less touchy driving around parking lots in first gear. I've completely zeroed out my throttle follower. I hated how slow the rpms came down after touching the throttle.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh
I was excited until I drove the car and pulled back into the driveway, at which point it started surging again, though not quite as badly as it been before. Why would it idle fine until I actually drive it?
This is ok right now because you made progress. Now you'll want to tweak your under speed and over speed correction tables. These tables change the timing based on how many rpm you are from your desired idle speed. Try moving these tables down so they're more sensitive to rpm beyond your desired idle speed. It'll take some playing but you'll get it to where you want. I've done many laps around my block stopping and starting differently to tweak the idle corrections. This is also one of the areas where the real time tuning available in HP Tuners has come in real handy for me. I make the changes while testing them and then upload what works.

Quick Reply: Car still won't idle correctly even after tuning IAC and RAF